UK Import BX 19
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: UK Import BX 19

Tadpole

Default UK Import BX 19

Hello All

I will soon be moving to Melboune from the UK and plan to bring with me a 1990 BX 19 TRS. As I understand, the car will need some modifications to meet ADR safety requirements, some of which I can have sorted in the UK before leaving, but one which confuses me is the requirement for child seat fixtures. As the car has a removable parcel shelf and split rear seat, I can not see an obvious way to fix restraints without cutting a hole in the parcel shelf and fixing the restraints to the boot floor. How are these fixed in Australian BXs?

Advertisement

I am also concerned about the head restraints in my BX. THese move up and down fairly easily and can be removed. Are front head restraints firmly fixed on Australian BXs?

Any information more than welcome
    Mark T.
    BX 19TRS, C3 XTR

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark T
    Hello All

I will soon be moving to Melboune from the UK and plan to bring with me a 1990 BX 19 TRS. As I understand, the car will need some modifications to meet ADR safety requirements, some of which I can have sorted in the UK before leaving, but one which confuses me is the requirement for child seat fixtures. As the car has a removable parcel shelf and split rear seat, I can not see an obvious way to fix restraints without cutting a hole in the parcel shelf and fixing the restraints to the boot floor. How are these fixed in Australian BXs?

I am also concerned about the head restraints in my BX. THese move up and down fairly easily and can be removed. Are front head restraints firmly fixed on Australian BXs?

Any information more than welcome
    Mark T.
    BX 19TRS, C3 XTR
    Leave it there (hows that for being blunt). BX's are a dime a dozen out here ... You could buy several good ones for just the cost of shipping your existing car.

It's only worth bringing out cars that *may* be worth more than the cost of getting them here.

examples:

--2cv
    --CX 2500 GTi Turbos
    --XM turbo diesels
    --XM 24valve v6's
    --Renault 5 turbo's

You know cars that were never sold out here, but still quite collectable. Cars don't really rust out here (we still have GS's and series I CX's running around without rust in them) ... Finding a rust free BX isn't an issue.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

and a couple of those brand new mi16 engines they are selling over there

Dave

I have heard a lot of talk about child seat fixtures having had to be fitted to privately imported cars. My car does not have one fitted to it, despite being dealer imported almost 20 years ago, and as far as I know other cars in the same situation also did not have child seat anchor point fitted. May be its only cars after a certain date that this applies to?

I agree with other guys - feel free bring over a few BX GTi 4x4s though, or the two carby BX sports - we didn't get them here and depending on the mileage and condition i wouldn't hesitate to own one

Andrew.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

Agree with Shane - unless you have a serious sentimental connection with your car, leave it there. Bring something worth a lot here and is cheap there, sell it here and pay for your airfares. Renault Alpine GTA would make you some cash

I'm still annoyed that I didnt bring two cars home when I went to Europe in 99'. Back then, I only had to have owned it for 3 months (we were there for 6) and my girlfriend and I could have made a mint.... Colin at Alpine told me this AFTER I got home of course....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Tadpole

Shane
    Thanks for the suggestion - but my relocation costs are covering most of the shipping costs. As a car now has to have been owned more than one year, there was not the chance to seach round for a nice 2CV/XM/CX GTi. I might be more interested in shipping a good rust-free CX back to the UK in a few years though!

Andrew
    I believe child seat fixtures were supposed to be fitted to cars made after July 1976.

so... given that my BX is proably coming, does anybody know where child seat fixtures can be mounted??

Tadpole

Shane
    Thanks for the suggestion - but my relocation costs are covering most of the shipping costs. As a car now has to have been owned more than one year, there was not the chance to search round for a nice 2CV/XM/CX GTi. I might be more interested in shipping a good rust-free CX back to the UK in a few years though!

Andrew
    I believe child seat fixtures were supposed to be fitted to cars made after July 1976.

so... given that my BX is probably coming, does anybody know where child seat fixtures should be mounted??

UFO

All Aus sold BXs (and XMs had single piece rear seat backs. The child restraint points are attached to a bar that was fitted to the back of the seat back. Therefore, you may have probs getting the car to comply with ADR without having to have a bar fitted that permanently joins the seat backs together.

Roscoe, who is on the forum, brought a diesel BX out a couple of years ago and he may be be able to better answer this.

Spend up at Andyspares before you come and bring spheres, radiator pipes and other consumable bits and pieces.

LHM is plentiful and flows in the street - when someone's Cit springs a leak!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Seeing that Mark is likely to bring this car in, perhaps he should post a pic up of the seat upholstery to see if it is of a type and pattern used on the AUS spec cars. That way a single piece AUS spec and ADR'd seat could be sourced on arrival out of a wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Seeing that Mark is likely to bring this car in, perhaps he should post a pic up of the seat upholstery to see if it is of a type and pattern used on the AUS spec cars. That way a single piece AUS spec and ADR'd seat could be sourced on arrival out of a wreck.
    Or temporarily 'borrowed' from an obliging owner of an already ADR'd BX???
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

We've got a series one BX16V that was a private import and it has the same rear seat asmy series 2.
    I can't say that I've ever seen a pic of or heard of a 16V having anything but a one piece rear seat but I remember the guy who imported it having a bit of a problem with rear seat anchor points for some reason or other.
    Can I also suggest you get the cars absolutely immaculately detailed before you bring them in.
    I just had Rupert here a few weeks back in his Louis Barbour 4 X 4 converted 2CV and our quarantine muppets "fined" him $100 a pine needle to 'remove and destroy' these scourges of the countryside.
    I was with a guy at Brisbane wharves one day when he was told he couldn't drive his car on mainland Australia because it had dust under the mudguards and was ordered to 'delouse' it at a cleaning bay before it was moved off site. The cleaning bay was a concrete slab with a drain hole in the middle and a garden hose. I asked a wharfie where the 'contaminated water and solid substances' ran and was told the Brisbane river...when I asked how this was safe, his reply was "Yeah; bullshit hey!!" So that's the mentality you'll be dealing with.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information