Driving Lights, cheapest place
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Driving Lights, cheapest place

hey guys...

im after some driving lights that will stand up to being used on rallies, as i have one coming up and i need to get the car set up, so....

where would be the best place to get driving lights from in melbourne, mostly the eastern suburbs?

Advertisement

what would be the best type/brand to use?

tho i dont want to spend an arm and a leg, i have a budget of around $300 - 400, and i'm looking for 2 sets,

Michael
    1972 504 Ti

Mike most new driving lights are ABS plastic or expensive aluminium etc. Do a google for HELLA or NARVA lights and start picking what you like.

BUT!..... since your on a budget i suggest you got to your local wrecker and just buy cheap second hand ones and wire them up yourself on a relay and cable tie them to your car. Take a 9 volt battery and jsut chekc that the fillament in the bulb glows, so you know the bulb works too.
    I say cable tie instead of bolting as if its gonna rip off in a small hit, not bolt means no busted hole somewere on your car.
    Als, if its a CAMS event i think the glass has to be covered in a tuff platic to stop glass from falling on the track, but you will have to check that up with your scrutenier. - Chris
    ... ptui!

mrd

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L
    hey guys...

im after some driving lights that will stand up to being used on rallies, as i have one coming up and i need to get the car set up, so....

where would be the best place to get driving lights from in melbourne, mostly the eastern suburbs?

what would be the best type/brand to use?

tho i dont want to spend an arm and a leg, i have a budget of around $300 - 400, and i'm looking for 2 sets,

Michael
    Michael, Contact me at work tommorow (thursday)on 97058800 between 1pm & 9pm.
    I can help with cibie, hella or narva lights. Also know of a pair of cibie turinis s/h for $250.
    Cheers Matt.
    Last edited by mrd; 21st July 2005 at 01:30 AM. Reason: forgot to put work hrs in
    505 Series II Turbo Petrol! (US Import)
    504 Rally Car ('79 & '95 Round Aust Car)
    '97 Subaru Liberty

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mrd
    Michael, Contact me at work tommorow (thursday)on 97058800 between 1pm & 9pm.
    I can help with cibie, hella or narva lights. Also know of a pair of cibie turinis s/h for $250.
    Cheers Matt.
    damm.. sold them a couple of days ago....
    1972 504 Ti

VIP Sponsor

damm.. sold them a couple of days ago....
    I can lend you a pair for the Ivans Folly.
    Graham

Mike Try EAI They had Cibie Oscars on special a little while ago for a pretty good price. Alternatively put some 90/130's into your headlights with a relay and you won't believe the difference.

Forget Cibie, Narva, Hella, Marchal etc and get yourself a set of lightforce aussie made and absolutly brilliant www.lightforce.net.au made in SA
    Last edited by cruiserman; 21st July 2005 at 09:27 PM. Reason: .net not .com
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Fellow Frogger!

thanks guys,

After talking between mum and friends, ive decided to go with 90/130's in the headlight and get some spots, porbably 100watters, this will inturn be much cheaper that what i had previously planned, which is good, means more money to spend else were on the car..

i have also taken in account the AMP'age draw, so im getting my altinator amped to 55amps, up from the 40amps, which is all good, and i plan on upgrading the wiring to handle the bigger draw of power, to the lights and altinator..

so im still after some decient spots, will have a look at EAI next week, as well as some other places, over the weekend

mike
    1972 504 Ti

Default Lightforce

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Forget Cibie, Narva, Hella, Marchal etc and get yourself a set of lightforce aussie made and absolutly brilliant www.lightforce.net.au made in SA
    I'll second that!
    I've had a pair of pretty ordinary (ie, not too expensive) Lightforce (about 150 mm dia 100 watt) for about 5 years now and I wouldn't have anything else.
    They are individually adjustable between long spots or wide range and the original bulbs are still in them.
    I've only had them on bitumen but I believe they are pretty tough in off-road driving.
    Re the valid comment of CAMS regs, Lightforce are polycarbonate, I think, so should be OK without covers.
    I think they are very good value.

Cheers.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

is this for the 504 ?

770w is what you will get out of 55amps

130 x 2 = 260
    100 x 2 = 200

you are up to 460w just there

add the centre lights if you are running a 4 light front end of 2x100=200

you are now up to 660w on high beam

add to that dash lights, parking lights, ignition, fuel pump and any other little ancillaries and you are starting to push the limits of the alternators output

i would go for around a 70amp if it were me

just my thoughts
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

add the centre lights if you are running a 4 light front end of 2x100=200
    yes it is for the 504,

i will only be using a 2 light front end, so the alternator should have enought just for that

later on if i decide on going for a 4 light front end (money permitting) i will go for a 80amp or so alternator

mike
    Last edited by Mike L; 22nd July 2005 at 12:03 AM. Reason: add more infomation
    1972 504 Ti

i will only be using a 2 light front end, so the altinatior should have enought just for that

mike

so you don't have the kangaroo lights in that car ?

trap TI's had twin globe (kangaroo) traps in them originally but they may have been replaced at some stage with single globe units
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    so you don't have the kangaroo lights in that car ?

trap TI's had twin globe (kangaroo) traps in them originally but they may have been replaced at some stage with single globe units
    umm.. not sure, i have a feeling from what ive seen, havent realy studdied the lights, will have a look tomorrow, but it looks like 1 of them in twin globe and the other isnt, dont know......

mike
    1972 504 Ti

umm.. not sure, i have a feeling from what ive seen, havent realy studdied the lights, will have a look tomorrow, but it looks like 1 of them in twin globe and the other isnt, dont know......

mike

be worth checking

if they both do then you will have 4 lights plus the spotties
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

hey guys

i had a look at the lights today b4 i went out to get bits, and i noticed that one light was a cibie and the other was ducelliet, the cibie light had what look like to be another reflecter inside, it was only small in height but followed the shape of the light and waz the quite wide, not sure exactly what is does, becasue it has a 55w H3 globe on the refelector, and some other big round globe behind it... any way i took all the globes to autobarn and bought some narva 90/100w H4's and a 100w H3, which i will put in tomorrow, so i should have a lot more light then what i had b4 which was around 40 - 55w each light, i also bought some hella comet 500's as my driving light which ill will also put in tomorrow.

guess we will see tomorrow if there is an improvement, which there should be...

mike
    1972 504 Ti

Thread Information