AF - a great place to share knowledge
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Default AF - a great place to share knowledge

It always amazes me the level of knowledge on this forum.

The people here have helped me numerous time diagnosing problems with my pug, recommending good pug parts suppliers, good mechanics and all the do's and don't and pros and cons of our french cars, it really has helped me a lot.

The beauty of this forum is the wide range of professions that are represented here, and I know that if I also need help with an iPod that won't boot, or a lawn mower that won't start or anything, I can ask the question in the toad pond, and it usualy gets answered and once again good advice is given.

Advertisement

The same goes for the motorsport forum, we can talk about how well Loeb is doing in his Cit' or Alonso in his Renault or the 306GTi6 nerly beating a Ferrari and coming 3rd in the East Coast Classic. And the unfortunate withdrawral of Thorpe in his 604.

I think both these forums mentioned are important to the AussieFrogs community. I think it's a shame to see them go.

that's just my worth.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Gerry,

I'd ask you to start a thread here inviting members to make constructive suggestions about the way forward for AF. Keep it completely positive and constructive vet posts closely and delete posts that dredge over the recent events.

My two cents worth is

*a bigger pool of mods to share what obviously is a big task.

* consider more formal links with the peak marque groups in each state or territory and invite them each to nominate a couple of mods for the pool.

*alternatively you could just call for expressions of interest from AF and try and build a bigger team in which each marque is represented more or less equally.

* mods remain marque specific ie: each marque should regulate it's own forum and that mods from the pool turn over regularly so that you don't get situations where one person is left holding the baby.

* a simple code of good conduct for members and moderators

* a dispute resolution process that is clearly understood by all members and moderators

Alternatively consider reconstructing AF on a club format with a subscription system, formal constitution and regulations for its operation. That way members could "own the forum" in a sense.

We all agree that the forum is a worthwhile thing and I don't think anyone can or would dispute the fact that you have created something very worthwhile for french car owners across the globe.

If you find any of the above unhelpful please feel free to delete this post.

John
    Last edited by BogMaster; 2nd September 2005 at 12:51 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

twm

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    It always amazes me the level of knowledge on this forum.

The people here have helped me numerous time diagnosing problems with my pug, recommending good pug parts suppliers, good mechanics and all the do's and don't and pros and cons of our french cars, it really has helped me a lot.

The beauty of this forum is the wide range of professions that are represented here, and I know that if I also need help with an iPod that won't boot, or a lawn mower that won't start or anything, I can ask the question in the toad pond, and it usualy gets answered and once again good advice is given.

The same goes for the motorsport forum, we can talk about how well Loeb is doing in his Cit' or Alonso in his Renault or the 306GTi6 nerly beating a Ferrari and coming 3rd in the East Coast Classic. And the unfortunate withdrawral of Thorpe in his 604.

I think both these forums mentioned are important to the AussieFrogs community. I think it's a shame to see them go.

that's just my worth.

Shame to who/what go?

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

Fellow Frogger!

I moderate another large-ish Forum and can testify to the mammoth amount of work required to keep things on track - I commend you efforts!

Although abit of a shock - I think your decision is a good one - What remains is the core of the success of the forum.

The formation of a 'club' with membership presents its own set of problems - just one of those being that any lunatic can join and then vigorously dispute being thrown off for bad or just plain weird behavior. I have been threatened with legal action a few times - its no fun at all - and weirdos abound!

Basically any structures put in place restrict users and moderators and gives the monkeys something to hang on to. If I sound a little twisted, jaded and bitter about some of my experiences - It could be true.

Lastly - the reputation, community feeling and tech knowledge on this forum makes it one of the best I have ever experienced - You and your members ought to be congratulated.

so cheers!

****IN DISGRACEFUL

THAT IS ALL

Fellow Frogger!

It's a shame, but as I'm not putting my hand up to take on the moderating workload don't feel I can complain.
    unfrogged (for now)

This is the most under-moderated site I have ever been on.

Other sites would ban you instantly for indescretions. Being a member on someones forum is a privelage not a right.

I think the mods do a great job.
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    ****IN DISGRACEFUL

THAT IS ALL

ditto
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    Gerry,

I'd ask you to start a thread here inviting members to make constructive suggestions about the way forward for AF. Keep it completely positive and constructive vet posts closely and delete posts that dredge over the recent events.

