Steering wheel cover on a 504!!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Steering wheel cover on a 504!!

As my 504 now lives out in the street I decided to purchase a steering wheel cover to reduce UV damage and provide better grip.
    It is the original steering wheel with an overall diameter of 410mm.
    The cover from SuperCheap says fits from 365mm to 430mm.
    Easy stretch fit, etc.
    I've now had two attempts to get it over ending in total frustration and near exhaustion.
    Is there a special method to this or am I'm supposed to pre-heat in an oven?!!!????
    It fits over okay at the start point but there is no way will it get anywhere covering the wheel.
    It is described as a moleskin cover and as it is black it would look quite nice if
    only there was a way to get it to fit.

Advertisement

I have looked and pondered this question. Out of the blue left lateral think
    tells me that, you need to:

squeeze the cover flat so that it will go over the steering wheel and be behind it.

Now fit it as you would expect starting from the top, when you get to the point where you can't force it on anymore, rest, and be happy that you can now see the edge that you need to work on. get some talcum powder and spread a little over active surface and with the wrong end of two teaspoons, preferably old, round end, strong, slowly level from side to side incremental by incremental, until voila, you have broken two teaspoons and your thumb and need to drink neat whisky, ho ho ho, anywho, that may help if not go to supercheap and swear a lot.

ed ge

Otherwise soak in water until stretchy and try again!

ed ge

Edgy, you aren't perchance related to Mr Smith who writes a column in Two Wheels magazine? You sure sound like him at times.

Not a bad thing, mind. Not owning a motorbike I only buy Two Wheels to read Smith.

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    I have looked and pondered this question. Out of the blue left lateral think
    tells me that, you need to:

squeeze the cover flat so that it will go over the steering wheel and be behind it.

Now fit it as you would expect starting from the top, when you get to the point where you can't force it on anymore, rest, and be happy that you can now see the edge that you need to work on. get some talcum powder and spread a little over active surface and with the wrong end of two teaspoons, preferably old, round end, strong, slowly level from side to side incremental by incremental, until voila, you have broken two teaspoons and your thumb and need to drink neat whisky, ho ho ho, anywho, that may help if not go to supercheap and swear a lot.

ed ge
    Edge shows his humouros side. Fitting one of those wheel covers is painful. Perhaps heating with a hair dryer or leaving the thing in the sun for a while might help.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

If your 504 is a later model with the smaller rubbery type wheel I'd be wary about putting a cover on unless you never want to take it off again or your wheel is already starting to perish. Wheel covers have a habit of melting themselves to these wheels - maybe one of those reflective type slip over covers for when it's parked might be better.
    My
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:
    R19RT; 1979 504GL Berline with Factory Air; S3 205GTi; 206GTi; 505STi; R4

Quote Originally Posted by PUG_504_505
    As my 504 now lives out in the street I decided to purchase a steering wheel cover to reduce UV damage and provide better grip.
    It is the original steering wheel with an overall diameter of 410mm.
    The cover from SuperCheap says fits from 365mm to 430mm.
    Easy stretch fit, etc.
    I've now had two attempts to get it over ending in total frustration and near exhaustion.
    Is there a special method to this or am I'm supposed to pre-heat in an oven?!!!????
    It fits over okay at the start point but there is no way will it get anywhere covering the wheel.
    It is described as a moleskin cover and as it is black it would look quite nice if
    only there was a way to get it to fit.
    i buggered around for a million years one sunday morning trying to get a super cheap cover on............and pulling as hard as i could it eventually broke the plastic?/rubber? inner liner and then slipped over nicely, it looks terrible but i hate hot sticky steering wheels so its good for me!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelh
    If your 504 is a later model with the smaller rubbery type wheel I'd be wary about putting a cover on unless you never want to take it off again or your wheel is already starting to perish. Wheel covers have a habit of melting themselves to these wheels - maybe one of those reflective type slip over covers for when it's parked might be better.
    My
    I've had that problem. I've purchased two covers and unable to get them to fit on with heating ... lubrication .... blood and sweat. Ripped both of the in the end. I realised that the cover that was already on it was of the stitched on variety (which had melted into the rubber anyway) but I couldn't find one of that type on the market anywhere. I ended up getting a new steering wheel and now keep a silver cover on it day and night.

Otherwise you may be able to get someone who does leather work to make up a stitch on variety for you?
    PJ

Someone recently recommended the sort of tape cyclists wind around their handle bars? I intend to investigate.

ed ge

it's likely to take me a while to pick the other one appart.

Thread Information