Club Rego plates and rules.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Dont get me started on bloody estate agents....

Advertisement

Seriously though, if its all neat and tidy and especially if you have neat covers over each machine, lawn mowed, garden weeded etc etc, they really have no complaint. I'm assuming there are no noise complaints. Just tell them they are collectors items. But unfortunatly, some people are prissy and one mans treasure etc...

Reckon they are gunning for a reason to toss you unfortunatly, but why bother two months out in a bit beyond me . All they have to do is tell you the lease is not going to be renewed for whatever reason - happened to me a while back when they wanted to demolish and redevelop.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

There is a 240Z down our street that is on club plates and is ALWAYS parked in the street. It is now covered in bird poo. I have no idea if it is legal or not, although I'd say its fairly likely that someone would have complained about it.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    There is a 240Z down our street that is on club plates and is ALWAYS parked in the street. It is now covered in bird poo. I have no idea if it is legal or not, although I'd say its fairly likely that someone would have complained about it.
    '

Club rego is so extremely restrictive it's almost pointless. Think along this terms... Unless it is on an advertised club run ... IT IS UNREGISTERED... full stop, no arguments. If you leave it parked on the street when your not on a club run, it is uregistered.

There is a clause where you can use the car 'for testing/maitenance'. No doubt if your pulled over while testing/mantaining your car you WILL be fined for driving an unregisted car and need to take it to court. It's a very grey area, and I'm not sure how you would prove your 'testing' the car (unless you for example have a pre-existing booking that could be verifyed in writing for new tyres etc...). If you were dropping it off to get new tires on the way to work .... You'll be booked, you can't 'drive' it ANYWHERE except directly to the place of business and directly home (even then it's a very grey area if your pulled over).

We really need a less restrictive club rego scheme (eg: logbook, 5000kms a year ...). It will never happen though as it would be to easy for people to abuse. It's so severly restrictive to someone like me that lives out of the 'Big Smoke' where the club runs are it's pointless.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Shane

I think you're being a little harsh on the Club rego scheme or "Historic Conditional Registration Scheme" but, may be, that is a Victorian perspective. Victoria has, I think, a slightly different scheme to most other States who were signatories to an agreement in regard to the scheme.

Whilst I agree that it is restrictive, it is really up to the Club to list plenty of events including all the events of a State nature and even national nature. Then there are all the invitation runs from other clubs. And then if you're not satisfied, get on the Social Committee and organise runs midweek or any time as long as they are listed in the magazine.

Then another way to get more runs is to join several clubs. Then you can take your car on all those, too.

It is a great scheme for those who want the enjoyment of a special car but don't want to pay full rego for it because they don't drive it every day.

Only a couple of months ago I started an event in Ballarat run by The Federation of Motor Clubs in Vic that lasted 8 days and I travelled to and from Sydney in my Renault 15TS. There are some keen fellas down there. Since then, I've been to Brisbane and back for the Renault Sport and Alpine Expo.

So my advice is get out there and take advantage of a great scheme! If 'they' don't make it happen, you make it happen

Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair Browne
    Shane

I think you're being a little harsh on the Club rego scheme or "Historic Conditional Registration Scheme" but, may be, that is a Victorian perspective. Victoria has, I think, a slightly different scheme to most other States who were signatories to an agreement in regard to the scheme.

Whilst I agree that it is restrictive, it is really up to the Club to list plenty of events including all the events of a State nature and even national nature. Then there are all the invitation runs from other clubs. And then if you're not satisfied, get on the Social Committee and organise runs midweek or any time as long as they are listed in the magazine.

Then another way to get more runs is to join several clubs. Then you can take your car on all those, too.

It is a great scheme for those who want the enjoyment of a special car but don't want to pay full rego for it because they don't drive it every day.

