Waterless Washes.
  • Register
  • Help
    XTC

Default Waterless Washes.

Anyone tried them, should you trust your paintwork to them, and will we have little choice soon as water restrictions get tighter and tighter ?

Advertisement

Be good to have a safe way of washing on a more regular basis without the whole set-up I usually go through.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I dont trust the stuf they sell at Kmart as waterless washes...

Once you apply something like Klasse All in One (it lasts up to 6 months unlike Caruba wax based products) dirt glides off much easier so it's really quick.... so i dont need a hell of a lot of water. Just 2 buckets (one with a car shampoo that's not too strong to hurt the wax) and a clean bucket to rinse the microfibre mit every panel or when it gets dirty. Once the car is soaped up I thow a few bottles of water on it for a quick rinse and then use a wax as you dry product to give it a bit of extra shine. It's important to use a couple of good quality microfibre drying towels in this step. Takes me 5-10 minutes a week at the most. These days I do it once every 2 weeks anyway.

Well that's my process anyhow... I think it works quite well

I've applied Klasse All in One with my new PorterCable polisher after getting rid of a lot of little swirls and using some detaling clay too (it took ages but it made the car look super clean). After the Klasse, the next day I also applied some Natty's paste wax to enhance the shininess The full detail takes 4-5 hours if I do it solo. But that's every 5-6 months and to keep it looking good i just do the quick wash described above.
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    I dont trust the stuf they sell at Kmart as waterless washes...

Once you apply something like Klasse All in One (it lasts up to 6 months unlike Caruba wax based products) dirt glides off much easier so it's really quick.... so i dont need a hell of a lot of water. Just 2 buckets (one with a car shampoo that's not too strong to hurt the wax) and a clean bucket to rinse the microfibre mit every panel or when it gets dirty. Once the car is soaped up I thow a few bottles of water on it for a quick rinse and then use a wax as you dry product to give it a bit of extra shine. It's important to use a couple of good quality microfibre drying towels in this step. Takes me 5-10 minutes a week at the most. These days I do it once every 2 weeks anyway.

Well that's my process anyhow... I think it works quite well
    Do you wet the car first? 5-10 mins? Impressive!
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

Fellow Frogger!

I use Poorboys Spray N' Wipe, it is a waterless wash of sorts but i mainly use it to remove light to medium dust, I use it with a quality microfiber towel and it saves a heap of time as well as water, there are some other products out there but not too sure how they perform.

Currently the Poorboys distributor in Australia does not have any Spray N' Wipe but has Adam Waterless wash and a few water saving washes

http://www.waxit.com.au/products.asp?cat=28

I also use the two bucket method as desribed by slick, still uses water but not as much. Although it takes me more then 10minutes, I think the best I have done it in is about half an hour and i skipped the door jambs and wheels
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by ACT180
    Do you wet the car first? 5-10 mins? Impressive!
    because of the water restrictions I dont really wet the car as much as I should. I just throw a few bottles of water on top or maybe just one bucket to start things off. I think the estimate should be closer to 10 minutes but it's so quick I normally do it just before I leave for work in the mornings. I'll be doing it tomorrow if I am not running late.

I should emphasise that this works well on a car that's had a bit of wax/sealent applied and also has regular quick washes. If I leave it for too long then I have to battle bird crap and other spots with bug and tar remover... it takes a lot longer and I would not attempt somethig like that before I leave for work in the morning. If I did I'm sure I'd be at work after midday
    2004 Clio 182 current

oh one more thing... I dont bother with the wheels when I do this quick wash. I've been neglecting them badly but it doesnt show.
    Since moving to EBC steet kevar pads there's a lot less brake dust and I've also used some crazy Michellin spray what keeps the dust off. It's like a bit of polish on the wheels that makes it harder for the dust to stick to the wheel. It works alright but it's $20 a bottle. It's a good thing I got it as a present
    2004 Clio 182 current

Bugs and bird poo I find need a soaking. They come off so much easier without elbow grease and nasty chemicals that way.
    A sponge or squirt of water every 15 minutes or so a few times before you try and remove them helps heaps. Ever tried washing your car after it's been out in the rain?
    Dirt comes off so much easier.
    Tar is a different matter, it's not really water soluble hey.

Marc

I saw the service crew at the Subaru ARC camp at the rally uses a whtie aerosol can that sprays out white foams to clean the car, i'd like to get some of those, but i can't read that label on the can, it's definitely a shelf product.

Jason
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    I saw the service crew at the Subaru ARC camp at the rally uses a whtie aerosol can that sprays out white foams to clean the car, i'd like to get some of those, but i can't read that label on the can, it's definitely a shelf product.Jason
    With the rate at which those guys respray, reshell and replace cars, they may not be too bothered about the long term effects.
    unfrogged (for now)

yeah but i only want to use it at RA2005...

anyone can point me to where i can find them in melb ??

Jason
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    Anyone tried them, should you trust your paintwork to them, and will we have little choice soon as water restrictions get tighter and tighter ?

Be good to have a safe way of washing on a more regular basis without the whole set-up I usually go through.

- xTc -
    I have used the brushless car wash a few times now. Works bloody well. Cost 10 bucks all up for wash and wax. Don't know though how harsh it is on the paint work....possibly no more so that a brush type???

Regards,

Scott

Thread Information