Living in a Sunbeam Talbot
  • Register
  • Help

Default Living in a Sunbeam Talbot

Did anyone see Today Tonight last night about the 81 year old living in a car?

reporter said his home was his old car, a Sunbeam Talbot.
    He has apparently refused offers of help, blankets etc always buys his food.
    I assume he must have been offered an old caravan somewhere along the line and has refused it.... so I wonder if the car is one he bought and drove, and what is its history. And what model was it?
    Car looked like it was from the 40's ?????

Decca

Advertisement
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Quote Originally Posted by Decca

reporter said his home was his old car, a Sunbeam Talbot.
    He has apparently refused offers of help, blankets etc always buys his food.
    I assume he must have been offered an old caravan somewhere along the line and has refused it.... so I wonder if the car is one he bought and drove, and what is its history. And what model was it?
    Car looked like it was from the 40's ?????

Decca
    Looked like a 1950 Sunbeam Talbot sedan. Quite a nice car in their day. The local guys would hot them up by putting Humber engines in them.

But that poor old duffer - I can think of better cars to live in (someone should gove him a Kombi Van!). I even think the windows were broken as he had thin black plastic over them held on by pegs.
    He seemed a bit stubborn & a tad cranky - I wonder if his ex wife is living in comfort somewhere. Sometimes these old eccentrics have tons of money but wont spend it.
    So many projects - so little time.

So you reckon the old codger should buy a Whinebaygo?
    Perhaps he isn't Scottish.

And I noticed, at least, the Sunbeam has the higher roof-line, a destinct aid to access and egress, this during trailer.

Is it registered, could end up in the council compound.
    Could be rescued by the Sunbeam Car Club.
    Could be in next years Big Brother.

I wonder what he's so angry about?
    What was said during his 7.5 minutes of infamy?
    What did he say?

ed ge
    Last edited by edgedweller; 30th July 2005 at 09:18 PM.

Didn't they have the Hawk engine anyway?

Aluminium rods, IIRC.

Was this on the teev last night, the 29/7/2005? Wow, so much for being a current affairs show. That was featured in the Adelaide Advertiser at least six months ago, and I also think it gained another spot on the teev at the time too. The chap was supposed to being moved into a care home at that particular time.

Are you sure it was the same one?

edgedweller I didn't think he had any particular beef. He came across as being independant, and probably wanted to stay that way.
    I doubt the car was registered, didnt see any plates and in Queensland (which is where I think it was) dont they do annual roadworthy checks?

He had refused charity of even small things like blankets ( so he'd probably refuse an old kombie or caravan) and I was assuming that the car is something he bought and owned. He seemed fortunate that the local store owner looks after him by delivering groceries

Looked like a 1950 Sunbeam Talbot sedan. Quite a nice car in their day. The local guys would hot them up by putting Humber engines in them.
    could have been a 1950 model. I thought it looked an older style compared to a comtemporay car, eg. an FJ Holden. But wasnt sure.
    As part of the Rootes group, wouldn've Humber engines been normal fare?

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

edgedweller I didn't think he had any particular beef. He came across as being independant, and probably wanted to stay that way.
    ********* could have been a 1950 model. I thought it looked an older style compared to a comtemporay car, eg. an FJ Holden. But wasnt sure.
    As part of the Rootes group, wouldn've Humber engines been normal fare?

Decca
    Yes - we need a lot more of the 'kindness' shown to the old fella by the shopkeeper. This used to be quite normal when I was a lad, a throwback to the Depression & swaggies . It is unusual now because of the reaction to fake beggars I see every day in the city ( especially the young healthy men & women who demand money to support a drug or pokie habit) no wonder normal people become cynical.

These Sunbeams had Hillman engines , early on, and a column gearchange (not as nice as a 203!). The trick was to get a 2.5(?) Humber engine & gbox with a floor shift and stuff it in. Mongrels to work on compared with putting a Pug 403 engine in a 203. I remember the homemade tripod and block& tackle groaning under the weight of those heavy english lumps of iron.
    So many projects - so little time.

Sounds like a case in the Herald Sun last week, an old lady found deceased in her house 3 weeks after the fact. House had no running water or electricity, no food apart from food for dozens of cats in the place. The local council (think it was up near Ballarat) had tried to help and it was refused.

Thread Information