Only a couple of months ago I started an event in Ballarat run by The Federation of Motor Clubs in Vic that lasted 8 days and I travelled to and from Sydney in my Renault 15TS. There are some keen fellas down there. Since then, I've been to Brisbane and back for the Renault Sport and Alpine Expo.

So my advice is get out there and take advantage of a great scheme! If 'they' don't make it happen, you make it happen

Alastair
    Hi Alastair,

yeah I agree club runs are great ... Only with a young family I simply don't have the time to get to many (if any) of them.

To be able to drive the car occasionly, be it down the street, or a drive to the grandparents.... Even to drive it to work & back occasionly (ie: as a 3rd car ... Eg. Recenlty when I changed the clutch in my CX I had nothing to drive ... 3registered cars and I'm riding my bike. ) don't get me wrong, I love riding my bike, however I can't just take my wifes car each day, the main car is in bits .... To have been able to do a piddly little 100kms over a couple of weeks in the club car (ie: limited that you don't want banged up) would have been nice .... and, and I would have got the enjoyment out of driving it for a change.

If you were even allowed 2000kms a year in a log book, that would be far more usable than "if I want to drive all the way to the other side of Melbourne in a car that hasn't been used for possibly 12months". I can't exactly drive it around locally to ensure it still in good running condition.

As it is, the bloody thing just costs $$$, and the last time it was driven was 2years ago upto Maleny.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default Cars in the backyard..

Double Chevron,
    Despite clear explanation you unfortunately don't seem to grasp the idea of Club or Historic licenced vehicles.
    To do "the piddly 100k's" as in everyday use is not on. Yes the regs are very stiff but for a greatly reduced yearly fee,[$30 in WA] you can't have it all ways.
    Car Club members in WA who have flouted the rules are quickly reported to their Concessional Licencing official in their respective clubs who then are required to pass on the details to the traffic department.
    One member was found to have run up an excessive mileage between annual inspections and it was found that he'd attended very few Club events that year. A member of the family was seen daily on their way to college in the conc. reg car

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Double Chevron,
    Despite clear explanation you unfortunately don't seem to grasp the idea of Club or Historic licenced vehicles.
    To do "the piddly 100k's" as in everyday use is not on. Yes the regs are very stiff but for a greatly reduced yearly fee,[$30 in WA] you can't have it all ways.
    Car Club members in WA who have flouted the rules are quickly reported to their Concessional Licencing official in their respective clubs who then are required to pass on the details to the traffic department.
    One member was found to have run up an excessive mileage between annual inspections and it was found that he'd attended very few Club events that year. A member of the family was seen daily on their way to college in the conc. reg car
    Exactly, like I said, it would be very open to abuse .... As the current scheme stands though I'm basically wasting about $100bux a year (30bux... yeah right .... I wish ... For $30bux --less than registering my trailer I could almost tolerate the severe restrictions).

If There was a way of enforcing a 'log book' type scheme I would probably only have 1 car fully registered for my wife. I'd have 3 or 4 cars on the limited scheme which would add upto far less kms I do a year.

However I can NEVER see a way of enforcing 'limited use' .... You would soon see the majority of the cars on the road being "limited use". How could it be enforced, I can already see people scribbling in there log book only at the times when they are pulled over ... or disconnecting there speedo cable if necesary.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

SA sounds like it has a pretty good system with concessional historic registration allowing 90 days of logbooked free use per annum, plus extra days if required for testing/service/transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    SA sounds like it has a pretty good system with concessional historic registration allowing 90 days of logbooked free use per annum, plus extra days if required for testing/service/transit.
    That would be *****PERFECT****** .... However, once again, how on earth would you enforce it ....

Even 20days a year (a couple of days a month) would be good.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Let me put it this way ... I live in Ballarat and have a '63 ID19 on club rego.

Now I'm a member of the Citroen Car Club of Victoria. They usually have at least 1run a month.... Just about always the other side of Melbourne.

My choices:

I can't drive the car around locally and use it for a few days to give it a good shakedown and ensure it's not going to overheat/run intermittantly/bind it's brakes up etc..

