Unhappy Motorcyclist
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Unhappy Motorcyclist

Well, I was stopped at a set of lights, about to turn right (T intersection). I was in the inside of two right turn lanes when this motorbike comes up between me & the car beside me. Not a problem. Happens all the time. The problem is that when the light turned green i pulled away slightly quicker than him & he then decides to cut across my path from the outside of my lane to the inside. I have to hit the brakes to avoid hitting him.

Advertisement

Obviously, I'm a little miffed. I mean, if you're going to cut through traffic at least make sure you're not cutting other people off & slowing them down. Anyway, by the next set of lights I'm actually in front & he's behind in the same lane. So, in an act of pettiness I squeeze as tight to the car next to me & stop the biker from moving up the middle of the line.

Damn, did this piss him off. For the next 5kms I get given the finger several times & then finally he goes off at me at a set of traffic lights calling me a sook & several other choice names. I just sat & smiled at him.

By the way, over the 5kms I saw him almost change lanes into a couple of different vehicles (including me again) because he wasn't looking poperly. Actually, I think he may have been looking all round to see where I was.

I just had to get that off my chest. Ok, so I didn't take the moral high ground, but I feel good about the incident. Hey, so I'm vindictive & petty. It runs in my family.

Tadpole

Sound like he was a bit of a knob, as a motocyclist and a car driver, i dont have any prob with bikes going up next to me at the lights, as long as they can get away faster than me so dont get in the way. If your on a decent bike and have even a basic knowledge of how to use it that shouldnt be a problem unless you are next to a maserati or somthing.
    '95 306 S16

Yeah, i'm the same. I generally find bike riders to be some of the better road users, because they have to be more vigilant than people in cars. This guy was just a waste & he spoke like an inbred... Really, he did!

he spoke like an inbred... Really, he did![/QUOTE]

Must have been a real Queenslander "A"
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

shouldve road raged the mofo, like that maori and his trusty hammer.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

twm

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Well, I was stopped at a set of lights, about to turn right (T intersection). I was in the inside of two right turn lanes when this motorbike comes up between me & the car beside me. Not a problem. Happens all the time. The problem is that when the light turned green i pulled away slightly quicker than him & he then decides to cut across my path from the outside of my lane to the inside. I have to hit the brakes to avoid hitting him.

Obviously, I'm a little miffed. I mean, if you're going to cut through traffic at least make sure you're not cutting other people off & slowing them down. Anyway, by the next set of lights I'm actually in front & he's behind in the same lane. So, in an act of pettiness I squeeze as tight to the car next to me & stop the biker from moving up the middle of the line.

Damn, did this piss him off. For the next 5kms I get given the finger several times & then finally he goes off at me at a set of traffic lights calling me a sook & several other choice names. I just sat & smiled at him.

By the way, over the 5kms I saw him almost change lanes into a couple of different vehicles (including me again) because he wasn't looking poperly. Actually, I think he may have been looking all round to see where I was.

I just had to get that off my chest. Ok, so I didn't take the moral high ground, but I feel good about the incident. Hey, so I'm vindictive & petty. It runs in my family.
    same guy must have got to sydney,had a bike go up between me and another car in heavy traffic, dosnt sound bad ............

except we were doing about 40k at the time, not a smart move must have had his helmut on too tight.

I mean it would be the car drivers fault if he got squashed.

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

i sure you could at least ague that inclination if push came to shove

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

The problem is that when the light turned green i pulled away slightly quicker than him & he then decides to cut across my path from the outside of my lane to the inside. I have to hit the brakes to avoid hitting him. Quote

If you pulled away quicker than him , how come he's in front of you? Sounds to me like a situation that should not have occured if you had just let him go. Is this a race or what?
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twm
    ....must have had his helmut on too tight.

I used to know a gay German guy called Helmut. I wonder if it's the same one?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

twm

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    The problem is that when the light turned green i pulled away slightly quicker than him & he then decides to cut across my path from the outside of my lane to the inside. I have to hit the brakes to avoid hitting him. Quote

If you pulled away quicker than him , how come he's in front of you? Sounds to me like a situation that should not have occured if you had just let him go. Is this a race or what?
    Cheers
    Mike
    Bikers get caught off guard when a car can jump off quicker than they do, all of a sudden they are not in front anymore, some sort of physcological phenomen takes over and they then hit the throttle to get back in front, usually cutting off the car by this stage. They then usually abuse the car driver, hey not the cars fault, thye should not make three lanes out of two. I must admit though I had a car do this to me once, he was actually abussing me because he could not get between me and a parked car.

I usually let the bike go its easier than coping the abuse. Rea;;y annoying when they do it when your turning.

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

twm

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I used to know a gay German guy called Helmut. I wonder if it's the same one?
    Sorry left out an L Hell Mut

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

Quote Originally Posted by twm
    Bikers get caught off guard when a car can jump off quicker than they do, all of a sudden they are not in front anymore, some sort of physcological phenomen takes over and they then hit the throttle to get back in front, usually cutting off the car by this stage. They then usually abuse the car driver, hey not the cars fault, thye should not make three lanes out of two. I must admit though I had a car do this to me once, he was actually abussing me because he could not get between me and a parked car.

