Write off criteria??
  • Register
  • Help

Default Write off criteria??

Have a look at this.

Advertisement

That car is going up for auction at Pickles in Sydney but is not shown as a statutory write off; how come?
    We bought a BX16V with about equal damage that could have been restored, yet it was a stat write off (can't be re-registered) and I've seen others with nowhere near this damage that have also been declared 'legally dead' yet this gets through?
    Who sets the criteria for these or is it a bit of hit and miss.
    When we bought the BX incidentally, they were selling for around $6K - $10,000 so economically it was more viable than this one, so the economics can't be a governing factor.
    Unless this was petrol poured on from outside, it looks like very big hot fire, so much so that it's gone back into the cab.
    Beats me.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default write off`s

Alan ,
    the car you highlight could be a private entry to the auction,
    I suspect the insurance assessors are the ones who declare the status, the guidelines for Tasmania are found in this link should be common Australia wide?

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/reg..._questions.html
    (edit thanks Alan) )

read down to stat. write off`s.

cheers Ranger
    Last edited by Ranger; 13th September 2005 at 06:35 PM. Reason: changed to a clearer link
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

According to guys in the trade up here, this is a licencing system that is tendered for every year between the auctions and I understand it is usually either Fowles or Pickles who usually get it. I doubt that ownership private or otherwise will have a real lot to do with it becuse its purpose is supposedly to prevent rebirthing stolen cars. I don't know how many other States do this but usually there is some semblence of similarity between them all, but lately, I've seen cars that have been tailended, late model stuff that appears to be repairable getting written off, then you see something like this, so if the onus is on the auctions, they're certainly getting some conflicting decisions being made by their assessor.

Alan S

1000+ Posts

Default Fire bombing!

Alan that pattern looks very much like a fire bombing attempt, but I agree that the bonnet looks like it got hot enough to peel the paint. Looks like the burning petrol etc poured down the side towards the nearside wheel.

Might be o.k. in the engine compartment.

ken

Could it be that on certain cars things like the ID and compliance plates are damaged beyond redemtion or destroyed? If the plates are aluminium and molten by the heat, or crushed it would probably make it difficult to identify the car from the registration point of view, therefore the car becomes a statutory write-off.

That Pug looks like an underbonnet fire, with the circular pattern on the bonnet, the flames having licked up from under the wheelarch. If it was a firebombing, the petrol would have drizzed down with flames over the top of the bonnet, and the grille would likely be melted

I agree Simon. To me it appears that the fire has been inside the cab also if you look at what appears to be smoke damage to the inside of the windscreen about in the centre of the dash, which is almost identical to our red BX fire car that's a Stat W/O. Ours didn't have all that much external damage actually by comparison.

I see his "P" plate survived at the rear though.

Alan S

Thread Information