Replacment of Synthetic Oil with semi-Synth
  • Register
  • Help

Icon6 Replacment of Synthetic Oil with semi-Synth

Hi guys,

Advertisement

Please have a look at this thread regarding mixing oils......

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...129#post240129

Cheers!
    Stu
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

Did they think they were doing you a favour by going to a semi synth oil?

I doubt it would cause any long term damage to your motor, especially if
    you change the oil very regularly, ie more regularly than the recommended
    intervals, but if your car is supposed to get a fully synth oil at its change
    then thats what it should get eh?

Myself, I'd be asking for a change of oil back to the full synth stuff....

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Why are you double posting?

I don't see a huge problem on such a new car. Just be aware that it will need changing earlier than a full synthetic.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    'Cause no one is responding?

Personally it's probably not going to be a problem, but if it had been me, I would have opened up the owners manual to the section that says, in bold type "for GTi180, use 5W40 Synthetic oil only" and asked them to explain it to me.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    'Cause no one is responding?

Personally it's probably not going to be a problem, but if it had been me, I would have opened up the owners manual to the section that says, in bold type "for GTi180, use 5W40 Synthetic oil only" and asked them to explain it to me.
    They did this to me. Lets just say I am not returning to dealer, and will take my precious elsewhere.
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod
    They did this to me. Lets just say I am not returning to dealer, and will take my precious elsewhere.
    This double-posting thing is really going to get annoying. Let's see if we can even up the posts in both forums

BTW, my local Autobarn (well nearby anyway - at Auburn) is selling the Elf Excellium GP 5W40 Synthetic stuff now. It's $54.95 (5L bottle) which seems about right for a retail price I guess.

I'm yet to crack open the lid and see if it does in fact smell like motor oil but I'm sure it's decent stuff.
    Last edited by SLC206; 11th August 2005 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Wrong shop name!
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

BTW, my local Auto One (well nearby anyway - at Auburn) is selling the Elf Excellium GP 5W40 Synthetic stuff now. It's $54.95 (5L bottle) which seems about right for a retail price I guess.

I'm yet to crack open the lid and see if it does in fact smell like motor oil but I'm sure it's decent stuff.
    That price is good for retail and as far as smell goes, I reckon you could use it as salad dressing; please post your thoughts on the smell of it; it has to be the best smelling motor oil I've ever copped a whiff of; you'd almost reckon it was fit for human consumption. When you whip the top off you'll see what I mean, and get a bit between the thumb and forfinger and feel how "slippy" it is.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    To be seen and heard. Am not sure that all forum members will be going into the "Peugeot " Forum...........

Apologies to all.............I will get back in my box!!!

Cheers for all the replies also. SLC206 - Can you please tell me where in the manual is states only "5W40 Synthetic Oil ONLY" to be used, I guess I will be getting a free oil change next week........they need it again next week due to them needing to replace all the "accessories belt/tensioners/pulleys". Making a strange noise! But all under warranty - I no complain!!!

Thanks
    Stu

Current Fleet;

In the Family;

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    That price is good for retail and as far as smell goes, I reckon you could use it as salad dressing; please post your thoughts on the smell of it; it has to be the best smelling motor oil I've ever copped a whiff of; you'd almost reckon it was fit for human consumption. When you whip the top off you'll see what I mean, and get a bit between the thumb and forfinger and feel how "slippy" it is.

Alan S
    Reckon its worth the dosh? Always had old cars, and even though I finally have something halfway modern, I still baulk a bit at forking out that much for oil....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man
    Cheers for all the replies also. SLC206 - Can you please tell me where in the manual is states only "5W40 Synthetic Oil ONLY" to be used, I guess I will be getting a free oil change next week........they need it again next week due to them needing to replace all the "accessories belt/tensioners/pulleys". Making a strange noise! But all under warranty - I no complain!!!

Thanks
    Stu
    Apologies for the scare - after scouring my manual, it just depends which page you look at

It's on the oil selection pages (p23 and p27 in my book). One says "synthetic-based 5W40" and the other page says "5W40 synthetic oil only" so I guess it depends on one's interpretation. I can guess which one the dealer will use

My only advice would be, if you are fussy about your oil (and let's face it, most Sydney dealers are not) then you have to be specific, or bring your own. AutoSports at Arncliffe use Total Quartz 9000, but they charge a pretty penny for it.

What's the story with all the accessory belts/tensioners/pulleys? Did you mention the noise or did they pick it up during its recent service?
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Reckon its worth the dosh? Always had old cars, and even though I finally have something halfway modern, I still baulk a bit at forking out that much for oil....
    I'm the first to admit I'm a bloody psycho when it comes to fluids in a car, so I tend to go overboard with what I use.
    Personally, I would rather spend $50 for 5 litres of top shelf stuff and get as I normally do, about 6 - 8K klms before changing whereupon I also change the filter too, than say $35 on second rate stuff and hang in for the same mileage.
    My logic is that I've seen too many engines fail due to overdue oil changes and filters, wrong grade of oil, snake oil additives and seen the cost and hours that go into bringing them back to life. I had my old Spectron blow a head gasket a while back and I refused to work on the $%&**^% thing, so a mate of my sons volunteered to do the job so we suggested he goes right through the engine while it was apart.
    His response was it was the cleanest motor he had ever worked on internally and a complete overhaul was minus rebore, valve guides and shaft grinds, so all in all, it was a cheap job and done thoroughly so in a case like that, this is where you get your outlays back in multiples. My old Mazda E2200 work van had done between 500 & 600K klms when I sold it without even getting the tappet cover off let alone the head, but I always used dedicated diesel oil. (Rimula X) My LHM is always bright green; first sign of a brown tinge and out she goes and gearbox oils I change about every two years, so for my money, the top shelf oil such as the Elf 5W40 is a bargain buy when compared with say Mobil one that these days is almost 20% dearer. I rraely change my fluids on miles and time, but more on looks and smell.
    I had one occasion a few months back where I had done a change of oil and filter and put the old oil back into the oil drum the new stuff came in. One of my sons decided to give his car an oil change, found it, checked it out and based on the appearance and smell, filled his car up using my discarded oil, which says something about the condition the insides of my engines are; as I say, I tend to go a bit (lot) overboard about this at times.
    Took a while for me to live that one down.

