Next gen PSA engines coming when?
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Default Next gen PSA engines coming when?

I've just been reading up on some new Volkswagen engines which have got me quite excited so I was wondering if there is any news out there about developments on the PSA front? I remember reading they were working with BMW on their petrol engines.

I hope they manage to stay competitive with VAG:

1.4 TFSI:
    At the International Motor Show (Cars) in Frankfurt, Volkswagen is presenting to the general public a ground-breaking innovation in the drive sector: The world’s first twin-turbocharged FSI engine – the “Twincharger”. The compact 1.4 litre direct-injection engine develops up to 125 kW / 170 PS and has a maximum torque of 240 newton metres in the range from 1750 to 4500 rpm thanks to the combination of an exhaust turbocharger with a mechanically driven compressor.

The 1.4 litre engine delivers a power output of 90 kW / 121 PS per litre, representing a peak value for a series production four-cylinder engine. Furthermore, the “Twincharger” delivers a torque corresponding to a naturally aspirated engine with a swept volume of approx. 2.3 litres. And its fuel consumption is around 20 percent lower.
    2.0 TDI:
    Volkswagen is also launching the Golf GT with the most powerful diesel engine on the market and the most powerful that has ever been available ex-works in a Golf: the 2.0 TDI with 125 kW / 170 PS: The exceedingly frugal Golf GT 2.0 TDI is exciting to drive because it offers impressive power reserves in all situations. The direct-injection pump/nozzle turbo diesel with piezoelectric elements, four-valve technology, two overhead camshafts and a diesel particulate filter as standard develops 125 kW / 170 PS at 4000 rpm. Its torque curve reaches an imposing maximum of 350 newton metres on a plateau of 1800 to 2500 rpm. The performance figures for this, the most powerful Golf TDI ever, are convincing across the board: It achieves a maximum speed of 220 km/h (136 mph) and accelerates from stationary to 100 km/h (62 mph) in only 8.2 seconds; and all this with a consumption of only 5.9 l/100 km (47.9 mpg) diesel.
    http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...kswagen/1.html

Advertisement

Do you think this might be the future of petrol engines? Having a few turbos and a much smaller capacity than usual? And a 125kw/350nm diesel engine in a hatch is just hot
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

a quick surf on the PSA/BMW engines found:

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_10...wsarticle.html

http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/12/...ange_in_detail

(some entertaining/ridiculous/tiresome comments in the second link...i just found them amusing - 'keep britain german!' )

seems weight reduction & efficiency were as much a priority as power output (fair enough too). weight reduction is as much a friend to performance as economy, after all. which is not to diminish the VW efforts - impressive specs indeed.

this one shows some potential for the engine (pity it won't be sold)

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/porta...opDefault.aspx
    Time Flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana
    Xantia

Thread Information