Peugeot Designed for Easy Maintenance ??
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot Designed for Easy Maintenance ??

Hi all,

Well I got my dwell meter figured out an tuned up the 504. While I was on a roll I gave my daughter's Mitsubishi Colt a new set of points, oil and fuel filter and spark plugs. The contrast was interesting. The 504 seems so easy to work on and access what you need to access. The Colt's oil filter is underneath the alternator and on top of a cross member and suspension mount. Impossible to get to from on top and hard to get at from underneath. The distributor sticks out at back of the motor at right angles to the block with about a four inch cap to the firewall. It was easier to pull the whole distributor out and changes points and adjust gap etc than to try and attack it in place. It was hard to even see into the top of the distributor never mind do the adjustments. The fuel filter up against the firewall down low and you need to remove top hose from above and bottom hose from underneath.

Advertisement

It started me thinking that is why I enjoy the 504. It appears they were designed for easy maintenance? Also follows that the 504 is also very renewable (bore liners etc.). You could rebuild the whole car if you wished? How many times can you bore out the block on a Colt?

I am speaking about the 504 mainly. Other models up for discussion? Are they the same or are they more difficult? I think from memory from a 505 GTI I owned you needed to drop the motor off the mounts to get access to the starter motor?

Peter J. ( A 504 lover!! )
    PJ

work under the bonnet of a 205gti and lose the skin off your knuckles working around a 205gti is the worst, specially if your trying to pull bits off it. .

shes a tight fit, but just the way we like it.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

1000+ Posts

One of the appealing things about Peugeots was their intelligent design which of course made them easy and enjoyable to work on. When dismantling my 203 I was impressed by the way its engineering had been thought through. A different design philosophy began to show its influence during the 1970's with cars which weren't for owner maintenance. (104 and 604). This aspect of the make was all downhill from there. I really think the engineers of the earlier era would wince at the accessibility problems of things like belts and water pumps in the newer front drive cars. I don't think its either good or clever engineering to fit a timing belt that needs regular checking and replacement and then provide little access for the owner to do it. That's the sort of thing we used to laugh at the British for.

hmmm, i guess newer car makers are depending more and more on additional income from service and spares, rather then the older car makers.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It's simple. The car are basically built to be 'robot friendly' on the production line. Robot friendly == no human labour == cheap to make.

Maitenance down the track has little if any impact on the way the car is designed.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Maitenance down the track has little if any impact on the way the car is designed.
    Well said ... I guess that is the point of it all .... shame really.

Peter J.
    PJ

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    work under the bonnet of a 205gti and lose the skin off your knuckles working around a 205gti is the worst, specially if your trying to pull bits off it. .

shes a tight fit, but just the way we like it.
    Tell me about, I did the starter motor on the 205 a few days ago and it looks like I have been in a bar brawl my hands and knuckles all scratched and red and i have a small bruise on my ear from banging on something when I was under the car...
    05' Megane 225 Cup

onigh
    Quote Originally Posted by pugsy
    Tell me about, I did the starter motor on the 205 a few days ago and it looks like I have been in a bar brawl my hands and knuckles all scratched and red and i have a small bruise on my ear from banging on something when I was under the car...
    yah tell me about it - this arvo i spent close to two hours trying to secure the passenger side of the bonnet as the bolt came away on the s3 . had to remove the wipers, then the black pastic bit_at the top of the bonnet_then needle my hand to secure a nut and bolt and a few washers to secure the bonnet... arghh! .

just try and remove the plastic arch extensions or bumpers!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

btw, pugsy, after all these years, we still dont know your real name - and dont say its michael jordan or johnny holmes .
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Fellow Frogger!

My real name.. I am scared to tell you as you might track me down and beat over the head with a tyre lever or one of purrrgeots sandals

btw it's Joel
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Might jump in to defend newer Pugs. I have found the 406 pretty user friendly, and straightforward to maintain. Still has the Pug trick of laying the motor over on an angle and putting everything on one side for easy access. Although, I got the 4 cylinder model - the V6 looks pretty tight. Its one of the reason I didnt spring for a V6 - that and purchase price and fuel prices....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information