Detail clean now required...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Detail clean now required...

Driving along today, minding my own busines, suddenly a ute ahead of me seems to be losing some white powder from its tray. Leaving a large line along the road. I move to the inside of the lane to avoid running through it. There also seems to be some familiar chemical fumes, that I can't quite name.

Advertisement

Anyway, the ute pulls into a side street a bit up the road to check on things & as I'm about to pass I see something on the side of the ute. The smell now makes sense. It's paint!!! White paint!!! And here I am driving along in my nice little black car!!! Anyway, it's too late to follow him into the side street. So, I pull over at the next opportunity (about 1km up the road). Sure enough, there's splatter up the side of car. Looks like i've been in a rally, on a special paint stage. I turn back & try to find the guy, but he's gone. I follow the trail of paint till it runs out a few ks away... No luck. So, I head to a car wash to see if that will get rid of it before it dries. Again, no luck.

So now, I have to spend several hours tomorrow with a rag & some polish getting rid of the spray that reaches from inside the front guard all the way to the tailgate... Not happy Jan!!!

"Oh fully sick spray job bro, did you do it yourself?"...

Mate find the truck and go awohl on the driver..... not. - Chris
    ... ptui!

UFO

Correct me if I am wrong (someone please) but perhaps some wax and grease remover might be better than polish. I think the w&g will remove the paint from the surface "without harsh scratching". Of course you will need to polish the area again after you have removed the splatter.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

You want some solvent(of the correct type) or wax stripper, or some sort of fancy product to save your paintwork.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    "Oh fully sick spray job bro, did you do it yourself?"...
    Naw bro, it wuz Azza, backyard job, mates rates

Tough one industrie, depending on the size of the splashes you might want to check out bunnings for a diluted thinner/solvent, and work your way point by point...that is one...then there is the good chance that the white paint could simply come off using the edge of a plastic scrapper (try and be as tangeant as possible when scraping).

A mate was rennovating, when the paint boy spilled a white paint container off the stairs, splashing through the open window onto their new Black Maxima..guess was one of those AAMI moments
    The painter did the cleaning no worries..since then, the Maxima gets parked in the garage, covered

In Australia: Ď05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: Ď09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Thanks guys. Most of the large spots I can get off by softly scraping with my thumb nail. The rest is coming off with polish. I might try some tar & bug remover, and use it with terry cloth towling. See if that helps speed things up.

Whatever happens, it's gonna take ages. Damn I wish I'd caught the guy, the car would be going in to have a professional job.

We had a similar problem years ago when I was in the car yard.
    A neighbouring workshop decided to spray a corrugated iron fence with of all things "Silver frost" which has mettalic flake as it's base.
    We had issues with the guy who was manager, but rang him to warn him they were making a mess and asked him to stop. Instead, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, he sent the office girl down and told them to "keep it down as there had been complaints."
    Result; we had over 70 cars covered in the stuff, some so bad they literally looked silver. There was about another 30 or 40 cars privately owned parked nearby not associated with either business who also became invoved in the matter.
    When the legal people had finished, it was agreed that we could clean some of the cars and bill this other lot whilst their detailers did the rest so in the process we learnt a few things.
    First thing it's necessary to find the base of the paint. if it's enamel, then Turps or GP thinners (the stuff they sell at places like Auto Barn or Super Cheap for about $9 a litre on special) will soften it. "Prepsol" a liquid used in paint preparation works well and won't damage the paint.
    If it's water based style housepaint, possibly just taking it through a decent high pressure car wash might shift most. The blobs will come off using the thumbnail as you've suggested, but most usually need hitting with a mild cutter to get rid of the fine spray. That is a bit labourious in that most cutter/restorers can only be used a small area at a time or if you know what you're doing, a power buff will do it.
    Most important is......don't muck about getting it done, as we found the hard way as the longer it's left, the more it matures and sticks.
    As a guide, you'll find it the car was freshly polished, it won't be too hard. If the paint was oxidised it will shift easily as it takes the oxydisation with the paint, but worst case scenario is a clean car that hasn't been polished for a while, is clean and the paint is left a few days before attempting to shift.
    Read the instructions on any paint can; that is the ideal preparation for painting and whilst it will come off, eventually, it's gunna be one bugger of a job!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

If its Acrylic (water based) try Metho, normally takes it off & is very mild on the old paint.

I have absolutely no idea what kind of paint it was. None. I think it's house paint, but whether indoors or outdoors, I have no clue. At least the car was pretty filthy at the time. That should hopefully make it easier to clean. Anyway, I'd better go start.

Tried to do some cleaning. Was useless. I was having to rub so hard to remove the paint, that it was damaging the paint. So, I've admitted defeat & gone to my preferred repairer (smash repairs & detail cleaning) for a quote. Comes to just under $650, so I've called my insurer & placed a claim. Hopefully the car will be as pretty as new early next week.

Thread Information