My only choice is to risk a 6hour+ drive to the other side of Melbourne with an 11months old baby in the back and hope it doesn't play up ....

Maybe I could join the local club, I might be able to drive it once a month somewhere locally (not to mention probably have to pay another $50+bux a year in membership fees) ... The car would barely get upto operating temperature by the time I got to the gathering .... Of non-citroen enthusiests... At least it could be legally parked on the street for a few hours

It costs nearly $100 a year to club register a club car plus insurance ..... A car that might as well be unregistered as it's so bloody pointless and unusable.

You can't even take it for a spin of a Sunday afternoon .... Nothing... It can only be stuck up in the shed (or your backyard) where it's not near a public road (remember the unregistered bit).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

You need to work the system, eg have a weekly or monthly Citroen club “mystery run” around Ballarat… it just needs to be in the club magazine. Not your fault if no-one else turns up!

Or as mentioned earlier, have the editor list other local events you would like to attend. The club permit scheme is worth-while, at 1/5th the cost of normal rego and there are some very good insurance deals only available to club permit cars.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    You can't even take it for a spin of a Sunday afternoon .... Nothing... It can only be stuck up in the shed (or your backyard) where it's not near a public road (remember the unregistered bit).

The SA system works on an audited logbook, so the trips do get checked. Also if you are out, and get pulled over by the police and the logbook is not filled in you are likely to be prosecuted.

To overcome your predicament, how about the Ballarat Chapter (ie you) of the CCCV organise a monthly round the houses run over a distance of say 100km? Or is there a restriction on the number of events that can be on the club calendar? Would it matter if it clashes with a CCCV in the far east of Victioria?

I'd be investigating how the club can have more events on its calendar, even if only one person goes on the run, it would still a club event. See if this is allowed under the rules of your historic rego.

1000+ Posts

Default Club Permits Victoria

Just to correct my earlier post

Victoria is a permit system, therefore it is not a registered vehicle for the purposes of the Act (put it on a registered trailer and its o.k.)

It can be driven to test brakes and prepare for an event (it would be stupid not to allow this) unfortunately your club may be inflexible in the issue of the permit and only issue it for the actual date of the event, this may cause some conflict if you are found driving outside the dates permitted by your club even though clearly the permit allows testing and preparation. see belowfrom the Vic Roads website.

Club Permits
    A club permit allows an unregistered vehicle to be used on a highway during the period specified on the permit.

A club permit can be issued to the following vehicles in the following categories:

Veteran vehicles - manufactured before 1 January 1919
    Vintage vehicles - manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931
    Classic & Historic vehicles manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a club permit.

These categories can include trailers and modified vehicles such as street rods. Vehicles which are replicas of vehicles in the above categories may also be issued with a club permit.

A Club permit allows vehicles to be used:

in connection with official activities organised by an association approved by VicRoads, such as car rallies, or in the preparation of the vehicle for such activities; or
    if authorisation for special private use has been granted.

Club Permits are issued for 12 month periods and vehicles are issued with a specific club permit number plate.

Applying for a Club Permit
    To apply for a Club permit you will need to complete a Club Permit application form together with:

written verification by the club secretary (or person authorised by VicRoads) that the applicant for the club permit is a member of the car club
    in the case of a club historic vehicle that is not a street rod, a current certificate of roadworthiness or a letter from a scrutineer authorised by the club, stating that the vehicle is safe for use on the road
    in the case of a application made in respect of a street rod, a Street Rod Inspection certificate issued by the Australian Street Rod Federation (ASRF), Technical Advisory Committee or a report from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory establishing that the vehicle is in fact, a modified vehicle, ie modified in excess of the level prescribed in the Vehicle Standards Information No.8. (VSI8). Club scrutineers can assist in this requirement. ASRF can be contacted by calling (03) 9793 6258.
    Club Permit fee

Thanks Ken,

that's exactly what I said (in a gibberish way). Basically the club permit is pointless. We have two cars here, my father pay $100bux a year to have the traction on club rego. It's been used one time ..... As my wedding car several years ago to drive on a 'special permit' 2.5kms to the local wedding reception.... Yes you can't even drive it legally up the back streets of a Sunday legally to your sons wedding without risking being booked for driving an unregistered car (in a log book in South Australia -- you would have simply written 'driven locally around ballarat on sunday xxx of march').

