Vicroads, Unregistered trailer
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Vicroads, Unregistered trailer

Default Vicroads, Unregistered trailer

Hi guys,

Been doing some research on a few things at vicroads (yet to call them) and I am still unclear on a few points.. Maybe some aussiefrogs would know.

Advertisement

If 'one' was to buy an unregistered trailer from a private seller, what is the process of 'getting it home' regarding registration?

The other question is regarding the classification of a trailer with 3 axles.
    Does anyone know if it makes a difference relating to registration? If it does, could you not (design permitting) remove an axle and carry less weight?

If a trailer is made before a certain date it is not required to have certain information stamped on the chassis. One of which is 'Load Weight'. To help classify a trailer this is added to the weight of the empty trailer. So if a trailer is made before this date, do you estimate your own 'Load Weight' and be aware that the trailer is registered to that weight, when you go to register it?

Thanks guys,

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The staff memebers at Vicroads are useless morons... The sh!t I went through to try and register a trailer with those d!ckheads

As your trailer has been previously registered you should be fine if it has the previous rego number on it.

getting it home, you'll get a different answer from every d!ckhead you speak to at Vicroads. My suggestion is to ring up, get the persons name and details you spoke to and see if you can tow it home. If your pulled over and booked from towing an unregistered trailer, you can then take it to court, site the persons name you talked to at VicRoads and the date/time you enquired ....

Everytime I've dealt with them I've been glad I didn't have a machine gun, 'cos no doubt you'll be ready to head up there after your fourth visit to register the bloody trailer to be told something different yet again for the 4th time, and given another reason why you can't register it.

Am I negative towards Vicroads Lets just say the people they have up there are to stupid to even be polititions ...Infact so stupid I'm sure Centerlink got sick of them being to stupid to fill in the required forms to get the dole, so they got them all jobs at Vicroads.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    Hi guys,

Been doing some research on a few things at vicroads (yet to call them) and I am still unclear on a few points.. Maybe some aussiefrogs would know.

If 'one' was to buy an unregistered trailer from a private seller, what is the process of 'getting it home' regarding registration?

Does anyone know if it makes a difference relating to registration? If it does, could you not (design permitting) remove an axle and carry less weight?

If a trailer is made before a certain date it is not required to have certain information stamped on the chassis. One of which is 'Load Weight'. To help classify a trailer this is added to the weight of the empty trailer. So if a trailer is made before this date, do you estimate your own 'Load Weight' and be aware that the trailer is registered to that weight, when you go to register it?

Thanks guys,

David.
    G'day,

Regarding the 3 axle question:

Quote Originally Posted by vicroads
    A caravan or light trailer is any caravan or trailer that weighs less than 4.5 tonne gross vehicle mass (GVM). GVM is the weight of the trailer plus the load capacity.
    No reference is made to axle configuration only GVM.

Regarding the second question:

Quote Originally Posted by vicroads
    Requirements to register a light trailer

Trailers manufactured before 1989 must have an identification number stamped into the drawbar. Any identification number format is acceptable.

Trailers manufactured after 1989 must have a compliance plate displaying the following:

* manufacturer's name
    * date of manufacture
    * aggregate trailer mass (in kg)
    * vehicle identification number
    * tyre and rim data (ie. rim size, tyre size, load rating and recommended tyre pressure)
    * trailer model (if applicable)
    * the statement "This trailer was manufactured to comply with the applicable Australian Design Standards".

A roadworthy certificate is not required, but light trailers must be in a roadworthy condition.

All trailers that weigh over 750kg GVM must be inspected.
    An appointment is required at all offices for an inspection.

When making an appointment you will be asked for:

* the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the trailer, or
    * previous registration number of the trailer if it was manufactured before 1989, and
    * the Victorian driver licence number or name of the intended registered operator.

All caravans and light trailers other than exempt caravans and trailers must be registered to be used on the road.
    I'd imgaine that the inspecting 'useless moron' will assess the trailer and rate its load capability (against a photo board or construction standard sheet etc)

If you buy an unregistered trailer and tow it home, you run the risk of copping a fine.

