New car - should I get the windows tinted?
  • Register
  • Help
    NFG

Default New car - should I get the windows tinted?

I'm hopefully picking up my new Megane on Thursday, but I'm not sure if I want the tinted windows or not. My thinking is: I want tinted windows, I don't want to pay $700, but I don't want a shoddy job done by another shop.

People tell me the mad Australian sun is strong enough that I really ought to consider it, and I want to protect my new 225 as much as I can.

Is it a good idea? Should I spend the mad cash or can someone suggest an alternative?

Advertisement

Thanks for any suggestions.

get tinting it is worth it, i will never not have tint on a car again. it does work and look cool.

dont pay $700 from a dealer, when i bought my last car, i got the whole car tinted at the dealers cost price (mates rates) for $220 for 3m top quality.

get them to throw it in with the deal.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Good quality

Don't use the dealer get a quality film only and you will be happy.
    I had a cheap dealer job on a company car and the heat transfer was just the same as without tint. Next company car i paid extra for the top quality out of my own pocket and it was worth it.

I have a friend in trade and top tint for 406 was $220-00

Graelin

Default Get the Tint!

Greetings...

I would definitely get the tint. Apart from protecting your dash, it does help the airconditioning do its job.

Definitely do not get it from the dealer...when I bought my C2 last year, it would have cost me $650 to get it done at the dealer...so I went down to my local Tint Professor, where I had a great job done for $265. And I got to drove a poxy Hyundai loan car in the bargain!

My

Cheers
    Tony - '04 C2 - Black
    '02 Triumph Sprint ST
    '05 Vespa PX200e

Yeah do it mate, as the owner of a dark blue car i wish id done it years ago, the air-con works heaps better, economy is up because the air con isn't working so hard, interior heat levels are way down and it looks after the upholstery. $300
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

XTC

Do it while it's new, the glass will never be in such clean, knick free condition again (yes they prep the glass anyway), and the UV factor alone, your skin will thank you. 3M has never let me down.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    Do it while it's new, the glass will never be in such clean, knick free condition again (yes they prep the glass anyway), and the UV factor alone, your skin will thank you. 3M has never let me down.

- xTc -
    Who does 3M in Perth anyway?

Troy.

You will find the windows already have a tint, about 30% which is created during manufacturing of the glass - a bit like mixing cordial. The maximum we can go in SA is about 45% by law, so it's not really worth it. Car dealers offer around $600 less for a trade-in with heavy tint because they know it will have to be taken off to comply when they sell it to the next punter.

I would have tinting on any car I owned always.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Who does 3M in Perth anyway?

Troy.
    You'd have to call 3M to find out who the dealer is. They tend to have one exclusive dealer per city... and it may have changed since Guy had his done.

I can highly recommend the 3M tint too. It's very nice.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Who does 3M in Perth anyway? Troy.
    DMS Osborne Park, but check the PCCWA site for sponsors

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Does anyone know if you can get 'Athermic' tint ... Like the new windscreens it stops heat transfer .... You bloody die in summer sitting under that big CX windscreen (Sauna anyone ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Does anyone know if you can get 'Athermic' tint ... Like the new windscreens it stops heat transfer .... You bloody die in summer sitting under that big CX windscreen (Sauna anyone ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Thought about that myself. 406 will be getting a later model athermic screen (if i can afford it) when its comes replacement time. Question is, do the Australian windscreen makers do athermic ones for the ever increasing number of Euro cars with them. If so, they should be able to do an athermic as a special order for the CX or anything else.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    DMS Osborne Park, but check the PCCWA site for sponsors

- xTc -
    Ahhh, I should check the website a bit more often. Thanks Guy.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Thought about that myself. 406 will be getting a later model athermic screen (if i can afford it) when its comes replacement time. Question is, do the Australian windscreen makers do athermic ones for the ever increasing number of Euro cars with them. If so, they should be able to do an athermic as a special order for the CX or anything else.
    I believe pugrambo (or maybe Alan S?) posted something a while back saying that any Australian manfacturer can make an athermic windscreen. I don't recall it costing much more as long as you called around...
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Definitely get it - I think it should be mandatory in this fine country of ours - just like air con :-)

If some silly used car salesman tried to tell me he was knocking $600 off my trade in because it was tinted, I'd ask him to crawl back under the rock he must have just climbed out from under
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I once read that at best, window tinting makes <5% difference to interior temp.Anyone got any real data to the contrary??I consider tint a liability.I'm anal about my glass and clean it more than my underarms.I dont believe tints handle excessive cleaning, and it only takes one scratch and its stuffed.having dogs, a P.A, and friends with double basses and amps,I continually have sharps up against my glass,and it handles it, but a tint wouldn't. My other issue is the rear demister just doesn't seem to be designed with tint in mind.Then there is the issue of optical quility.Dont know about other cars, but the fuego has this light green tint to the glass already, that seems to make the tints go purple-ish and look crap.being Mr Fussy,I had to combine the glass from 3 different cars to get all the raw glass exactly the same colour, as when I removed the tint, all the pannels were different colour.The only area where I believe tint to be of any real value is with the security that comes from people not being able to see into your car.
    Jo

I agree with not getting it done by dealers, Rick damelian of leichardt had mine done when i bought it, and it was totally messed up. They had to remove it and do it again. Its still a rough job too, all the corners are cut all jagged. The first time they did it, they didnt tint right to the bottom of the glass, i couldnt believe it. But i agree thats its worthwhile, and that you should get it done by someone reputable.

I had the 306 tinted a few years ago with Solartint Formula 1 (darkest legal) and it was just under $250. It's got some crazy warranty and it looks awesome with my white paint. It's made a huge diffference in hot summer days combined with my new air con

have it done for sure ... get something with good warranty .... and dont pay $700 !!
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

BalleR it just occured to me... It looks like that Renault Clio in your avatar is strangely familiar. Like maybe you gave me lots of lifts from UNSW on your way home. Is it you Ben ?

It has to be. You got your car from Rick Damelian and I remember you going crazy when you noticed they've stuffed up the tint job and forgot the last centimeter at the botom when you fully put up the windows. Haha - Must have been done by the work experience people

Slick - Vlad
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Thread Information