You might as well just fully register the car every 4years .... At least it can then be used. The club permit scheme is totally bloody hopeless at the moment ... ie: you can't use the car ... except maybe once a month if you want to drive a 6hour round trip to the otherside of Melbourne. $100 bux to use a car possibly a maximum of 12times a year isn't what I
    consider 'cheap' Maybe if you lived in Melbourne it would be useful.

A logbook scheme that actually allowed the use of a vehicle on the weekend would be brilliant. I however can't see that ever happening in Victoria where the motor vehicle is basically viewed as a way to screw the public for every cent they can get.

Basically it's $200bux a year (+ insurance) totally wasted. Maybe it would be ok if you were retired and could make it to every single club event and try to make use of the extremely limited rego.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 4th August 2005 at 09:22 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Default Club Administration

Shane

Basically the idea was good, but once the Federation of Car Clubs got involved they stuffed some very open and generous legislation - really if your club administers the permit scheme correctly, then you can get very good use out of your vehicle attending not only your events, but other events run by approved clubs.

By my reading your private use as a non profit family wedding car should have been allowable under your club permit scheme. Some Club Administrators are too restrictive, others perhaps don't care.

You should be able to get more than enough running to enjoy your car most weeks of the year - note in travelling to a City event should be catered for in the permit, even if staying in Melbourne a few days as trip down and back are in connection with the event.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Shane

Basically the idea was good, but once the Federation of Car Clubs got involved they stuffed some very open and generous legislation - really if your club administers the permit scheme correctly, then you can get very good use out of your vehicle attending not only your events, but other events run by approved clubs.

By my reading your private use as a non profit family wedding car should have been allowable under your club permit scheme. Some Club Administrators are too restrictive, others perhaps don't care.

You should be able to get more than enough running to enjoy your car most weeks of the year - note in travelling to a City event should be catered for in the permit, even if staying in Melbourne a few days as trip down and back are in connection with the event.

Ken
    Hi Ken,

the club is very good. We applied for special permission and had the required forms faxed to us so the cars could go to the wedding.... But that's just it... It requires "special reasons" and annoying of clubs management to get a permit to drive the car.

Now trip to Melbourne for a long weekend and visit a club run. Yep visit the club run we can. The driving down and back on a day other than the even is NOT PERMISSABLE). The car will be UNREGISTERED. Just like the special permit we need to drive 2kms to my wedding, I would need a special permit from the club officers to drive the car down and back outside of the day of the club event (unless you wish to risk being booked for driving an uninsured, unregistered car).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Starting to see how severly restrictive this scheme and hopeless this is for people living outside of Melbourne.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

It's great in QLD - can road test a conc reg vehicle within a 15klm radius anytime. Too easy

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    It's great in QLD - can road test a conc reg vehicle within a 15klm radius anytime. Too easy
    That would allow me to drive to work everyday and just about cover most of Ballarat
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Default Like to see that restriction in writing!!

Hi Ken,

Now trip to Melbourne for a long weekend and visit a club run. Yep visit the club run we can. The driving down and back on a day other than the even is NOT PERMISSABLE). The car will be UNREGISTERED. Just like the special permit we need to drive 2kms to my wedding, I would need a special permit from the club officers to drive the car down and back outside of the day of the club event (unless you wish to risk being booked for driving an uninsured, unregistered car).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Starting to see how severly restrictive this scheme and hopeless this is for people living outside of Melbourne.

