HELP! Stone Chip in Windscreen!
  • Register
  • Help

Default HELP! Stone Chip in Windscreen!

Yesterday a rock chipped my windscreen on the bottom right drivers side, about 1cm from the edge of the screen. It's a small surface chip, and a crack the curls under the glass almost Ĺ a circle - about the size of a 5c coin.

I've called O'brien to see if I can they can repair it - they can but aren't open today & it's gonna be quite a hassel juggling an appointment with them and work - right now I'd like to avoid this if possible.

What are my other options to repair it (prevent further cracking)? I'm sure someone here has done it themselves, what does it involve? Where can I get a repair kit of some kind?

Advertisement

Any help/advice is most appreciated, thanks!
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi
    '04 CitroŽn Xsara VTS missed

Quote Originally Posted by OG15
    Yesterday a rock chipped my windscreen on the bottom right drivers side, about 1cm from the edge of the screen. It's a small surface chip, and a crack the curls under the glass almost Ĺ a circle - about the size of a 5c coin.

What are my other options to repair it (prevent further cracking)? I'm sure someone here has done it themselves, what does it involve? Where can I get a repair kit of some kind?

Any help/advice is most appreciated, thanks!
    You should seal it imediatly with tape to ensure no moisture gets in. I have not seen the DIY windscreen repair kits in Australia for years, I suspect you have to get it done by a profesional.

regards
    sean

There's nothing that the super glue can't fix (or silicon tubes)

In Australia: Ď05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: Ď09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by sdabel
    You should seal it imediatly with tape to ensure no moisture gets in. I have not seen the DIY windscreen repair kits in Australia for years, I suspect you have to get it done by a profesional.

regards
    sean
    I sealed it first thing this morning with some waterproof UV Tape. I'm just worried about temperature change causing the glass to expand/contract.

I haven't been able to find any info on DIY kits in Aust. but there was this one from the UK on eBay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DIY-Windscree...QQcmdZViewItem
    Would this be worth a try? Or should I just take it to a pro? The money isn't my concern, it's just a hassle.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    There's nothing that the super glue can't fix (or silicon tubes)
    I suspect you're kidding, but I do have access to this special UV glue used to repair crystals, I'm just worried I won't be able to get it in the microscopic cracks.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi

I suspect you're kidding, but I do have access to this special UV glue used to repair crystals, I'm just worried I won't be able to get it in the microscopic cracks.
    If it ain't the glue, then its the sticky tape

Can't recall where I had seen those round sticky tapes that go onto chips from the outside to prevent moister in.

In Australia: Ď05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: Ď09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

O'Briens have a freebie credit card size folder that has a couple of clear patches that you can put over the damage to seal out moisture etc
    I have a little gouge on my 405's windscreen and it hasnt changed in about 3 years.
    If it is a star type crack I have found that these cracks spread with body flexing and/or heat. my Telstra 4wd has gone through 5 windscreens in under 3 years (165000ks). it starts off as a star chip then gradually spreads.
    you may be lucky if is a little gouge type chip with no "arms" radiating from the damage site

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Quote Originally Posted by Decca
    O'Briens have a freebie credit card size folder that has a couple of clear patches that you can put over the damage to seal out moisture etc
    I have a little gouge on my 405's windscreen and it hasnt changed in about 3 years.
    If it is a star type crack I have found that these cracks spread with body flexing and/or heat. my Telstra 4wd has gone through 5 windscreens in under 3 years (165000ks). it starts off as a star chip then gradually spreads.
    you may be lucky if is a little gouge type chip with no "arms" radiating from the damage site

Decca
    I had a good look at it today in full sunlight, it's worse than I first thought. It's a full blown star, I really hope it doesn't spread. At worst I'll have to replace the windscreen, I'd rather not cus a replacement will never be as good as the original fitment.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi

Tadpole

hey OG15,
    we had 2 on our windscreen from driving past big semi's. its best left to the professionals like sdabel said as if its not done properly it can cause the chip to turn into a star and destroy the screen. most window guys can do it for you but its pretty expensive (ours was $50 for the first 2 and $20 for another 2 from memory although he did come to us to complete the job). good luck with the repairs.
    yp

I had a stone chipped fixed on the Xsara VTS. Because it also happened on the weekend, I ended up getting Obriens to come out and fix it at my work. They could have come out on the weekend, but they charged some whopping call out fee for the weekend.

