Vale LJK Setright
  • Register
  • Help

Default Vale LJK Setright

Those of you who read CAR magazine in the 70's and 80's would undoubtably know of this eccentric journalist. He wrote a column in a section that included George Bishop, Phil Llewellyn and Russell Bulgin, all of which have passed on in recent years.

Leonard John Kensell Setright was 74.

More information about Setright and his opinions on various cars including Citroens at this link;

Advertisement

http://www.automobear.com/index_home_content.html

Fellow Frogger!

thanks for the news, I am saddened to hear of LJK"s death, he wrote many knowledgeable and at time provacative articles, with an understanding of Citroen that many journalists lack, I will miss his writing

I too am sad to hear that he is gone - eccentric but wonderful. I was given a copy of 'Drive On' earlier this year, and it's a great read, if in need of a good sub-editor at times. He devotes a lot of space to various Citroens, especially the DS.

There is an interesting interview with him from last year here -

http://www.granta.com/features/2004/12/setright.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb
    thanks for the news, I am saddened to hear of LJK"s death, he wrote many knowledgeable and at time provacative articles, with an understanding of Citroen that many journalists lack, I will miss his writing
    I too am saddened to hear of LJKs passing.
    I agreed with his choice of cars/engines and I sorta felt I was on the same wavelength (to a minor extent) starting on Citroens & moving onto other more powerful marques.

He wrote an excellent little book on Bristol cars (leather bound naturally) and I met him from time to time when he was President of the Bristol Owners Club and I was living in UK in mid 70s. Most of the other pommy club members were so up themselves they were inside out - but he was always charming, never condesending, and interested to hear tales from 'down under' ( when the snooty poms acted as if I was lying).

And he was so interesting as he loved good engineering wherever it came from.
    So many projects - so little time.

Pity. A good writer, and very much his own man. A welcome and rare characteristic in a motoring journo.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

He was unique. Certainly a large factor in CAR being the best car rag around at the time.

1000+ Posts

He actually still wrote for a UK mag I buy monthly, called Hi-Fi World.

Maybe his modified Linn Sondek will be up for sale now...?

BTW he still drove a 4ws Honda Prelude (remember he used to go on about them?) until his death.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Unlike most journo's he was really fascinated by how things work. He just loved explaining things to people. He loved clever engineering, and hated gimmicks.
    The Prelude 4WS was a really great car, so good on him forholding on to it.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

1000+ Posts

Yes, he just loved the engineering purity of Honda, and knew the engineers personally, including Soichiro himself. Although he was extremely pretentious, I suppose some might say he had a right to be; he was damn near a genius and also a concert level clarinettist amongst other achievements.

I still have lots of CAR mags containing his articles. Might be prime time to stick them on eBay!

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information