mobile scratch removal?
  • Register
  • Help

Default mobile scratch removal?

Some p***k keyed my pug while I was at Bunnings yesterday. Does anyone know of a mobile scratch removal service that does a good job in fici=xing such things or will it mean a respray of the panels?

Advertisement
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Depends on how deep it is. It is posible to do it yourself. This article is quite good on doing it yourself:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

Otherwise, any smash reparier that also has a detailing service should be able to do it for you. I've had minor paint damage fixed by my dealership who happens to have a body shop on the same premises.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

You could supply more comprehensive details - or a picture of the affected area. A line is much harder to remove than a chip or small ding. Metallics add another aspect of difficulty. If it's anything like the colour in your avatar, then that can be really hard.

If it's large enough, consider getting a panelbeater to quote on it, and possibly claiming. The reason is, you will then have a warranty on the repair work. A mobile service may be quite dear for a larger amount of detail, and the materials/methods are always a compromise compared to professional workshop results. A good, liveable compromise sometimes, but not the same.

Most places hold security video for 7-14 days. You can make an FOI request for specific video footage if there were cameras covering the area you parked in. Generally this is not free, but it may assist...

Regards, Adam.

Addo,
    It's a line...a bloody long line from door panel to parts of the rear panel....totally peed off! May have to get the panels resprayed $$$$$. Will see if detailers can do something about it first

1994 Silver S16 - Gone

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    Some p***k keyed my pug while I was at Bunnings yesterday.
    I really don't know why people do this ... jealousy ?? Mean spirited?? Or just plain stupid ?? I know of a few Peugeot owners this has happened to.

If it's scratched right through respray is often the only cure , worse if it's dented though.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Could be some one's idea of fun...like bashing people in the park etc. My pug is 11 years old and just because it is bright and shiny some F has to key it...sick in the head I reckon. A mate of mine had the driver side of his new HSV R8 kicked in while he was parked in the street....figure that one out!
    Break their fingers or kneecap them!

1994 Silver S16 - Gone

If it's a surface scratch, then possibly a bottle of that colour coded slightly abrasive polish would be the best bet. ("T" cut?)
    If it's gone through the clear coat, then possibly a light touch up spray with clear followed by a buffing will restore it. However, if it's gone into or through the colour coat, it might be worth getting a quote for an insurance claim, mainly because a lot of these irridescents on French cars are done in 2 Pack which often means a panel respray but can sometimes be made a bit cheaper if the doors have a bumper strip or similar that allows a hidden cut off point for the painter.
    2 pack is great paint as regards wearing ability, but an absolute pain when something like this occurs due to it's inability to be touched up.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

If it spans the rear quarter, that's 1200-1500mm on many smaller new cars. What a mongrel. There's not much between some people's ears.

Definitely get a panelbeater you trust to look at it; if only for an opinion. Most have an autoquote system or years of experience to "reckon" a repair quite accurately. Modern paint is so thin; it's designed to wear well within the service life of the vehicle and not much more.

Regards, Adam.

Am getting a panel beater friend to look at it closely next week...just costing me money unnecessarily when I am budgeting for new tyres and rego. bugger!
    Thanks for your thoughts..hope ithis sort of thing never happens to anyone else on this forum or others

1994 Silver S16 - Gone

I learnt years ago that with all the low life loosers we have around these days, I have 2 cars. One I use around shopping centres and park in dark streets and the "good" car to go places in.
    The thing is with losers, they never seem to bother a crappy looking car, it's the nice ones they target mainly because they've got no ambition in life so know they'll neveroown one (apart from stealing it) and it irks them to see anyone getting something out of life. Waste of space and good oxygen most of them.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information