My two cents worth is

*a bigger pool of mods to share what obviously is a big task.

* consider more formal links with the peak marque groups in each state or territory and invite them each to nominate a couple of mods for the pool.

*alternatively you could just call for expressions of interest from AF and try and build a bigger team in which each marque is represented more or less equally.

* mods remain marque specific ie: each marque should regulate it's own forum and that mods from the pool turn over regularly so that you don't get situations where one person is left holding the baby.

* a simple code of good conduct for members and moderators

* a dispute resolution process that is clearly understood by all members and moderators

Alternatively consider reconstructing AF on a club format with a subscription system, formal constitution and regulations for its operation. That way members could "own the forum" in a sense.

We all agree that the forum is a worthwhile thing and I don't think anyone can or would dispute the fact that you have created something very worthwhile for french car owners across the globe.

If you find any of the above unhelpful please feel free to delete this post.

John
    i'm not up on the details of the trouble that is had with managing the site, but i'm sure there would be a lot. as we all use this for free i think we should appreciate the administrators discretion here on managing their quality of life. i have seen quite a few threads and posts that i don't agree with, so i don't participate in them. but they are still there, so i can see how it maybe a 'slap in the face' to whom run the forum.

i think this would be a good place, as john suggested, to start pooling ideas so that AF can keep providing a forum that is a positive information hub that we the users and the administrators feel is worth while.

there are some interesting ideas in John's post, perhaps someway to solving those issues. such as the code of conduct and dispute resolution. that way members can be easily managed. but of course you can easily register again with another identity. perhaps thats where the idea of owning a part of it comes into its own, you are most likely going to take better care of something you own.

like any true tight arse aussie i'm not really keen on parting with my money and membership may fall as a result of a fee or subscription. it may also prove hard to attract new members in the future. although at first it may have only the 'desired' characters (which i have a few 'elitist' concerns with), all in all it can make for less people to "share the knowledge", but if it is a solution... perhaps guests can only look or post at certain areas such as cars and parts for sale.

i certainly will miss the 'parts for sale' section, i think this could be argued that this was probably more useful to AFers than the 'Cars for sale' as we already have french cars! perhaps 'Parts' could be managed in the same way the 'Cars for sale' is.

as for the less car orientated sections of AF, i am not adverse to them, i just never used them. although the diversity makes for an more interesting forum and french car enthusiast community, if i ever needed info on something other than a french car, i would go to a forum about that.

so perhaps it should get redirected to be a french car focused community forum, for the sake of ourselves and the administrator. we are after a balance i presume.

and i would really like to see all members, current and future, post with the credo (if you will) "sharing the knowledge" in mind, that has been lost, somewhat...
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

RIP Aussiefrogs

1000+ Posts

Default Agree and its not easy.

I tend to agree with both John and Aaron I think we have all seen the best and worst of forums.

If advice or help is required in any of the particular forums including those in the general forums, they have always been answered promptly and with a depth and breadth of knowledge that is outstanding.

We have people from all backgrounds, young and old only too willing to share the knowledge, there are ex moderators who know the pitfalls and the absolute insanity that can prevail where egos and personalities clash, but nothing is unrecoverable if the same depth and breadth of knowlege is tapped that makes this forum so much a place to share the knowledge.

At the end of the day it is a privately run and volunteer supported forum lets advance rather than retreat from this hiccup. (Not to trivialise perceptions that led to the actions taken)

Ken

al

It seems widely accepted that technical discussion isn't what makes this place great... How can AF survive without off topic discussion? It is about all we do...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

I think many people who have been members for a while, and all own french cars and all share french car advice, etc. etc.. Actually find some of the off topic discussions very valuable. The same advice and knowledge sharing helps members here with 'off topic' questions. The same goes for the Motorsport forum for example, it isn't even off topic if you ask me, loads of discussion there about french cars and mootorsport and race days or events that members compete in.