I usually let the bike go its easier than coping the abuse. Rea;;y annoying when they do it when your turning.
    I'm a complte nutter, I ride bikes (Italian) and drive cars(French). I consider myself to be a (reasonably) sensible bike rider, hey I'm still alive after 35 yrs liscensed, but, yes if you're going to split the traffic at lights etc you've got to be prepared to give it shit and get the hell out of there when Green Day comes.
    One of the reasons I recon I'm still alive is, I split traffic, get away in front, into the gap, where, in Perth at least, there's no traffic. In the city it's cars that kill you. And above all, whether driving, or riding, the best pilots are the ones that no one notices. If you are attracting attention, you are driving badly.
    We've all seen bad bike riders, after all it's always been the poor mans way to ultra performance and with that comes an attitude, f*** you and your fancy frog tin top! Don't stoop to it, you're above it man. Arn't you? Nil Barsido Carborundum, Don't let the barsards grind you down
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Pretty game taking on a hairy @rsed biker.
    My fave trick was to left fist the wing mirror, (as the driver, obviously was not in the habit of using it), soooo funny seeing the new wizzy electronic motor controlled ones hanging there like the "dangle of hung men".

No seriously, let em go....
    I have seen many come and go, this guy is destened for the slab or some really big guy to emerge from a mini with a chain......

This contributor does not endorse the use of hurtfull words or offensive hand gestures, only MBF.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Cheers
    Mike
    It's hard to say, because this happened so quickly. I think he actually got a split second start on me, just enough to get in front, and then I took off and accelerated harder. Then he cut in front of me. This actually took place over a distance of around 10 metres, or less.

As for being a race, I never try to race bikes & extremely rarely am I goaded into traffic light races anyway. I just naturally take off quickly. It's an old habit formed when I used to race people from lights. That & having a grandmother who was a rally driver & at the age of 87 will still stick it to people at the lights, have had a huge affect on my driving style.

Nil Barsido Carborundum, Don't let the barsards grind you down
    Cheers
    Mike
    Sure that shouldnt be "Nil Carborundum sub illigitemi"
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

UFO

Not sure if this is completely relevant, but we found out last night that a good friend of ours in Canberra (who Pajamas also knows) is currently in Canberra Hosp with both lower legs broken, multiple broken ribs, collapsing lung, broken shoulder etc. Why?

He was riding his BMW bike and a car driver ignored a give way sign and took him out. Not a great experience.

We all need to look out for and consider all other road users I would suggest.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

twm

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Not sure if this is completely relevant, but we found out last night that a good friend of ours in Canberra (who Pajamas also knows) is currently in Canberra Hosp with both lower legs broken, multiple broken ribs, collapsing lung, broken shoulder etc. Why?

He was riding his BMW bike and a car driver ignored a give way sign and took him out. Not a great experience.

I feel for your friend and hope he recovers AOK, I am sure he will.

There are idiots on both sides but I think the point here is that in this case the bikes are putting themselves in a dangerous situation and get upset when it dosnt work out for them. a bit like sticking a fork in a toaster, probly be ok 9 outa 10 times but the tenth??

I once saw a taxi pull out in front of a bike (taxi totally wrong), the bike hit amidships and the rider did a summer sult over the top and he landed about 5 meters down the road flat on his back. He then got up and started walking back to the taxi, he was a very big boy with a very colorfull jacket on, a gang of some sort. I did not stay but I pity the taxi driver.

I usually pull left and wave bikes past if they are in a hurry and have a good respect for bikers, but it gets up my nose when they sit in your blind spot and then complain about you didnt look, or make 3 lanes out of two in MOVING traffic or dont quite get off the mark quick enough and then cut you off, and yes there are bad car drivers as well.

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

Quote Originally Posted by ElZilcho
    Sound like he was a bit of a knob, as a motocyclist and a car driver, i dont have any prob with bikes going up next to me at the lights, as long as they can get away faster than me so dont get in the way. If your on a decent bike and have even a basic knowledge of how to use it that shouldnt be a problem unless you are next to a maserati or somthing.
    Even a Maserati would only get in the way of a decent Superbike ridden well

he spoke like an inbred... Really, he did!
    Must have been a real Queenslander "A"[/QUOTE]
    Or a Kiwi !

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARK BIRD
    Must have been a real Queenslander "A"
    Or a Kiwi ![/QUOTE]
    Or from anywhere on this planet.
    BTW don't thind Massas are as quick as a good Superbike off the line.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO

Thanks for a sensible post.

Mike Brown

French car and BMW bike owner.