Like to see that reasoning in writing from Vic Roads. - more like inflexible Club Officialdom, surely dates can be extended to reflect the reality of the event and your country location - as it IS within the spirit of the legislation to do so

Time to press for a collector plate that refers to person owning/permitting use and specifies nominated vehicles with ONE third party component and say maximum of five vehicles, only one of those is validly registered and insured when in use on the road

Ken

Like to see that reasoning in writing from Vic Roads. - more like inflexible Club Officialdom, surely dates can be extended to reflect the reality of the event and your country location - as it IS within the spirit of the legislation to do so

Time to press for a collector plate that refers to person owning/permitting use and specifies nominated vehicles with ONE third party component and say maximum of five vehicles, only one of those is validly registered and insured when in use on the road

Ken
    Hi Ken,

the CCCV is VERY good, staffed by people out of there own good will who will try to help in anyway. It's in the club plate rules, the car is ONLY to be used for a club event. Outside this criteria you need a special permit. Anyone going to any Cit-in will require a special permit (unless you can drive there in one day and back in one day). This is following the rules. The club WILL help you out. But there not going to write a permit (rightly so) to state "use car around town for a sunday".

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

to state "use car around town for a sunday".
    What would stop the Ballarat Chapter of the CCCV organising a two day event on every weekend in the year? A run that extends in a 100km radius of Ballarat.

One other good thing about the SA system is that the car retains its original rego plates, you don't need those CH plates or plates with stuff like historic vehicle titled on them.

1000+ Posts

Default Not to labour the point.

This is one of the problems - car clubs feel that they have to "police" the trust that has been granted, when the spirit of the legislation clearly expresses reasonable use of the permit legislation.

It would be nice to see either case law, or a Vic Roads determination that says a club cannot permit an extention of the event to enable people to drive to the event, be it in the City or country and then return home, what if the car breaks down, is then repaired enroute, why could not an extension of date be granted?.

In my view this is commonsense and a responsible club official should be allowed to make that decision and extention of the permit. Make it workable!

If someone can post a Government/Vic Roads directive, I would like to see that. No guidelines please, they are an invitation to use commonsense.

This is one of the problems - car clubs feel that they have to "police" the trust that has been granted, when the spirit of the legislation clearly expresses reasonable use of the permit legislation.

It would be nice to see either case law, or a Vic Roads determination that says a club cannot permit an extention of the event to enable people to drive to the event, be it in the City or country and then return home, what if the car breaks down, is then repaired enroute, why could not an extension of date be granted?.

In my view this is commonsense and a responsible club official should be allowed to make that decision and extention of the permit. Make it workable!

If someone can post a Government/Vic Roads directive, I would like to see that. No guidelines please, they are an invitation to use commonsense.
    Ken,

the club can alway issue a special use permit anywhere, anytime. If you break down just contact the secretary and have the relevant permit faxed to you. The club itself isn't the issue, they have to work hard with this scheme if anyone wants to use there car for anything other than club events printed in the magazine.

It's the leglislation that's needs to change. I'm not any help, if I cared enough Me, I, US should be approaching the goverment as moaning and complaining on the internet will acheive nothing.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

It's the leglislation that's needs to change. I'm not any help, if I cared enough Me, I, US should be approaching the goverment as moaning and complaining on the internet will acheive nothing.
    What stops you "organising" an event that occcurs around Ballarat every weekend of the year through the club? Don't whinge about the legislation use it to your advantage if it is possible.

Fellow Frogger!

Default West Australian club cars

I look at this system as a privilege and one that allows us to keep our old cars. In my case a 61 Dauphine. Around $100-00 per year for insurance and $30-00 for licence makes this possible.

The system is designed to keep our historic cars around. If it were not there many more would end up being scrapped.

I have a choice obey the restrictions or fully licence it.

Good advice from Simon is this possible in your State.

Graelin

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information