Reno quetion from Cit owner
  • Register
  • Help

Default Reno quetion from Cit owner

I always had a soft spot for the Feugo and today I met a guy looking for a Feugo to make either one car out of two or to get the second car to ad to his collection.
    Best buy in one I know of is al's car (which is in Victoria,) but that didn't seem to bother this guy who made the enquiry. His other car is a 700 series Bimmer, so he knows a bit of class when he sees it.
    What's the big attraction of these Feugos and what's their strengths and weaknesses?
    Academic interest mainly, but I get around a lot of car orientated people so there's questions I get asked at times that I can't answer and given the amount of them around and the ridiculous low prices, it's got me intrigued.

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Probably a large number of points to look for get covered in this thread.

Fuego purchase questions

Probably like location is to property, is the cambelt to a Fuego. If there is any doubt as to when it was last replaced, change it. Also change the A/C belt at the same time, as it runs behind the cambelt.

Icon14

Alan
    there's alot more to the fuego's allure than is covered in that thread...but there are many more threads in the renault forum & even the toad pond that cover the rest ....but to precis it...the reason that fuego's hook their owners is their balance & torque (and their price ) They can be driven VERY enthusiastically; and corner with the most delightful oversteer when deliberately induced, easy to control through throttle steering They are also as tough as nails & with only basic maintenance will do hundreds of thousands of kms reliably. When parts are required they are still easy to source & relatively cheap & most work can be done in the backyard if you have a haynes & the inclination.

I look at it this way...what other car can you get for under $1000 that has standard power windows, remote central locking, powersteering (although I prefer the manual), aircon, comfy & supportive seats, good looks, tough motor, handles like a dream, is cheap to run (fuel wise) & cheap to maintain, has enough power to keep up with the moderns, & the balance & handling to embarrass said moderns in the twisties
    & when you get one with a good gearbox...they are truly a dream to drive!
    I'm on my third one now....the first one (soon to be reborn into "rallyfuego") was clocked & did a further 400k kms before I sent it to the spelling paddock
    all without having to replace the head gasket! (it had been changed just before I bought it at 199K kms)(...although it's understandably due for it now ) Number 2 was a bit of a dud...but got me through 2 years...and Number 3 is shaping up to be as good as the first!..probably better now that I have better tyres fitted

I have driven Al's car & can confirm that it is one of the good ones! Steering & gearbox are excellent & little needs to be done to get it on the road. It deserves to go to someone who will appreciate how good it is & will cherish it enough to get it back on the road & fanging like fuegos love to do. I would be devastated if it were to be broken down for parts as it is too good for that. Alas; Dad & I are not allowed to aquire any more fuegos...
    ....at least until we dismantle the parts cars....
    & Al is selling it for much less than it's worth would love to see it go to a good home!

hope I've answered some of your question...I'm sure Richard can add some more info too

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I have a Fuego with a good gearbox ........ You wuld probably want one closer to yu though

seey
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I have a Fuego with a good gearbox ........ You wuld probably want one closer to yu though

seey
    Shane L.

407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Shane i didnt know you were a secret Renault man. Im in shock....

Oh, the shame of it all.........a closet Feugo man!!

Have I unleashed a monster?

Alan S.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alajn i think we can safely say that we are starting to see "Shanes Renault side"....

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've got nothing against Renaults .... It's my brothers old Fuego. At least Renault still put decent seats in there cars (unlike the utter [email protected] fitted to my BX, and the hard slippery leather japanesse like seats fitted to the Xantia)..... I drove my cousins Luguna on the weekend... You could have blindfolded me and sat me in it's front seat and I would have said "It's a Renault"

I'll stick with my old *proper* cars thanks

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I've got nothing against Renaults .... It's my brothers old Fuego. At least Renault still put decent seats in there cars (unlike the utter [email protected] fitted to my BX, and the hard slippery leather japanesse like seats fitted to the Xantia)..... I drove my cousins Luguna on the weekend... You could have blindfolded me and sat me in it's front seat and I would have said "It's a Renault"

I'll stick with my old *proper* cars thanks
    Ill agree with you for once Shane. You cant compare CX, DS seats to the new C3......

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego revival

Alan

Part of the popularity of this car is the ageless design that still looks good on the road. The present owners are more likely to tackle repairs themselves with the help of the owners who frequent these forums. There are plenty of cheap spares and cars, and importers like Caravelle have a good range of new sought after spare parts.

We love our cars and really enjoy using them and to the surprise of owners of more modern French and European cars they perform well especially around twisty corners - a real driver's car.

The new breed of owners, like to experiment with different modifications and sourcing engines to up the ante for competition. The base price is rediculous considering the performance, comfort, appearance, "bang for bucks" that you get. and, in the future if overseas experience is any indication the styling will lend itself to modification by the extreme makeover show and shine set.

Probably now is the time to store a few if you have the room as good examples will be keenly sought after at prices far in excess of current values.

The damn things multiply and attach themselves to you - a good example is a real pleasure to own and drive.

Ken

Owning a fuego has automatic mebership to the club.I havent met another fuego driver who won't wave exitedly if you pass them, nor have I met a fuego driver who is not willing to have a chat about the car.Just last week, a delivery driver dropping of some decking spotted the fuego's in the garage , both with bonets up,one with no motor, and to my amazement picked them as fuego's. Turns out he has one,loves it, and is going to by a spare set of wheels off me, and have a scavenge of the wreck once I'm done with it.If ever I clean my car on the road(rare) almost every bloke walking up the hill will stop at my place, comment on the awsome veiw and then start on the fuego chat.Seems everyone knows someone who used to own a fuego.Quite flattering realy.
    Jo

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default Fuego was sketched by Citroen guy

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I always had a soft spot for the Feugo Alan S
    Yes Alan, I don't know if someone else has already posted the fact that the Renault Fuego was actually the first effort at Renault by a CITROEN stylist soon after he left them. I forget his name now but please check it out, it must be somewhere on the internet.
    There you are Alan: the proof you're real Citroen through and through as you can even spot them wearing different badges. Congratulations !!

30 minutes later... Actually the Guy was Robert Opron who penned the GS, SM, CX,. When Peugeot took over Cit he left and moved to Renault where his first effort was the... FUEGO.
    There you go.
    Bet you didn't know that!
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 16th August 2005 at 09:50 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

My Father had a Fuego when they were new, he took great pleasure in seeing off the supposed hot cars of the day through the twisties. Always fun watching the shocked expression as he overtook mr V8 toorana/commodoor. And us kids waving must have really rubbed salt into the wound.

Of course I would never do anything so juvenile.

regards
    sean

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Owning a fuego has automatic mebership to the club.I havent met another fuego driver who won't wave exitedly if you pass them, nor have I met a fuego driver who is not willing to have a chat about the car.Just last week, a delivery driver dropping of some decking spotted the fuego's in the garage , both with bonets up,one with no motor, and to my amazement picked them as fuego's. Turns out he has one,loves it, and is going to by a spare set of wheels off me, and have a scavenge of the wreck once I'm done with it.If ever I clean my car on the road(rare) almost every bloke walking up the hill will stop at my place, comment on the awsome veiw and then start on the fuego chat.Seems everyone knows someone who used to own a fuego.Quite flattering realy.
    Jo
    Yeah, I Know what you mean!

Every Holden Sunbird driver we see stops for a chat and we get waves from other Toranas/Sunbirds out on the road!

Main topic of conversation is "rust" and "how much does your car leak?"

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Thread Information