GTi6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: GTi6

Default GTi6

Hello there. Just discovered this brilliant site!
    I am planning on buying a GTi6 very shortly and was interested to hear from owners etc what I should look out for regarding big service bills, common faults and fixes. They all seem to be up close to or over 100,000km's now. Are there timing belt changes that are made at certain intervals etc? What are the major modifications that I should be cautious with? If anyone is planning on selling let me know as well!
    Thanks everyone.
    Iain

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by irossiter
    Hello there. Just discovered this brilliant site!
    I am planning on buying a GTi6 very shortly and was interested to hear from owners etc what I should look out for regarding big service bills, common faults and fixes. They all seem to be up close to or over 100,000km's now. Are there timing belt changes that are made at certain intervals etc? What are the major modifications that I should be cautious with? If anyone is planning on selling let me know as well!
    Thanks everyone.
    Iain
    Welcome to AF irrossiter. Do a search and you'll find many threads regarding what to look out for when buying a gti6. But in summary, generally the main thing is ensure timing belt has been done every 80K or 4 yrs, whichever comes first. Also some people have had problems with engine mounts and the associated chassis connection, but it's not rare or common. Little (not expensive) common problems are oem rotors wear out quickly, clutch cable may need replacing, mufflers rust out. Other than that, from my own experience and what I've heard, they're a pretty bulletproof car and just need to have had regular maintenance/service. Just make sure when you buy one it's got full log books, no major accidents, get it checked out by a reputable peugeot mechanic and that it feels fine to drive.

How much are you willing to pay for one? Especially those under 100K kms?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Yeah, just make sure it has had its timing belt changed. Other than that here is a list of things that I have had done on my car in the year since I have had it:
    - Lower engine mount replaced
    - Driveshaft boot replaced
    - Steering rack bushes replaced
    - Gear box drained.

Basically anything with "bush" or "mount" in its name should be looked at. I'm also in need of a new driveshaft which is making the car shake ridiuously whenever I put my foot down.

Look here for help as these guys are in the know big time. Good to bounce ideas off for mods and stuff. Good luck in finding one! I saw one for sale in the Age last week at Spencer St Car sales.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Good idea Stone, I'll also list repairs/replacements in the 1.5 yrs I've had mine.

- Exhaust from the cat back replaced with new oem parts, due to original centre and rear muffler failing. Cost approx. $600.
    - Disc rotors replaced with slotted non-oem rotors. Mine were an italian item and cost approx. $400/pair, but you can replace with DBA (Disc Brakes Australia) which are just as good and cost approx. $300/pair.
    - Haven't yet replaced my lower front wishbone bushes, but they are due for replacement. Approx. cost $300-$400/pair (I was told).

The only major dramas I've had are completely due to the exhaust, and most has been my own fault since I first tried some aftermarket mufflers which I hated before I went back and replaced with the peugeot items.

Also, I've found the gti6 is very sensitive to wheel alignment settings (note: only front toe settings can be adjusted on the gti6). When I first test drove the car, it handled very well. After I bought it, I took it a Bob Jane and got a wheel alignment (just in case) which was a bad mistake as they stuffed something up and it handled like crap. Eventually I found a place which did it right and it dramatically changed the car. btw I have 2mm toe out on the car and it turns in superbly and no uneven tyre wear.

- 306 gti6

Default GTi6

Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.
    I'd probably be willing to pay up to $20,000, as I'm pretty keen on them. They are generally below $18,000. I have seen a few under 100K km's. Like always, it would depend on the overall condition.
    Will keep a look out!
    Cheers
    Iain R

How much are you willing to pay for one? Especially those under 100K kms?[/QUOTE]

Default GTi6

By the way, how much roughly is the timing belt to replace? I would be very paranoid if I found one that had gone too far over the recommended schedule and would get it done the day I picked the car up. I used to have a couple of BMW's (don't hold that against me folks!!) and heard horror stories of trashed engines. It is always worth the expense to replace on time.
    Cheers
    Iain R

By the way, how much roughly is the timing belt to replace? I would be very paranoid if I found one that had gone too far over the recommended schedule and would get it done the day I picked the car up. I used to have a couple of BMW's (don't hold that against me folks!!) and heard horror stories of trashed engines. It is always worth the expense to replace on time.
    Cheers
    Iain R
    I love beamers, especially the older ones. Re timing belt, mine is due for replacing in the next 40K kms or mid next year. I've been told it's approx. $800 including replacing the water pump. Yeah there have been a few gti6 owners who haven't followed schedule and found out the hard way.