I'd make an appointment with VicRoads and tow the trailer straight there for registration...

Maybe an unregistered vehicle permit? I suspect it may be one of those areas where there isn’t really any law. Another more silly suggestion and probably impractical – trailer it home?

Re the load weight etc, I suppose you could “make it up” ie educated assessment, and so long as it seems reasonable the Vicroads bod should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    Hi guys,

Thanks guys,

David.
    I know what's going on here .... You want to buy that tri-axle caravan chassis on ebay too !!!! IT's MINE !!!!!!

Make a bloody rippa of a car trailer wouldn't it. I had exactly the same thoughs as you, chop one of it's axles off, chop about a considerable length off it (who needs a 30' long car trailer) and use that metal to make the ramps with

I think it's already bidded outside beyond what I'd pay. You couldn't put it on anothere trailer to get home due to it's sheer size (30feet), your only option is to take a light board with you and tow it home (I did this with my last trailer).

I was under the impression you could tow an unregistered trailer directly home, directly to any place to have registration work performed on it, and directly to VicRoads (that was what I was told from the VicRoads on the phone). However if MistaRenault says you'll be booked....................... They are the ones that do the booking so I'd go with his advice. I wouldn't trust any VicRoads worker to know there arse from there elbow A phone call stating you can drive it home isn't exactly a written signed document saying "yes this is legal".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Just drive it home without rego its such a trvial petty issue i dont see what the big fuss is about
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

1000+ Posts

Default Permissable unregistered use.

It was always permissable to use an unregistered vehicle on Victorian road, BUT only for the purpose of getting it registered. I have the vague recollection there was case law on this issue. Mistarenno may be able to enlighten.

The onus was on the driver/tower to prove they were heading by the most direct route to a weighbridge/ Roadworthy/Vicroads registration centre - later there was slight change and you had to have a valid certificate of insurance - you would ring up and arrange it per phone.

May well have changed slightly since and will pay to have things checked properly.

In a country area a visit to your local Police Traffic Management Unit may yeild some helpful advice on how to get it home for the purpose of re-registration/reworking.

Otherwise you are left to the removal solution like the US pug guy, but the risk is yours. Hard to crack dumb and say on a trailer of that size and length, "gee I didn't realise it had to be registered sir"

I suppose if you had all the lights, reflectors, mudflaps, tyres etc in correct order/condition you would minimise your fine.
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 24th August 2005 at 01:56 PM. Reason: minor

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Just drive it home without rego its such a trvial petty issue i dont see what the big fuss is about
    I don't consider what $500++++ fine for an unregistered vehicle 'trivial'. Sure I consider the actual towing of it (if it's safe and has working lights) trivial.... But NOT the fine if you get caught.

Lets be honest here, it would be blantantly obvious you were towing it straight home (after all what use is a bare chassis to anyone ... It's not like your using it for any purpose "other than getting it home"). I'm sure if you were pulled over and explained your case any reasonable police officer would let you continue on your travels without a fine.

After all how do we get any unregistered trailers/caravan home ???? If it need work prior to registration (eg: brakes fixed) it's not like you can tow it "straight to VicRoads" from the place of purchase...

My trailer is an old heavy duty caravan chassis with a braked drop axle. It came with all the marine gal and metal to finish it so it would be a complete trailer. I just took a light board down to the other side of Melbourne with me and towed it back to Ballarat. I was under the impression this was legal. Obviously I was wrong. So just how would I have gotten it home then Hire a car trailer and sit it on top of that

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I don't consider what $500++++ fine for an unregistered vehicle 'trivial'....
    Last time I looked it was only $110 or similar for an unregistered trailer...and I cant say I have (or know anyone that has for that matter) booked anyone for that offence.

But beware, it IS an offence.

VicRoads should be able to issue a temporary vehicle permit (no mention of motor vehicle...) for the purposes of repair and registration. It is always worth the money to be safe...

