Help me from lowlifes
  • Register
  • Help

Icon8 Help me from lowlifes

Some lowlife has broken into my 1984 505 wagon and stuffed my ignition up. I can fit my key but it wont turn in the chamber. I have hot wired the car but then the steering lock kicked in even with the key in the chamber. How do I remove my lock from the barrel? I have the Haynes manual but can't find how to remove the barrel for looking!!

Advertisement

erg erg... The ONLY way I could remove my lock from either the fuego or R16 recently was to have the key turned to unlock the steering. I assume its is the same for your car.

I spent about 4 hours fiddling in the cold wet carpark after work one night, and it eventually turned. Hurt my fingers in the process. But I was very lucky, and was simply a sticky barrel, not a mangled lock.

You may need to drill the bugger out to get the steering lock off unfortunately.
    Hopefully you can get the key turning.

Failing that you 'could' try the old fasion way of smashing a screwdriver into the lock to turn it, but you should seek advice from someone that knows your model pug.

Good luck.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

al

Perhaps do a search of the forum. I'm pretty sure this came up quite recently...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 lock

I posted this before. It may help you now

What you are going to face over time are worn brass pins wearing to the point where they rotate in their locating shafts. The springs will then push them into the chamber where you insert the key. They will then jam up the lock because the key cannot be inserted or turned. NO amount of ANY type of lubricant can stop that blockage.

Whatever you do you to fix this issue you will need to remove the lock and the electrical connections that piggy-back to it.

This task is achieved by removing the shroud that surrounds the lock. With the key in the ignition lock rotate the key until you can depress a brass/copper coloured plunger on the bottom of the lock barrel. It is clearly visible at the bottom of the shroud that surrounds the lock. Use a pin punch, jeweller's screwdriver, a nail, or other thin sturdy object. Use the key to drag the assembly out.

At the same time look for the junction box that links the switch to the rest of the car's electics. Disconnect it (pull them apart). VOILA!

You now have the problem at hand and you have four choices.

OPTION 1. Buy a new lock. It is VERY expensive. Also your new key won't operate the door lock which probably works fine!

OPTION 2. Buy a second hand lock. Surely the problem won't happen again?!

OPTION 3. Undo the two long screws that hold the physical and electrical parts of the lock together. Carefully put the electrical part to one side. Remove the plastic strip that covers the pins in their locating chambers. Remove ofending pin and spring. PROBLEM SOLVED! Until, of course, the next pin erodes to send you back to do the same job. Reassembly is just the reverse. Just look out that the cross on both parts align. Sounds hard - pretty easy.

OPTION 4. Ditto, all of option 3, but remove all pins and springs. This is of course an act of bastardry. You now don't need a key! A screwdriver or any other key will now work!

Your choice!
    Hope this helps you out.
    If there is more that you need, please let me know.
    DAVID M

Quote Originally Posted by Rowley
    Some lowlife has broken into my 1984 505 wagon and stuffed my ignition up. I can fit my key but it wont turn in the chamber. I have hot wired the car but then the steering lock kicked in even with the key in the chamber. How do I remove my lock from the barrel? I have the Haynes manual but can't find how to remove the barrel for looking!!

the easyiest way would be to drill out the lock and start again with another one.....

you can replace it with another 505 one....or a 504 one will fit just as well, only its a shorter assembly and therefore it wont be able to lock the steering wheel....

which ever way you go it looks like youll have to destroy the lock to remove it.....but if i read correctly it is allreaddy stuffed by vandles.

Icon7

I think you may need to belt in a small cold chisel and use a stilsen to turn it to break the lock on a 505. Drilling won't work as it will probably render the starting switch inoperable of you are not careful as it is located just behind the lock mechanicals. Go and buy a complete lock/column/key assy and fit it. This will be easier than trying to remove the lock barrel from the column. Remove and refit of replacement assy takes about 40 minutes.

Downside: One extra key on the key ring.

Upside: More time to sit back, admire your work and drink beer. Also hair is less grey.

From recent experience.

Matt.
    Last edited by Ralph; 20th August 2005 at 11:16 PM.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Thread Information