Must be Bikers day today as I was driving to Kinglake and Healesvilee, tons of bikes , many doing some really crazy speeds on the twisties. Returning to Melb on Marrondah Hwy. 3 bikes took off from the lights at a rapid rate, about a 1 km down the raod, one was sprawled out on the ground, his bike totalled in the front end and a 3 ton truck stopped along wiih a Nissan Pulsar or something a few metres up. So must have collected the car or truck or the other way around. With the incredible accelleration of superbikes today, drivers can hardly see them in thier rear visions especially when they are weaving and overtaking recklessly in traffic or lane splitting. Good riders appeared to be fewn and far between today, all I could see was dangerous risks taken by many of them in less than ideal conditions
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Default Looney Bikers & Tin Tops

Although I haven't ridden for the last 5 years I've covered close to a million k's between my bikes.
    These days if I'm at a set of lights in a car and a bike comes up I'll give them a split second too take off. If they happen to stall this gives me a chance to avoid hitting them. Never do I think to myself, well, "I'll just take off as normal and it's up to him/her to stay out of the way".
    How is a motorcyclist too know your grandmother is a rally driver at age 87 ? Give 'em some space (the bikes). On a motorcycle it is much much safer to be out (in front) of the pack rather than amongst it.

Car drivers who try to drag bikes at traffic lights are plain stupid. If your normal traffic light take off is at F1 speeds because your grandmother drives rallies this is also stupid at $1.30+ a litre fuel prices. If the bikes in front, just back off a bit, they should be out of your way soon enough. Your endagering everyones lives for what? Your own ego maybe ?
    The slightest touch can ruin that persons (& their families) lives for good. Not worth it for a moments intolerance.
    I'm sure you wouldn't have felt so good that day had that episode turned into
    something tragic, even if the biker was an idiot. It's easy to feel safe and cocky sitting in a tin cage.

Cars dragging bikes proves nothing as there is no comparison between a car and bikes power to weight ratios. You mention "Maseratti", ElZilcho. I remember reading a test about ten years ago between a Ferrari and a Suzuki 1100 on a race track with timing gear. It wasn't until speeds of well over 160km'h were reached that the Ferrari overtook the bike. That's when the aerodynamics kicked in on the Ferrari. Even the most streamlined bike is not so aerodynamic when viewed from the front although they may appear streamlined from a side view. A good example of this is - ever watched a pushbike take off from the lights ? Not much power but not much weight. They can get half way across the intersection before the cars catch up ! It's all got to do with weight, (pushies don't have much) and that's where cars loose out.
    It's the price you pay for creature comforts.

Mark Bird. In reply to your post about the biker being either a
    "real Queenslander or a Kiwi". My guess is this person was a learner.
    With experience,I'd certainly think twice about putting myself between two cars knowing I'd have to lean/turn on acceleration (T intersection) as my acceleration on the bike would be limited by tyre adhesion while leaned. In other words, a bike cannot get away from cars in the same manner while leaning as in a straight line.

I know myself that I did some pretty silly things on the roads in my younger years,most of us have. Fortunately I'm still here and know better now. Give 'em space, we all make mistakes.

The other thing I'd like to point out is that most (but not all) bike riders on our roads are young males. If you were to take this group of people and put them in cars what would their driving styles be like ?

For sure, the biker seemed to be a ninkum-poop but let 'em go as they are the ones that will get hurt. Just give them space in the first place.

Remember when it comes your bit of the road - you are taking up 4X the bikes space and if every 1 or 2 occupant cars on our roads were on a bike instead we wouldn't have these traffic problems in our cities.
    The reason for traffic congestion in the first place is that one person takes up roughly 3 metres by 2 metres of road space in a car. Think of what a bike uses?

The bottom line is that the bike is using a fraction of your road space so give 'em space. If every bike on the road was an extra car instead of a bike this would only worsen the traffic flow.
    Bikes don't slow traffic, every bike means one less car on our roads.

If a bikes come from between the lines of traffic, give 'em space and don't use the line "this is my bit of turf". As no good can result from this attitude.
    Just remember every bike is one less car on our roads.

...and yes this particular biker was either a learner, a d*#k head or both but don't stress over it.

Marc
    Pug 505GTi 5Spd Wagon, BMW 75/7 & MotoGuzzi LeMans MkV Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by marcmarc62
    Car drivers who try to drag bikes at traffic lights are plain stupid. If your normal traffic light take off is at F1 speeds because your grandmother drives rallies this is also stupid at $1.30+ a litre fuel prices. If the bikes in front, just back off a bit, they should be out of your way soon enough. Your endagering everyones lives for what? Your own ego maybe ?
    Well, you've certainly got SOME of the words from my posts correct. If not the context. And you've conveniently left out a lot of what I've said. I wasn't trying to drag the motorbike. Compared to how I usually take off it was relatively slow, being a turning lane & all. I also said that, in general, I don't mind motorbike riders. They're usually pretty good because they have to deal with motorists who don't see them. All I did, mate, was to block him from sneaking up through the line of traffic at the next set of lights. I didn't cut him off, etc... There was never any danger. I just sat close to the line so he couldn't get round. Oh, and we were all pretty much stopped at the time. And, I just put the bit about my grandmother in there to lighten the story up a little.

By the way, how I use the petrol I purchase is really none of your business. I can afford it. I'm sure you spend money on things that I feel wasteful, ie children if you have them. So lets stop with the grandfatherly lectures, hey.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    By the way, how I use the petrol I purchase is really none of your business. I can afford it. I'm sure you spend money on things that I feel wasteful, ie children if you have them. So lets stop with the grandfatherly lectures, hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information