If your luck is anything like murphys then you'll have a crash on the way home and get shafted by everyone from the Police to your insurer...

Regards,

Richard V

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I know what's going on here .... You want to buy that tri-axle caravan chassis on ebay too !!!! IT's MINE !!!!!!

Make a bloody rippa of a car trailer wouldn't it. I had exactly the same thoughs as you, chop one of it's axles off, chop about a considerable length off it (who needs a 30' long car trailer) and use that metal to make the ramps with

I think it's already bidded outside beyond what I'd pay. You couldn't put it on anothere trailer to get home due to it's sheer size (30feet), your only option is to take a light board with you and tow it home (I did this with my last trailer).
    Hi Shane,

As it could well end up on your property (??) with a couple of cars on it (!!), we should talk! ebay, I got no idea what your talking about Shane!

Maybe we can come to an arrangement if you are interested in it. My thought is just to get my cars transported and maybe use it once in a while after that, but it is rediculously long (9.2 metres)

Ill PM you.

Thanks for comments guys, think I will 'try' and get an unregistered vehicle permit, (if it pans out) but I thought it required such info as previous plate, vin/chassis number etc? I forget, ill have to take a look at one of the ones I got for the 16 last time.

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

I don't consider what $500++++ fine for an unregistered vehicle 'trivial'. Sure I consider the actual towing of it (if it's safe and has working lights) trivial.... But NOT the fine if you get caught.

Lets be honest here, it would be blantantly obvious you were towing it straight home (after all what use is a bare chassis to anyone ... It's not like your using it for any purpose "other than getting it home"). I'm sure if you were pulled over and explained your case any reasonable police officer would let you continue on your travels without a fine.
    Yeh but its a bit of a fun....bit of bending the rules bit of breaking a petty misdomeanor law.

Have some excitement be a criminal

Australia pisses me off to no end lately...its so policed and petty in its system. You need a license for this..you need permission for that....you need to pay $XXXX to do this you cant do this but you can only do this on certain days ect. I hate how petty and stupid some of our laws are...whats wong with common sense and people taking responsibilty for their own actions? Instead the gov makes a buffer for the stupid people and obviously the rest of us suffer with stupid fines.

I miss Europe so much...they are so laid back in their attitude and rules compared to here.

Sorry to rant and hijack but the way we are going in 20 years time we wont be able to wipe our ass without some sort of license....and have to pay some more $$$ to the gov for that license.

But yes see if there is an unregistered vehicle permit...they cost $70 for cars for about 28days however you can only use them from 9-5pm i think?? And your only meant to use them to drive the vehicle to and from the workshop and what not.
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Icon7

WRCPUG,

Indeed, going by the look on his face the VTEC has kicked in! I agree totally with your sentiments, we have all got too serious over the last twenty years and have lost our innocence/sense of humour. That cannot be replaced under the present heightened state of alert. More will be taken. Am I starting to sound like ed ge? Me thinks perchance!

Boodek and I had a situation a week ago where we towed an unregistered 505 GTi home using a rope behind his work car. Apparently you need a rigid form of towing using a metal contraption between the cars to stop the towed one running up the arse of the towing one. We got halfway home and there were Policemen pulling people up a hundred metres from home. You wouldn't read of it. For the previous ten days you could have been doing doughys in the middle of the road without fear of being caught. Due to quick thinking on our part we got away with it but I wouldn't try it again.

We got it home, had a beer and reflected upon how lucky we were.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Well, the 'so called' 30ft trailer / caravan chassis went for $1001 on ebay.

Would have made an awesome car trailer, no doubt it probably will, but a tad on the large side. I wouldnt say it was a BAD price, but considering the amount of work required... and IMO too much money to part with, without seeing it.

I still may buy a tandem trailer this weekend so thanks again for your comments regarding registration of a trailer. Seems like a bit of mis-information out there, as to what the rules actually are, so I am glad its not just me.

David.