P Plater will learn quickly
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default P Plater will learn quickly

Sitting on the M5 the other day heading out to the Missus', and we're crawling along at about 15-20km/h (about 5k's short of Livo i think)... and all of a sudden a white van goes flying up the Break down lane!!!
    Must've been doing a good 90k's an hour.

So not only is it illegal, but ridiculously dangerous!
    Seeing the green P's on the back really got me annoyed, as that sort of action is just going to lead to someone's injury sometime soon! (hopefully his)
    Of course he was followed by a nice big 4WD a bit later on...

After that i was on the lookout to do the block, but never happened...

Advertisement

So on i went & 10mins up the road... & there's the fuzz!!!
    and there's the P Plater in his van, in the breakdown lane! LOL
    Cops going back to the paddy wagon & there's a very worried look on the guys face in the van.

I'm pretty sure the P Plater got pinappled...!

It also worries me about how many bikes do this, as you can imagine the amount of debris off the driving line!!! Was saying exactly that to the missus as a bike went up the inside & sure enough he went through a patch with some glass & a metal bracket! not too good at 100km/h!

I see this sort of crappy behaviour every second day, usually on the "on" ramp from Casula where these impatient [email protected] do the inside run to get there 30sec earlier.

Got to admit, there is a certain pleasure seeing one of those types getting booked. I have even been known to stop and mention to the officer that the person involved had carved me up in traffic nearly causing an accident and was willing to give evidence along with the "minister of war and finances".
    (Brooks road exit two weeks ago, ponce in a grey import toyota seca).

Going the block, is a bad move as all the gun totin redneck half-breeds out there need no excuse to break out the bat and RR.

As for the bikes, these guys do not last long, until the above mentioned rednecks pull out on them and it’s all over red rover---road pizza.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

XTC

Soon just about everything will be covered by hoon laws. (not that I've ever seen any French car hoons, mainly Commodores and Silva's etc)

New WA hoon laws means as a resident you will be able to take someone's number plate and report them ... and with no other evidence they may impound their car / fine them. One persons word against another.

Also anyone more then 45kms over the limit will have the car impounded under the hoon law. While I have no issue with this, it was the STUPID statement made by the police minister Michelle Roberts. She said, while it was perfectly reasonable for people to inadvertency during a moment of inattention to go 5-10kms over the posted limit, 45kph you must make conscience choice to do so ...

Wanna rewind on that "perfectly reasonable for people to inadvertency during a moment of inattention to go 5-10kms over the posted limit", do my ears deceive me .. are they now saying that it's "human" to make mistakes and go over the speed limit ? In that case why do people get fined for 5kph over ?

Now many of you know my take on this (the limit is the limit, NOT the limit plus what ever you think is reasonable at the time) ... that aside the anti-speed camera lobby should be taking this little gem from Michelle and asking please explain? ... I know I would be. !

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

The sad thing is that these guys will roll over motorists who are in the E lane changing tyres or had a break down etc. Thought the recent spate of events with motorists being run over had stopped a lot of these antics...people do have short memories

I am glad when they get done
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

I saw a similar situation a couple of years ago on the Eastern Freeway...
    I spied in the rear view a Subaru Libery RS absolutely flying down the (left hand!) emergency lane while traffic was at a standstill.
    About 50-70m ahead of me, a Toyota Soarer decides he's had enough, starts to pull out without using indicator, mirror or brain.....*KERRRUNCH!!* gets collected on the A-post/front door by the flying Subie which was airborne fpr a split second, dragging the Soarer along and landing a few metres further down the emergency lane.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Jez 405
    I spied in the rear view a Subaru Libery RS absolutely flying down the (left hand!) emergency lane while traffic was at a standstill.
    About 50-70m ahead of me, a Toyota Soarer decides he's had enough, starts to pull out without using indicator, mirror or brain.....*KERRRUNCH!!* gets collected on the A-post/front door by the flying Subie which was airborne fpr a split second, dragging the Soarer along and landing a few metres further down the emergency lane.
    Who would be 'at fault' in the above situation or would the respective insurance companies just split it 50/50?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by Jez 405
    Magic moment! That one goes straight to the pool room ...

Eastern Freeway is also good for occasional shots of glee -- and toots of applause -- when a solo driver in the transit lane meets the law a little closer into town (where all the rest of the traffic's crawling or stopped and he's got nowhere to go).
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

In many other countries bikes are allowed to drive down the middle of lanes in stopped/jammed traffic. I suppose this is to help clear congestion a little by removing the guys who have to use a leg to hold up their vehicle when it stops from the queue. :p

About speed limits (Slightly OT... but bugger it, i want to voice my opinion!):

Something that really bothers me is how much emphasis is placed on the speed and not on the car. I think it should be noted that having olympic radials on your australian v8 will greatly increase the braking distance, especially in the wet. When you do something irresponsible like cheap out on tyres, you can still drive at the speed limit, noone cares.

I am a huge fan of active safety. I think preventing an accident is always better than being in one (albeit in a "safe" car). I know the odd time will come when you will really need passive safety (if someone runs a red light and collects you etc), but i think driving "SUV's" because they're safe is a right load of selfish, irresponsible crap.

You might be saving your kid by plowing over that micra that crossed the lines, but did you ever stop to think "hey, someone's kid could be in that micra!".

What a selfish society we live in. The ones who try to make a difference by driving efficient, light cars (which don't make big dents in things even when they do hit) are the guys who will suffer the worst.

I guess nice guys do finish last (or first... depending on how grim it gets).
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

1000+ Posts

Default Quick thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    Who would be 'at fault' in the above situation or would the respective insurance companies just split it 50/50?
    Would not be the Toyota soarer driver of course as he would merely explain that his car was playing up on him/overheating/stalling or whatever and he was pulling into the emergency lane to stop and see what was causing it's problems. my

That would certainly be his explanation once he spoke to his lawyer.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    That would certainly be his explanation once he spoke to his lawyer.!!
    Agree that's what a lawyer would say, hoping it would automatically absolve his/her client from any responsibility to obey the basic rules of the road -- like checking for oncoming traffic before diverging ...

And I'm not sure about that distribution of costs -- I'm tipping it would be more likely to be 100/100, if the insurance companies are doing their job of disowning the problem at the slightest pretext of an excuse. At the very least, most policies depend on you disclosing all information that might affect their decision to underwrite the risk, and I'd think that even an occasional habit of travelling in the breakdown lane might well be included in that category ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Thread Information