I had these clear round stick on's that Novis was giving out on time. I just made sure the area around the chip was clean before I put the sticker on it.

Hopefully it can be repaired, or if not, Citroen have a windscreen in stock. The VTS is different to other Xsara's sold here in that it was the only Xsara in the range with the rain sensor.

Troy.

I used to do loads of travelling between Adelaide & Roxby Downs and in 4 years I went thru 3 windscreens - mainly thanks to road trains. I never had a problem getting O'Briens to come out on a Saturday morning to replace it. I never paid a cent as my Insurance companies "free windscreen" policy covered it everytime.

Since I've had the pug I've not seen any damage at all!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Yeah i also have a few stone chips on the Xsara, apparently too big to freeze now, but i do have NRMA cover for it, so i can basically change the windscreen whenever i want.

However, never leave you drivers window open whilst driving, gee it's a dangerous thing these days, had a decent size rock just missed me, flying through the cabin and out the other window!!!
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be taking it in to O'Briens tomorrow on the way to work, hopefully it won't make me too late.

I hope it's repairable, I'm pretty sure it will be. If not, I too have NRMA comprehensive insurance, I haven't checked my policy but if windscreen replacement is a standard thing I'm sure I have it too - I'd just rather have the original windscreen (I've read the seals around the screen will never be as good as the original).

I'll let you know how the repair goes.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi

You can see the crack because of air. Just a thought, but if you put super glue on it and then drew the air out with a vacuum, like a toilet plunger, whilst the glue is still wet, then when dry cut off the excess with a razor blade scraper. I think the way it works is that the air is replaced with a fluid.

Default I've done it!

I used one of these plunger/syringe jobs on the old Commodore's windscreen with good results, but many years ago. Basically you get a syringe with clear liquid in it (it looked and smelled like cyanoacrylate to me) and a small plunger cup on its end.

You place it over the damage and and pull back on the syringe several times every couple of minutes. It was obvious the mechanism serves to draw out air and replace it with the glue. Then remove and clean the excess. I think I found it at Brian's Auto Speed Shop in Elizabeth St in Melbourne. Is that place still there or is it all Autobarn now?

I had the chip repaired this morning at O'Brien, they did a good job. It's almost invisible, just 2 tiny scratches that you would only notice if searching for them.

I feel a lot better now that it has been repaired, thanks for your help everyone. Hope this thread helps others too.
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi

I had the chip repaired this morning at O'Brien, they did a good job. It's almost invisible, just 2 tiny scratches that you would only notice if searching for them.

I feel a lot better now that it has been repaired, thanks for your help everyone. Hope this thread helps others too.

hi OG15,

gr8 2 c ur happy with o'briens can i ask did u get a quote? how much? how long did they need the car? & finally what was the final cost?

kind regards,

e.sport

Quote Originally Posted by e.sport
    hi OG15,

gr8 2 c ur happy with o'briens can i ask did u get a quote? how much? how long did they need the car? & finally what was the final cost?

kind regards,

e.sport
    I didn't shop around at all, I really just wanted to get it fixed ASAP. Over the phone they quoted $98 and that's what I paid - I think it's their standard for this type of repair.
    When I called the lady asked a few questions about the chip - How big is it? How long ago did it happen?
    The sooner you get to it the better - to prevent dirt from getting in there (dirt increases the chance of the crack spreading). She said there wouldn't be any problems repairing it if it was not bigger than the size of a 5c coin.
    They repaired it in about Ĺ an hour. I took it to them cus that worked out easier for me, but they will also come to you for the same price (makes me think I got ripped off, but it was so much easier for me to take it to them).
    '10 CitroŽn C4 HDi

Icon7

I didn't shop around at all, I really just wanted to get it fixed ASAP. Over the phone they quoted $98 and that's what I paid - I think it's their standard for this type of repair.
    When I called the lady asked a few questions about the chip - How big is it? How long ago did it happen?
    The sooner you get to it the better - to prevent dirt from getting in there (dirt increases the chance of the crack spreading). She said there wouldn't be any problems repairing it if it was not bigger than the size of a 5c coin.
    They repaired it in about Ĺ an hour. I took it to them cus that worked out easier for me, but they will also come to you for the same price (makes me think I got ripped off, but it was so much easier for me to take it to them).
    OG15, thanks 4 that e.sport

Thread Information