NSW FCD & Rear pad wear
  • Register
  • Help

Icon6 NSW FCD & Rear pad wear

G`day, First off we had great day last sunday,thank you to all involved.The next big problem, is which one? Is it the late model 306? Maybe a 3yr old Xsaria? Or do I get involved with a beautifull mature seductress, that will leave me, broken hearted and penniless. Answers in 25 words or less??? Moving on, I`ve a few threads about excessive rear pad wear, it could be caused by a number of things ie, too hard f/pads, to gentle braking,single piston rear caliper only moves a small amount on sliders then cocks over slightly & jams ,holding outer pad in contact with disc, whilst inner retracts with piston. Excessive disc wear/noise&dust, price you pay for stopping with nonasbestos linings! A bit glib,but a fact of life I`m afraid.

Advertisement
    To Ride Is Human To Glide Is Divine

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Macoustra
    Moving on, I`ve a few threads about excessive rear pad wear, it could be caused by a number of things ie, too hard f/pads, to gentle braking,single piston rear caliper only moves a small amount on sliders then cocks over slightly & jams ,holding outer pad in contact with disc, whilst inner retracts with piston. Excessive disc wear/noise&dust, price you pay for stopping with nonasbestos linings! A bit glib,but a fact of life I`m afraid.
    Rear pad wear will depend on which car your talking about & what options it has. Traditionally, front pads bear the brunt of braking & the rears tend to have a longer life. This means that a lot of manufacturers use thinner pads on the rear discs. Sadly, on my car, I have Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (somebody has told me this only applys during emergency stops, but I'm not so sure). E.B.D. evenly distributes the braking between all 4 wheels. This means that my thinner, rear pads wear out long before the front ones. This was borne out by the fact that I recently had to replace the rear pads recently, while the front ones are fine.

As for discs, Peugeot is well known for using a softer metal than some other manufacturers & they tend to wear out sooner. That being said, I think a lot of it comes down to how you brake (this includes pad life). The wear I have on my discs (you can tell by the depth of the lip that forms around the outside edge over time) after 36,000kms is about 50% less than another 180 I saw which had 26,000kms on the clock. Although he uses his car for track work occasionally. It's also about equal with a third 180 with less than 10,000kms on the clock. Either I'm pretty gentle on the stoppers (ok, maybe I don't brake as often as I should), or I've been lucky & got a mutant set of discs.

I'm no expert on any of this, and pretty much all I've put here is guesswork based on various pieces of information I've been given over time. So I'm happy to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    It's also about equal with a third 180 with less than 10,000kms on the clock. Either I'm pretty gentle on the stoppers (ok, maybe I don't brake as often as I should), or I've been lucky & got a mutant set of discs.
    Mine are certainly starting to look that way, Industrie. My outside pads at the back are wearing much faster than the insides, and the fronts look barely touched.

I'm starting to sense a trend
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Go the 3 yr old Xsara!!! I just bought a nice gold '03 VTS from sydney and I LOVE it
    After looking around for a 306, i decided on the Xsara as it is alot more bang for buck. I could have paid $2500 more for a 98 GTI6 that had alot of rattles, alot of klms and no extras. My Xsara was a little over $16000, has full leather, sunroof, CD stacker, still under new car and only 30,000klms. This seem a lot better value for what is essentially the same car minus the 6 speed box.

A little over the 25 word limit...sorry
    - '03 Xsara VTS -

Icon6

Well, ladies & gents did the deed, sprung for the xsara right price, right Kms.We purchased from Continental`s here in Sydney,my wife was very impressed with the way the salesman handled the sale,we were spoken too ,not down too.Definately NOT your Typical used car leach, dripping in chunky brass,hairspray & platitudes. Thanks for the replys,will take on board the r/pad comments. Do the E.B.C equiped cars also have traction control/stability control? Or was this only an option on high end cars?
    To Ride Is Human To Glide Is Divine

And about the rear brakes? What's the story there?

It could be that the flexible hose has come apart inside and is preventing the return of fluid to the master cylinder at the rate it's supposed to go. This will hold the rear brakes on. Front brakes too if it's on the front line.

Thread Information