Too much Texas Tea
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Too much Texas Tea

My girlfriend has way way over filled her car with oil..

Advertisement

The car is running rough (slight shudder) - and with revs is blowing some smoke.. Couldn't see much more as it was dark when I got home and was presented with the problem.

Will this situation require me to do an oil change - or will it fix itself with time?

Any ideas for a simple fix?

Mate just check the oil first using the dipstick. Between the two marks (Empty and Full) is normally 1 litre. You can gauge from that how much its been overfilled.

If its more than say 500ml over get under the car and drain a bit out, quickly replace sump plug and measure the amount. Repeat until you get back to Full on the dipstick.
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

What car is this?

Fellow Frogger!

Its not a french car - but I thought if I kept the question general it would be OK to ask it here - might be of some interest anyways..

Its a Mazda MX6 (I had no say in this matter - Its been a pain in the butt since she bought it - needless to say she is looking for something else - maybe a purrr-jjo 306 )

I will empty a little of the oil out - but was hoping to avoid this if possible as we don't have a garage and I don't like getting under cars on ramps in the street - freaks me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron
    I will empty a little of the oil out - but was hoping to avoid this if possible as we don't have a garage and I don't like getting under cars on ramps in the street - freaks me out.
    FInd a nice empty parking lot and use some cones to secure a border, whilst your GF checks around for cars, security.. etc, get under there and be a man, your GF will love you for it ha!... but an empty parking lot much safer than the street.
    And to answer your question, yes the problem will go away but damage more things in the process, such fowling spark plugs, EGO or A/F sensors, the catalist, sut in your exhaust, the pump etc so it important to get some of it out. - Chris
    ... ptui!

I've heard something about the crankcase seal could possibly get damaged and therefore leak oil if overfilled. This doesn't make logical sense to me, but it's something I heard nonetheless; can anyone shed any light on this?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

It has had so many expensive problems that it has been a real financial mistake as well as a pain in the butt. I wouldn't mind if it had some style as I am accustommed to spending money on my flights of fancy with old cars but this one pains me to see money spent on it.

I am hoping that the car dissapears in the near future and that there isn't any more major episodes with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    I've heard something about the crankcase seal could possibly get damaged and therefore leak oil if overfilled. This doesn't make logical sense to me, but it's something I heard nonetheless; can anyone shed any light on this?
    This is only an issue if the oil level is at or above the seal level.
    This prevents any excess oil being "thrown" away from the seal.

More likely is the theory that the engine components act like a pump and filling the sump full of oil, (or at least past a certain point), can cause the sump to differentially pressurize and "blow out" the seal inner surface.

The crank splashing around in a sea of oil, does not help in the H.P. department either.

Yes I have seen the effects of over filling a sump. Lucky was the instance where normal level was restored and the smoke stopped. Unlucky was where the rear main seal failed and the motor was replaced.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Thread Information