Car Dealers \ Dodgy Dealers
  • Register
  • Help

Default Car Dealers \ Dodgy Dealers

I know this is a little off topic, as the car in question is a FORD *cough* F#cked on Racing DAy *cough*, but a mate of mine is having issues with the car he bought, and it mite interest some froggers.

The situation is he bought a second hand xr6 from a slimey dealer.
    This guy doesn't know much about cars, trusted the dealer, and didn't do his research.

He's had the car less than a month, and has been having troubles with the gearbox, so he took it to a ford service center to have it checked out.
    They reported that the gearbox had been changed with an xr6 turbo gearbox, which is not compatible, by someone who wasn't a ford dealer. This will continue causiing problems, and has voided his ford factory warranty.
    Repairing it will cost $3200.
    My mate was never told about the change of gearbox, in fact he was told he would be the second owner when he was the third(this was verbal).

So far, his loan company (esanda) is saying that if he can get a letter from ford saying the car is defective, they will give the money back and place the charge on the dealer. But he hasn't got this note yet, the guy at the ford service center needed to run it past his manager first.

Are there any other actions he can take? Fair trading laws etc.
    Are there any obligations on the part of a dealer?

Cheers

Advertisement
    Xsara VTS (04)

The car should be covered under a statutory warranty if it is 2ndhand and only 1 month since purchase. In WA this regulated by the Dept of Consumer & Employment Protection - not sure where you are but every state should have a similar dept. This site has details of the WA statutory warranty and i would think that all states would be similar if not the same.

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/cp/motorv...r_warranty.pdf

Well, I know what'll happen if he complains on a certain forum... They'll punt the thread.

This is NSW, right? Go to this website for a brief summary of stuff related to this.

Look, I know this sounds sour most likely but there is only one way some people learn, and even then some of them never learn. I suspect several others (maybe you too?) offered him better advice but he struck out on his own...

We complain about the nanny state, then don't respect our own hard-earned. That all said and over with, he's going to lose a few bob but it shouldn't be too hard to recover; Esanda seem to be doing commendably.

Cheers, Adam.
    Last edited by addo; 12th July 2005 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Infomation updated, expanded.

This is NSW, right? Go to this website for a brief summary of stuff related to this.

Cheers, that's just what i was looking for

Look, I know this sounds sour most likely but there is only one way some people learn, and even then some of them never learn. I suspect several others (maybe you too?) offered him better advice but he struck out on his own...

You just described the guy.

I'll forward the link on to him. Hopefully he won't have this problem won't happen again
    Xsara VTS (04)

Quote Originally Posted by addo
    Well, I know what'll happen if he complains on a certain forum... They'll punt the thread.
    Cheers, Adam.

The thing that everyone should be wary of is that information regarding any complaint shouldn't be posted on any open forum for several reasons; two sides to every story or the second side of the story being tailor made if the offender or one of his mates gets wind of a thread about it and "adjusts" his information accordingly.

These things are best left to the "Office of Fair Trading" as I usually do if I or any of my family have a problem.
    I was forced to do this with a telephone company a few months back and found the information they gave me invaluable. This enabled me to sort the mess out without actually involving them by being able to quote the appropriate sections of the "Act" that really sat them on their heels. (Multi National Company too I might ad.)
    Up here in Queensland, the OFT would have this guys guts for garters so quick he wouldn't know what hit him. 5 figure fines and licence losses aren't all that uncommon with the local guy we have here.
    I'd suggest he gets in touch with them ASAP, as if left too long, the trail might run cold particularly if it's his modus operandii' as all it takes is somebody else to lodge a decent claim, the OFT to hang a big fine and licence loss on him and he cashes in what he can lay his hands on, wipes his $6 company, grabs his white shoes, mirrored sunnies and half smoked pack of Winnie Blues and heads for the Gold Coast.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    The thing that everyone should be wary of is that information regarding any complaint shouldn't be posted on any open forum for several reasons; two sides to every story or the second side of the story being tailor made if the offender or one of his mates gets wind of a thread about it and "adjusts" his information accordingly.

These things are best left to the "Office of Fair Trading" as I usually do if I or any of my family have a problem.

Alan S
    Thanks for the advice Al!!! i just had a big ass winge on the Renault forum to which i am now thinking was perhaps not a good idea. Too upset at the time to consider the big picture

Thread Information