205Gti variations
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205Gti variations

This might seem a simple question to most, but I'm trying to get some information regarding engine and performance variations for the 205Gti. I'd like to find out if there were any 'special' models released, even if they weren't released in Australia, and which of them is the best, performance wise. Any website people could point me to would be great also.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Jamie

Default Elusive, the answers are.

`Master, 24 hrs have passed.`

Not come yet, suggestions have.

Unified in search, we must be.
    http://au.geocities.com/earthworkssydney
    Earthmoving, Excavations, Trench Digging, Rubbish Removal etc.

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Yes, but you are forgetting some of the overseas special editions and variants.

The 205GRIFFE is my personal fave in that green with the anthracite speedline rims. There is a Dutch guy that logs on here that has one.

There is also the 205FM1 or something like that. Only 40 built I think from memory and only in the UK. Nothing special about them except the full leather seats.

The 205T16 road going super beast.. 16v, turbo, 4WD, mid mounted engine. Why there hasn't been one of these since the 205 is a crying shame. Imagine a 206T16 4WD....be an awesome WRX killer in day to day traffic! Good luck getting one of these for less than $100,000 plus.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Thanks everyone. Those euro 205s sound like the business. I'd like to track down one of those 4wd ones and bring it out here. Would be an excellent club/track car.

Jamie

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by radioactiveman
    Thanks everyone. Those euro 205s sound like the business. I'd like to track down one of those 4wd ones and bring it out here. Would be an excellent club/track car.

Jamie
    It would probably cost quarter of a million and be impossible to maintain parts wise.
    They hand made a couple of hundred to qualify for the Group B rally rules, not many left, some were purposely destroyed by the factory.
    Graham

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Have you no kindness?!!!!

That was some knowledge that didn't need to be shared Graham!

Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    It would probably cost quarter of a million and be impossible to maintain parts wise.
    They hand made a couple of hundred to qualify for the Group B rally rules, not many left, some were purposely destroyed by the factory.
    Graham
    Thanks for the info, but it just makes it more of a challenge for me. I've already found a handful on the web for sale (mostly in France and priced at upwards of 60,000 Euros).

Jamie

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Yeah, I remember seeing a couple for sale in Switzerland for like 100,000Euro, but those were rally spec ones rather than the road going T16s.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Yeah, I remember seeing a couple for sale in Switzerland for like 100,000Euro, but those were rally spec ones rather than the road going T16s.
    I wouldn't get too excited about a road going one, they only have the same 0 to 100 km/h time as a Euro Spec (130hp) 205 GTi 1.9.
    I believe the EVO1 kit doubled the original price but was neccessary for the car to be competitive, one thing it did was to reduce the turbo lag of the road car.
    Graham

As you have now read, a T16 will cost you the earth not only to buy, but also to maintain. They're rare as hen's teeth, and if you do manage to find one, it's either well beyond a new M3 price range, or it's had a hard life and will cost tens of thousands to return to it's mechanical/performance standard to which Peugeot designed it.

As I understand it, most of them are LHD also.

I'm sure we'd all love to see one in the flesh if you did decide to buy one, but unless you've got at the very least upwards of 200K champing at the bit to get out of your wallet, then think twice.

From a collectors point of view it still makes little sense financially to anyone in Oz. They're not recognised to the point that they are desirable to anyone who could afford to buy one. I doubt even Lindsay Fox would take an interest.

I'd go with the good old 1.9 GTi and love it for what it is, and just sit back and enjoy the lift off oversteer!

Tadpole

Even over here in Europe there weren't many 205 GTi special editions - the Griffe was available in certain parts of europe and had dark green metallic paint, full leather interior and a few other bits and bobs.

In the UK we had the ultra limited edition (25 only)205 GTi 1FM (named after Radio 1) which ran the promotion/competition - these were seriously expensive and came with a 6cd changer, uprated speakers, aircon, anthracite alloys and ABS.

There were some 205's around towards the end of the production run that had auto gearboxes and aircon - these were from a batch destined for Japan but the order was cancelled for some reason and sold through UK dealers.

There was also the special edition Gentry which was a similar spec to a 1.9 GTi but it came in a couple of rare colours (Aztec Gold and Oberon Green) with full leather and a few other bits.

Fellow Frogger!

Don't forget the 205 cabriolets...
    05' Megane 225 Cup

moosey

There's a book called "Sporting Peugeot 205's", written by Dave Thornton who was very involved in the Peugeot Sport Club UK, that should help if you can track one down. Try www.autobookworld.com.au or do a google search

Thread Information