My car's a '98 model white gti6 with about 80K on the odo'. Full service history etc etc. I haven't really thought about selling it, but just got married and the inevitable boring magna wagon will come in a couple yrs time. So for the right price I guess I'd sell earlier. Though I would have to find a nice 205 gti as a weekend car to balance out the magna
    Anyway, if you're interested, send me a PM as I'll be making a trip to Melbourne in the next couple of months, and if you haven't found a gti6 there by then, you can check it out.

- 306 gti6

I got mine a year ago for $18990 with a $1000 trade in. At the time it had 64,000km on the clock, but the first owner hadn't serviced it for the first 15,000km or so and it hadn't been driven for 18 months. It now has 85,000km which is pretty good for a '98 model.

You should come to the next AF meet whenever we have one and you can check it out. I won best car at the French Car Day 1990-2000 which just goes to show what an absolutely awesome car it is

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

You can do a timong belt on a gti6 for no more than 300. If youre paying $800 youre going to the wrong mechanic

For 20k you might be able to find a late model with alcantera interior, though very rare and sought after

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    I won best car at the French Car Day 1990-2000 which just goes to show what an absolutely awesome car it is

but gets beaten by a 205gti driven by his girlfriend!

yah nice gti6 youve got, steve .
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet

but gets beaten by a 205gti driven by his girlfriend!

yah nice gti6 youve got, steve .

Even better now that the scratch down the driver's side has been fixed and the rear bumper/beam has been resprayed.

BTW, she's not my girlfriend anymore you big spacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    You can do a timong belt on a gti6 for no more than 300. If youre paying $800 youre going to the wrong mechanic
    Oh ok, cheers. I got that figure based on what other AF members have said. My mechanic's never ripped me off to date, and I don't think he's about to start either.

- 306 gti6

The other thing I thought of to look for are the rear light clusters. Mine were rotten through as water can get inside them and rust them to buggery. Luckily it was a warranty fix and got brand new light clusters.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    The other thing I thought of to look for are the rear light clusters. Mine were rotten through as water can get inside them and rust them to buggery. Luckily it was a warranty fix and got brand new light clusters.
    that's a neat trick

it would need a hell of a lot of water to get into the rear lights plus the seal would be either shot around the lights as they seal up against the body of the car or they weren't tensioned up properly giving them a good seal against the body

i pull mine out everytime i wash the car to chamois behind and around them and then put them back

never had a problem and it takes all of less than a minute to pull each side off
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    that's a neat trick

it would need a hell of a lot of water to get into the rear lights plus the seal would be either shot around the lights as they seal up against the body of the car or they weren't tensioned up properly giving them a good seal against the body

i pull mine out everytime i wash the car to chamois behind and around them and then put them back

never had a problem and it takes all of less than a minute to pull each side off

Don't think the previous owner of my car had the same idea.

There was so much water in my rear lights you could actually see its level about half way up the reverse lights. The bulbs were all rusted in, broken off or both.

Default GTi6

Cheers
    You guys really are helpful. Wet tail lights! Sounds like a problem form my bloody 1963 Mini! Hang on, that would include the boot (including the Battery box holding the battery!). The floor of the box rusts out and more than one Mini owner has had the battery fall out through the floor of the boot whilst driving. I'd imagine that if you had your leads screwed on tightly you would keep going! Don't want to think about earthing!
    At least I have no problems up front with my rebuilt Cooper S motor. Not sure whether it was a good idea installing a Weber though. More torque low down and power but Oh My God the NOISE. Just as well it is going to be retired to the race track after I get my GTi6.
    It is an absolute bugger trying to get the battery out. The boot hinges down and you have to stick your head inside the boot, grab the battery and lift it out. To say that it is bloody shocking on your back is an understatemnt! And I'm only 33!
    I have been studying in Tassie for the last 4 years and have tried out just about all of the awesome roads around the state if anyone is interested in knowing the best roads to tackle. I will have the Mini in Targa within the next couple of years.

