205 in SA rally
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 205 in SA rally

Tadpole

Default 205 in SA rally

Hi All, I just got back from watching the SA rally go past my house (the one and only benefit of living in Lobethal) and near the end there was a peugeot 205 . Does anyone know who this is?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

It is a bloke from Bridgewater, it was the cars debut, apparently looks the part, I have not seen it yet. Stuart at Charles Street Auto has been working on it....
    05' Megane 225 Cup

I saw it too today - but didnt see it Saturday arvo. I was working on the Kenton Valley Stage this year - I got a supprise to look up and see the 205 go past.

Great Rally this year though! The winner of stage 1 was only by 0.4 sec. As I was the timer on the flying finish of the final stage of day 1 I guess I have to take some of the credit by not mucking things up there
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Yeah I was there on the Saturday. 205gti looked great, nice colour scheme. Entrants were Flying Finish (Motorsport..I think). Sounded nice too. However, I think it's relatively stock, at least compared to the other cars that entered. The 205 was definitely the slowest car there by a long shot. There weren't many other fwd cars around though, and the few that were, had powerful turbo motors. They had a mitsu mirage there run by EBC brakes which was quite quick, but it may have also been a jap all-wheel drive special.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    Yeah I was there on the Saturday. 205gti looked great, nice colour scheme. Entrants were Flying Finish (Motorsport..I think). Sounded nice too. However, I think it's relatively stock, at least compared to the other cars that entered. The 205 was definitely the slowest car there by a long shot. There weren't many other fwd cars around though, and the few that were, had powerful turbo motors. They had a mitsu mirage there run by EBC brakes which was quite quick, but it may have also been a jap all-wheel drive special.
    The Mirage is a Cyborg with the Mivec 1600 putting out about 130kw at the flywheel standard, really moves!

PS any pix of the 205?
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    The Mirage is a Cyborg with the Mivec 1600 putting out about 130kw at the flywheel standard, really moves!

PS any pix of the 205?
    Sadly I didnt get any pix of it It's a bit hard to spectate when your running the flying finish

That Mirage also sounded the business. You could hear it coming from miles off!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

PS any pix of the 205?
    Nice! Do you know if it was awd or fwd though? It sure was quick. I was a bit disappointed the 205 wasn't quicker than it was. One of the stages it almost got lapped by the celica behind it. I guess they're just entering, hopefully they'll have sorted the car out and got some decent horses under it by next year.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

VIP Sponsor

Nice! Do you know if it was awd or fwd though? It sure was quick. I was a bit disappointed the 205 wasn't quicker than it was. One of the stages it almost got lapped by the celica behind it. I guess they're just entering, hopefully they'll have sorted the car out and got some decent horses under it by next year.
    It should have, I have sold my ex Darren (MYT205) engine to David, the driver.
    That is as long as he is still keen enough after the rally to send me the rest of the money!
    It will suit him more as he is obviously attempting to go all out whereas I needed an engine which would be very usuable day to day on the road. The standard (leaded 130 hp) engine should be just fine.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 8th August 2005 at 09:27 PM.

Definitely FWD.
    205gti

VIP Sponsor

Definitely FWD.
    Yes, and just about the only runner in the F16 class. This is for naturally aspirated under 1600cc cars.
    Seems that everyone wants outright cars in Australia, which is a pity as the non turbo cars sound heaps better.
    The Mirage is privately entered by Leigh and Ken Garrioch, EBC is just a sponsor.
    Graham

Default Rally 205 Gti

Hi Guys

The 205 Gti rally car in Rally SA was my car.

The engine is Aussie delivered bog stock 1.9 with 230,000 Kms on the clock.

It was the first time I had ever driven the car on dirt, and on the 3rd stage on Saturday "Ridgetops" I ran over a tree stump, tore off the front bumper, sumpguard, tore a hole in floor behind the drivers seat, and punctured the fuel tank, (that's why the front looks funny in all the photos).

The rest of Saturday was a tentative drive with no sump guard, and leaking fuel which I had to constantly plug with chewing gum, and soap.

My servce crew swapped the fuel tank with my 205 Gti road car I brought along for instant spares, on Sunday night in about 45 minutes.

The day on Sunday went Ok, but I had to be careful without a sumpguard as the bent one was dead and I didn't have a spare one of those to swap over.

We ended up dead last on Saturday and Sunday, but we did finish the event, when 1 in 7 cars didn't.

The road car went home on the trailer and Stewart who built the car drove it home after the event.

The crash shop told me that I bent the front LHS chassis rail back 35mm.

For the 205 to finish with that type of damage was a surprise, I guess Pug's are built tough.

Rally car has been fully repaired, and the MYT205 engine is on it's way to Adelaide.

Hopefully once fitted, combined with a Motec ECU the 205 should be more competitive.

Thanks to all the Peugeot people at controls and along the way who waved said G'day.

Next planned event for the 205 is The Rally of Claire, Sunday October 9th

good work mate, keep us posted & informed on your progress.

GOT PICS
    ???

Default 205 Rally Photos

1st time trying to post images, so hopefully they will work.

Some photos of the car in action.

Thanks to Kristian McMahon who took the photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 in SA rally-img_4556.jpg   205 in SA rally-img_4263.jpg   205 in SA rally-img_4557.jpg  

Great work on the event!