Losing certain sub forums here is a big loss in my opinion to the members who contribute equally to on the on topic discussions.
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

nJm

I would say that the off-topic area did get a little out of control at times and that resulted in flow on into the actual froggy forums. I completely understand the mods wanting to remove it due to recent events. However I do agree with the others in saying that Aussie Frogs has become a really social place. It is a real shame the 'social/clubs' forum has been removed. While I haven't been a huge participant this year, I would definitely say one of the best things about AF has been meeting people online with similar interests and then actually getting together in real life. We understood that forum organised drives had to be suspended due to potential liablity in the event of accidents (which seemed far too common), however it was the drinks and dinner nights that many of us looked forward to.

I do think the toad-pond added as well as detracted from the forum at times, but the social/events/club type forum should definitely stay open so it is easy to organise another get together. Failing that is it ok if we make stickies at the top of the Froggy Chat forum for these events?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Think of AF's as a normal French car, as it ages it ends up having problems. Some people see the problems as character, other see the problems as annoying nuisances. Whatever, the car gets taken off the road, tuned and developed for the new age. The problems are eliminated or overhauled and it emerges all the better for the future. Think of the present regrouping as tuning and developing for the future.

The chassis, balance and essential essence will likely remain the same, it's probably just a matter of deciding which ricey bits to add for the tasteful modifications.

My two cents worth
    The toad pond kept the toads off the other forums
    And
    I recon a lot of you guys are WAY too thin skinned
    Bring it all back & chill out a bit guys
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Keeping the Cars for Sale, but ditching the Parts? Cant see the logic on that one. And the humour was pretty inoffensive I thought...

Toad Pond was a riot, and highly amusing. I think a section where you can crap on about whatever is great, and adds to the social atmosphere. If some people get annoying - IGNORE THEM. Sheesh, were mostly adults.... I would be happy if the moderators just left us to our own devices - I am happy to take criticism where needed, and tell those who I think are annoying to get lost (or ignore them). But I have never had a problem with anyone, and stay out of the arguments - too many other interesting things to do with my time...

And what was wrong with the motorsport - i'm pretty sure french cars are involved with motor sport...

To summarise - lighten up people. Its just a chat forum.... Fun and frivolous (and occasionally helpful) , just the way we like it.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Sharing the knowledge is a large part of it, but hey , have some fun guys, and if we can't organise social stuff with like-minded people that's a bit poor. And motorsport? Isn't that what a lot of us are here for?
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    Sharing the knowledge is a large part of it, but hey , have some fun guys, and if we can't organise social stuff with like-minded people that's a bit poor. And motorsport? Isn't that what a lot of us are here for?
    totally agree
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

al

How about some feedback from the mods that are currently online??

Or are we in the "sit in the corner and don't talk to anyone" phase, and when we are good are we allowed to chat again..?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

What the? When did this happen.. I missed that one!

It's a pity and I think that all the comments that have been made here are pretty much spot on.

In the great words of Kurt Cobain - Oh well, whatever, nevermind!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Icon13

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Keeping the Cars for Sale, but ditching the Parts? Cant see the logic on that one. And the humour was pretty inoffensive I thought...

Toad Pond was a riot, and highly amusing. I think a section where you can crap on about whatever is great, and adds to the social atmosphere. If some people get annoying - IGNORE THEM. Sheesh, were mostly adults.... I would be happy if the moderators just left us to our own devices - I am happy to take criticism where needed, and tell those who I think are annoying to get lost (or ignore them). But I have never had a problem with anyone, and stay out of the arguments - too many other interesting things to do with my time...

And what was wrong with the motorsport - i'm pretty sure french cars are involved with motor sport...

To summarise - lighten up people. Its just a chat forum.... Fun and frivolous (and occasionally helpful) , just the way we like it.
    Damn well put Haakon!! I really think all the removed forums were the best aspects of Aussiefrogs. I like giving and receiving advice on car topics but I mostly enjoyed the light humour, info, testing of ideas and hearing of others, and of course the french relevant parts for sale/motorsport and social events were always very informative.

Sad day!
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Where's Super Asanka to put his spin on the whole thing?
    205gti

twm

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon

Well put, what wrong with parts for sale, and sure the toad pond was enjoyable. If I only came to this site for cars and techo info I would loose interest very quickly and use it as a "If I need to". I think it will loose charater if you get rid of the toad pond, and why get rid of parts for sale?????

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

it's sad to see the parts for sale section be axed... It was so useful ! Were there too many dodgey traders causing trouble in there ??
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information