just a road saftey tip for those who want to know.....
  • Register
  • Help

Default just a road saftey tip for those who want to know.....

Just a little note to say that road accidents are real, they happen to anyone and they happen when you dont expect it.

anatomy of a 5 second car crash

im in my ute with a mate this arvo......

driving down marine rd. near pinkinbar........

straight flat level dirt road.......about 50km/h....

looked down at radio (stupid mistake).....

looked up an instant later heading for a ditch on left side.....

Advertisement

try to turn away, back end spins out, now we are sliding backwards and sideways towards the other side of the road.....

front wheel hits edge of road where some dry mud has built up about 3 inchs high.....

rear wheel comes around so we are now facing opposite direction....

the whole lot just tips over onto the roof.

we both crawled out the window, the roof had collapsed and the front window shatered, the alloy tray 'back board' was snapped off. engine stopped suddenly after running for a few seconds upside down, probabley filled a cylinder with oil and bent something inside. more then likely a write off....

injuries, just two head aches and one bruised ego (and bruised wallet)...

lessons learned.......DONT TAKE EYES OFF ROAD, EVEN ON WHAT MIGHT APPEAR TO BE SAFE, a little road in the middle of nowhere might seem safe, but thats so wrong...

seat belts save lives and prevent serious injuries, we would both have had severe cuts to our face if we hadnt had seatbelts on, we would have face planted in the shatered windscreen.....

speed, we might have rolled completely or even several times had i have been going faster, and as it was, approx. 50 clicks was too fast anyways........imagine a gaurdrail at 100 km/h on the freeway, it only took 2 seconds with eyes off road.

just a long winded note to any new drivers out there, this was a slow heavy ute, not a fast sleak peugeot/citroen/renault.....

call me a bad driver or whatever you like, but thats how it was, quiet flat straight backroad......so lucky it wasnt a freeway at a million miles an hour.

Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by 123abc
    just a long winded note to any new drivers out there, this was a slow heavy ute, not a fast sleak peugeot/citroen/renault.....
    I'd definitely prefer a fast sleak peugeot/citroen/renault in any emergency situation compared to a ute. They handle a lot better and are a lot better balanced. Utes are front heavy and once in a spin good luck getting out of it, especially on dirt roads. Glad to see you made it out of that one ok Owen.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 23rd September 2005 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    I'd definitely prefer a fast sleak peugeot/citroen/renault in any emergency situation compared to a ute. They handle a lot better. Utes are front heavy and once in a spin good luck getting out of it, especially on dirt roads. Glad to see you made it out of that one ok Owen.

mmmm, i agree, i was mearly thinking of the fact that i would have tended to be more easy going in my 504, i might have had my foot a bit harder on the pedal which could have made it a bit ugly....

i was quite surprised though, the ute accually held up pretty well, we wernt trapped or anything, just considerably shaken, it happens in the blink of an eye, maybe half a blink if i was in the pug.

Hey, don't think you're a bad driver. It's quite easy to be momentarily distracted & have an accident. Most accidents occur due to driver inattention (ie mobiles, changing tapes, dropping something, spilling coffee, etc) so you're not alone. And, it happens to experienced drivers too.

Now me, today, not far from where you were, I did something bad & now have a small scratch on the rear bumper to display for it. I won't go into details right now (maybe later when I'm not so tired), but I was not being a courteous driver & I got punished. Technically, it was the other guy's fault, but I could have avoided it if I wasn't being stubborn & vindictive.
    Last edited by Industrie; 24th September 2005 at 04:28 PM.

1000+ Posts

Owen, happened to me looking at the radio in peak traffic. Clipped a Foulcan. Lesson learnt.
    Drove behind a tarted up new WRX doing maybe 20 to 30km/h. He was on the phone and a car in front of him had the indicater on to turn right - he didn't see it (too busy). Probably 2 to 3 k damage

Thread Information