I was working at the Flying finish on the Kenton Valley Stage and imagine my suprise on Sunday Morning when I saw this little 205 go past. Really made my morning!

Here's My pug acting as a roadblock at the Flying Finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 in SA rally-p8070006.jpg  

Great photo, nothing like a painfully early start for a rally.

The sky looks great reflected off the car.

I'd already been there for almost an hour at that point. Was well and truly dark when we setup. Damn cold too!

Nice looking beast there RallyPug.

Any chance of getting a larger version of the photos? Would make for a nice wallpaper

-- DJ

Quote Originally Posted by RallyPug

Those pics are awesome. Good job! Best of luck in the other rounds. So good seeing pugs in rally action, brings a tear to my eye...
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by RallyPug

Well done!, What mods,eg suspension etc? Lots of nice attitude in the pix...
    205gti

List of mods so far:

1988 205 (series 1.5) GTi Rallycar
    Walker Chassis full weld in rollcage
    Custom DMS rally spec 50mm suspension
    Tran-X LSD (BE1 g/box)
    Exhaust Tech ceramic coated exhaust & headers
    OMP front strut brace
    Grp N Engine Mounts
    Grp N rubber strut top mounts
    Top Gun plug leads
    Valeo clutch
    Velo GPT Seats
    Sabelt 5 point Harnesses
    OMP helmet hammock
    EBC brake pads
    Slotted discs
    Braided brake lines
    Sparco pod filter
    Sparco deep dish suede steering wheel
    Custom heavy duty windshield washer system
    Aluminium sump & fuel tank guards
    Silverstone 14' rally tyres
    Hella halogen headlight globes
    Custom mounting points for Cibie spotlights
    Terratrip trip computer
    Terraphone intercom
    x2 4Kg fire extinguishers
    Custom front & rear tow hooks
    Carbon Fibre aplenty (Rear quarters, door inserts, dash panels, co-drivers footrest)

everything else that was worn out or dodgy has been replaced with genuine Peugeot parts

Planned for next year
    MYT205 engine with Motec M48 engine management and launch control, Hydraulic handbrake, Roof vent & Short shifter.

Interesting fact, I had to add 45 Kg's of extra weight to the car to meet the minimum weight limit in PRC class P3 (960 Kg's)

Thanks to:
    Stuart at Charles St Auto for the accelerated build, advice, commitment to the project & service crew
    Mark at Exhaust Tech for the exhaust
    Andrew at Velo for the seats
    Jeff at Tech Sport for the DMS
    Garry at Racestorations/Walker Chassis for Rollcage, fitting of DMS & the custom Terratrip mount
    Howie at Lizard Racing for the loan of a co-driver (Claire) and last minute fixes
    Chris at Revolution Racegear for most other rally related things
    Reg for helping me choose the 205 instead of a Mirage
    Stuart, Simon, Sean & Paul for a brilliant service crew
    Apologies to everyone else I have forgotten

We are still chasing a better suspension setup so will do more testing and will hopefully be more competitive for the next event Rally of Claire Sunday October 9th

I will find out from the photographer Kristian about some larger images.

Fellow Frogger!

Stuart was telling me about the custom window washer he set up on the car and i don't think it will possible for you to run out of water in a hurry Did you end up baffling the sump or not.

Also are you the driver of a red 205 with two white stripes in the hills area!
    05' Megane 225 Cup

VIP Sponsor

We are still chasing a better suspension setup so will do more testing and will hopefully be more competitive for the next event Rally of Claire Sunday October 9th

It does look a little high in the photos, The MYT 205 engine has a baffled sump.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS

It does look a little high in the photos, The MYT 205 engine has a baffled sump.
    Graham
    Do you know the height from wheel centre to the plastic mouldings?
    Chris

edit- mines on the min GpN height which is (I think) 343mm front, 323 rear(?)
    Last edited by casnell; 1st September 2005 at 05:54 PM.
    205gti

Fellow Frogger!

hi guys its stuart here,the rear ride height was too low,its was on the bump stops most of the weekend and didnt really use the rear shockers to full advantage.ive just raised it approx 40mm.going to check front set up also.lower wishbones being rebushed in nolathane.i built it for reliability for the first one and get quicker from there.later large rims so larger brakes can go in.as david said we went slow after the front plate went away as there was large rocks on stage.thats why it looked slow.more later cheers.i didnt worry about baffling the sump for this rally as there was not any long corners enough to cause oil surge .height ill let you know later.
    Last edited by charles; 1st September 2005 at 05:35 PM.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by charles
    hi guys its stuart here,the rear ride height was too low,its was on the bump stops most of the weekend and didnt really use the rear shockers to full advantage.ive just raised it approx 40mm.going to check front set up also.lower wishbones being rebushed in nolathane.i built it for reliability for the first one and get quicker from there.later large rims so larger brakes can go in.as david said we went slow after the front plate went away as there was large rocks on stage.thats why it looked slow.more later cheers.i didnt worry about baffling the sump for this rally as there was not any long corners enough to cause oil surge .height ill let you know later.
    Are the rear torsion bars standard?
    Are the rear shocks Drummond?
    I competed in a Drummond suspended Lancer EVO1 at Broken Hill and the way it handled the rough stuff was awesome.
    I trust the engine arrived OK.
    Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information