Alan S

Alan, I'm sure it's a case of obsessive compulsive disorder, thankfully it seems to stike only every ?8-10 weeks. Sure beats washing your hands 35 times a day. Beer drinking is ocd.

cheers ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I had one occasion a few months back where I had done a
    change of oil and filter and put the old oil back into the oil drum the new stuff
    came in. One of my sons decided to give his car an oil change, found it,
    checked it out and based on the appearance and smell, filled his car up using
    my discarded oil, which says something about the condition the insides of my
    engines are; as I say, I tend to go a bit (lot) overboard about this at
    times.
    Took a while for me to live that one down.

Alan S
    Alan, that reminded me of a chap who used to be in the FIAT car club in
    the 1980's who used to change his oil and oil filter every 4-5000 Km.
    His son would then grab the oil and filter and use it AGAIN until
    his dads next oil change. Needless to say the sons car was a bit of a dog
    anyway and he was a student with little cash but that car soldiered on...

Cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I just change mine every 5000miles .... I still for the life of me can't see the point in using fully synthetic in any of the cars I own. $25bux for Shell 15-50 semi-synthetic goes into all my cars .... I'm yet to have a problem.

I change the Xantia at 10,000kms and CX and 5000miles. I've NEVER had a mechanical problem with an engine ever... I've only ever used Castrol GTX2 or Shell semi-synthetic 15/50 in every car I've owned. None have burnt oil, or needed topping up between changes.... (unless they leaked .... ie: GS).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I just change mine every 5000miles .... I still for the life of me can't see the point in using fully synthetic in any of the cars I own. $25bux for Shell 15-50 semi-synthetic goes into all my cars .... I'm yet to have a problem.

I change the Xantia at 10,000kms and CX and 5000miles. I've NEVER had a mechanical problem with an engine ever... I've only ever used Castrol GTX2 or Shell semi-synthetic 15/50 in every car I've owned. None have burnt oil, or needed topping up between changes.... (unless they leaked .... ie: GS).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yeah, for cars of the CX and R25 era, I would agree. But with this new fangled 16 valve thingy Ihave now, am thinking I might want to be a bit more precious with it. Plus, I intend for this thing to last a LOOOONG time.

Is your Xantia and 8 or 16 valve motor? If its the 16 valve, I thought it would need 10W40? (even though the Shell website says the 15W50 semi synth I always used in the R25 is recomended for the 406...)

It's an 8.
    As you say, it's a thing about "horses for courses" and every 16V engine I've evr seen run on too thick or too low grade of an oil has had that smell about it and that sound too.

Alan S

You should see what cheap semi-synth looks like after 5000km in a GS, let alone 10 000. "Nasty" is the word that springs to mind. Those engines even destroy full-synth pretty quickly. Of course if you're continually adding new oil to keep up with a leak, 'tis less of a problem

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Yeah, for cars of the CX and R25 era, I would agree. But with this new fangled 16 valve thingy Ihave now, am thinking I might want to be a bit more precious with it. Plus, I intend for this thing to last a LOOOONG time.

Is your Xantia and 8 or 16 valve motor? If its the 16 valve, I thought it would need 10W40? (even though the Shell website says the 15W50 semi synth I always used in the R25 is recomended for the 406...)
    Mines an 8valve slugomatic..... I personally think the oil range is far more important than wether it's 'mineral' or 'synthetic'. I never intend to leave an oil in a motor for long enough to make sythetics worthwhile.

eg: I'd rather change the CX twice as often (ie: at 5000miles) than pay $65 for Mobil 1 and change at 10,000miles --No doubt even if the oil still lubricated at this time, it would be loaded with acids (a by product of combustion) and moisture --especially as a lot of my driving is from cold starts.

If I had a BX16valve that was driven HARD ie: sprints on the weekends, I might consider sythetics .... But as soon as I see that price tag I really struggle to see the 100% (++++) price increase as worthwhile.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I dont drive the 406 hard (well, not too much), but it is a commuter - doing the 15 km run in traffic to work and back every day. So lots of cold running, and high rev work cold down the freeway on ramp. Not the best conditions for longevity.... Hence a $20 premium for good oil doesnt seem too bad now.

Icon6

What's the story with all the accessory belts/tensioners/pulleys? Did you mention the noise or did they pick it up during its recent service?
    SLC - The noise is a strange one which I picked up at around 5000kms. On idle only (hot or cold), it sounds like the accessories belt is slipping but once any load is applied or apply the accelerator, it stops. The exact opposite of the old "V" shaped belts. Admittedly, it returns after a good hard run and slowly goes away after a couple of hundred kms. Most recently, I did stage 1+2 of the Ian Luff Driver Training Course so the noise is back!!

Might be grease from one of the tensioner bearings? Who knows but they are replacing it all next week. Will hang around for an hour or two while they look after it.

Have a great weekend!
    Stu

Current Fleet;

In the Family;

Past "Frogs"

Thread Information