Iain

I have been studying in Tassie for the last 4 years and have tried out just about all of the awesome roads around the state if anyone is interested in knowing the best roads to tackle. I will have the Mini in Targa within the next couple of years.

Iain
    You're not at AMC by any chance are you?

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    You're not at AMC by any chance are you?
    No, at UTAS doing Med. Was in Hobart but I've been in Burnie last 2 years. I can tell people who don't know the place, not terribly exciting!! Have a job back in Melbourne next year so can't wait to get home. My fiance has a very nice 2000 Diablo Red XSi, so we will be one happy little Pug family. She even has a sub woofer in the boot! Cool chick! I had driven a couple of 205 GTi's a few years ago and always knew I would come back to Pugs. They really were the modern day Cooper S Mini.
    Iain

You gouys know that you can split the tail light lens from the backing plate don't you?

They clip apart, so you can clean dust and crap off the lens or drain the water out. I put a very thin layer of grease on the seals, to keap them from becoming dry & brittle

No, at UTAS doing Med. Was in Hobart but I've been in Burnie last 2 years. I can tell people who don't know the place, not terribly exciting!! Have a job back in Melbourne next year so can't wait to get home. My fiance has a very nice 2000 Diablo Red XSi, so we will be one happy little Pug family. She even has a sub woofer in the boot! Cool chick! I had driven a couple of 205 GTi's a few years ago and always knew I would come back to Pugs. They really were the modern day Cooper S Mini.
    Iain
    No worries Iain. It's just that I know a few guys from Melb and Adelaide who went to the AMC in Tas. Yeah the Xsi is a real sleeper too, 4 doors and all, but it sure goes around corners well. I still want to get a 205 gti one of these days, but only as a weekend car. Anyway, good luck with your studies.

- 306 gti6

Default GTi6 sunroof

Sorry about not abiding by the discussions of French cars only. Should have been aware of it!
    Anyway,there is a guy in Sydney who wants $29000(!!!) for a "concours" GTi6. It has done 70K but with some mods apparently. I honestly can't see how anyone could ask that much for one! Maybe it's a mistake? Even with a full Peugeot history. If it had done 10K only and you were obsessed with GTi6's????
    Through my wanderings, there seems to be many minor changes in specs etc through the 4 or so years they were around. How much head room does the sunroof take up? If any of you have one could you let me know whether you have any trouble (and how tall you are)? I had a twin cam Corolla a while back and it drove me bloody bonkers cranking my head to the side (and I'm only about 179cm!) Damn thing blocked the drain channels all the time as well. Does that happen with a Peugeot genuine sunroof?
    Cheers
    Iain R

Is it a 99 model with alacantera interior? If so it's worth morte than that

I'm not sure about the sunroof, but I am 178 and fit perfectly fine in mine.

Oh, here is a list of things that currently don't work in my car:
    - Air Con (needs re-gassing)
    - Electric mirrors (the control is broken, but I could probably fix it if I could be bothered)

You'll want a new parcel shelf as well if you want some decent speakers. I think my rear 6" 3 ways are out of phase or it's just an awful shelf to mount speakers on.

Anyway,there is a guy in Sydney who wants $29000(!!!) for a "concours" GTi6.
    As said in the movie, The Castle....Tell him he's dreeeaaaming.

- 306 gti6

I've got to say it. After having driven about half a dozen GTi6s, that engine is an absolute gem. I thought the fizzy twin cam in the late model XSi was nice but the changes Peugeot made for the GTi engine are magic. Just pulls like a train. The 180 in the 206 must be pretty addictive!
    I think I'm going to have to keep a check on how many points I have left on my licence

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information