Foggy Car
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Foggy Car

Default Foggy Car

Hey Guys,

Just writing on behalf of my dad here, thought mabye some of you could help out... He bought a new pulsar recently and hates it how the car fogs up so terribly at the cold hours of the night... I said it may be because the car is new and the chemicals in the fabric of the dash are potent, causing the car to fog... am I wrong??? Can anyone tell me the best ways to stop in car fogg (on the windows etc...)

Thanks for the help

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Turn the air-con on and ensure the ventilation isn't on recirculate. A lot of new cars do this due to how well sealed they are (older cars don't tend to as badly 'cos they leak air to the outside world around the doors, windows etc....). A lot of new cars automatically turn the air-con on as soon as you open the windscreen demister vent.

If it's really bad it may be a leaky heater matrix, does it stink like coolant

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Does not stink like coolant no, But the air is halfway between recirculate and open. I will tell dad to make it fully open...

if the actual A/C is not on, then it is just circualting the same humid air
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Rusty, you are right. The plastics used in modern dashes, synthetic carpets and upholstery etc emit gasses when exposed to heat and light (known as 'volatile organic compounds' or VOCs). These vapours stick to the windscreen, and are normally invisible but promote water condensation in cool conditions (windscreen fogs up). It is particulary noticable in more modern cars with highly raked windscreens as the VOCs stick to the surface.

New plastics emit high levels of VOCs, but this will settle down over time. So for the first couple of months your father will probably have to clean the inside of the windscreen quite often to keep it fog-free. A product like 'Fog-Ex' which is applied to the inside surface of the windscreen might also help.

He could also try fitting an after-market dash mat, but as these are usually made from synthetic materials it will probably release VOCs of its own.

Using the aircon will also stop fogging - this works by dehumidifying the air striking the cold inside surface of the windscreen, thus as there is not much moisture in the air, water does not condense. However, it doesnt matter if you use recirculated air or fresh air, they will both work just as well.

Then again, it is probably better that he uses fresh air all the time, as VOCs are toxic and introducing fresh air will help dilute them (that "new car smell" might just be killing you!)

Cheers
    Michael W

74 D Special

Quote Originally Posted by DSpecial1
    Rusty, you are right. The plastics used in modern dashes, synthetic carpets and upholstery etc emit gasses when exposed to heat and light (known as 'volatile organic compounds' or VOCs). These vapours stick to the windscreen, and are normally invisible but promote water condensation in cool conditions (windscreen fogs up). It is particulary noticable in more modern cars with highly raked windscreens as the VOCs stick to the surface.

New plastics emit high levels of VOCs, but this will settle down over time. So for the first couple of months your father will probably have to clean the inside of the windscreen quite often to keep it fog-free. A product like 'Fog-Ex' which is applied to the inside surface of the windscreen might also help.

He could also try fitting an after-market dash mat, but as these are usually made from synthetic materials it will probably release VOCs of its own.

Using the aircon will also stop fogging - this works by dehumidifying the air striking the cold inside surface of the windscreen, thus as there is not much moisture in the air, water does not condense. However, it doesnt matter if you use recirculated air or fresh air, they will both work just as well.

Then again, it is probably better that he uses fresh air all the time, as VOCs are toxic and introducing fresh air will help dilute them (that "new car smell" might just be killing you!)

Cheers
    Thanks heaps mate , I will get on to it...

again, Oscar

Rusty.
    In the short term give the windows a really good clean with Methylated spirits, and for longer term get them tinted. It looks cool and help reduce foging.
    I can tell you from 1st hand experinace that Fog-x (fromt he same makers as Rain-X) dosn't work for sheet!... the rain-x though does. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thanks Chris Funnny you say I have too use metho, I had a whole bottle full until last night to clean my new roll cage I tripped over it and it spiled out everywhere leaving me no more metho

Better go buy some moe metho

Definitely hot air causes fogging
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Quote Originally Posted by DSpecial1

Cheers

And don't use Armorall (or whatever the damn stuff's called, or any of the equivalents) on the inside of your car, it will make the film on the inside of the windows much worse.

Best
    Mike Brown

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    It looks cool and help reduce foging.
    Looks cool??? You did notice that he said Pulsar, right???

Pulsar is cool Is it the 4dr or is it a hatch I was going get the hatch a few years back in black.... what was i thinking even going to the dealer to see the car

No offence, cause your dad is not a teenager who wants to look cool in their ride.

Thread Information