BIGGEST Frog of all
  • Register
  • Help

Default BIGGEST Frog of all

Latest photos of the AIRBUS A380
    and more
    http://membres.lycos.fr/airbus/A380%...6avril2005.htm

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BIGGEST Frog of all-380_taxi4.jpeg  

stupid question? is AIRBUS a french company? - Chris
    ... ptui!

Default Made in Toulouse

Yep
    Part French part German part USA part Aussie part...............
    All assembled in Toulouse

Cool... - Chris

ps, it looks kinda phat, and fat. Hope not so fat that it can't fly... which it obviously can, cause then it wouldn't be a plane, cause.......
    ... ptui!

something that big has no right to get off the ground....

Pretty amazing plane though, lotsa new tech (lotsa new ways of bonding composites and alloys together). Intergrated systems for controls of everything from in flight entertainment to engines all run using internet protocols which gave Airbus some trouble getting it certified to fly over security concerns (ie hacking into the planes computers)

Will give Boeing some serious competition for its now very old 747. But Boeing have fought back with a new plane (the Jetliner I think) that is mostly carbon composite/titanium that isnt as big, but goes a lot faster with a massive range
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Cool... - Chris

ps, it looks kinda phat, and fat. Hope not so fat that it can't fly... which it obviously can, cause then it wouldn't be a plane, cause.......
    Ah, well. That my friend remains to be seen...
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Ah, well. That my friend remains to be seen...
    "Well, it all flew OK when we tried it on the computer..."

wouldn't this be fun? Looks promising....

Boeing's 787 is smaller, true, but will go fast (cruise at over 900km/h), and far (15,000 km non-stop) and some of the technology used in its manufacturing is of Australian origin!
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

I am very jealous of my uncle - he got a go on the flight simlulator for an Airbus, back when Ansett went belly up. Got to fly an Airbus UNDER the West Gate Bridge!!

Reckons you could sit up in the seat, look out the window and see traffic on the roads below.

Is that an engine test they are doing in that last photo? looks kinda smokey - better not let the EPA catch them . Reminds me of a story I was told by a maintenance engineer for Gulf Air (he said NEVER fly with them...). One day they were doing a static engine test on newly rebuilt engines, and a guy wandered a bit close to the front - picked him up, sucked him in and spat a red mist out the back . They then had to pull the lmotor down again to clean it out....
    Last edited by Haakon; 12th April 2005 at 09:02 AM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Icon2

They look like great planes to me. Those pictures were great however. Some interesting Renault commercials in the background. Nice series 2 Trafic and Kangoos of variuos kinds....

That Air bus looks just like my 205 when i filled it with 8.5 ltrs of oil, Wasnt told the dip stick was from a different car..... Smoke'n

Default What speed do jumbo jets cruise at now?

Quote Originally Posted by whitegoshawk
    "Boeing's 787 is smaller, true, but will go fast (cruise at over 900km/h), and far (15,000 km non-stop) and some of the technology used in its manufacturing is of Australian origin!
    Gawd I hope the wiring & instruments in the Airbus is NOT made by PSA!!!

Its about time jets got faster - 747s have been flying at about the same cruising speed for 35 years now. What speed do jumbo jets presently cruise at? How much faster is 900kph than what 747s do now?
    Reckon it would be great to do a Syd/Mel - LA in about 8 hrs.
    So many projects - so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic

Its about time jets got faster - 747s have been flying at about the same cruising speed for 35 years now. What speed do jumbo jets presently cruise at? How much faster is 900kph than what 747s do now?
    I thought Airbus had a tie-in with DaimlerChrysler, so likely the autopilot won't be controlled by a COM2000

The cruising speed of the 787 isn't really much faster than the fastest of the current 747 series, but the range is about 10 to 15 percent better, and 20% better fuel economy - but do you think we will pay less fuel tax on our plane fares though?

Concorde was a good example of the compromises required to make a fast passenger plane in practice. It was so sad to see them stop flying; I seriously considered getting a ticket for the final flight on it.

Early in the development of the 777 Boeing were talking about near-supersonic cruising speeds, and by this stage with the technology available it is very likely they could have made it work. But since the world has been castrated by the scapel of economics (and said result kept in the jar beside the bed of the stock market) no longer do we see developments like Concorde, or even the 747 for that matter, which in its day was a development without precedent.
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

The A380, aka. King of the skies......or to a Boeing fan like me... King of all things ugly! It’s sad to see the 747 de-throned. After 35 years of service and 56 billion km travelled she is still in pretty good shape and poses the question will the A380 be around long enough to achieve that feet, Let alone better it? Yes the prototype 747-100 N7470 made is first flight February of 1969, but most people don’t realise that today’s 747-400 and 747-400ER are entirely new aircraft. They have come along way since the first 100 series. The most noticeable features are the stretched upper deck, new engines, winglets, digital avionics and a “glass cockpit.” The 400 series is far from slow and short legged, with a cruise speed of 910kph and a range of 13,480 km. As much as a380 supporters like to point out the 747’s short comings, 35 years after its first commercial flight, the 747 remains a success story by any measure.

As for the A380, Airbus is already telling their airline customers, that their dreams of an aircraft with sky-beds, showers, gyms and bars are going to be no more than that…dreams! Airlines will have to develop weight saving seats in order for them to operate over long distances efficiently, and defiantly no added wights like gyms and bars. But the concept sure sucked everyone in. Another issue that has many people in the aviation world scared, is that fact that the A380 holds over 900 people in all economy mode. Not only will boarding take hours, but what if one were to crash with 900 souls onboard?

Either way the 747 is far from dead. It will live on as a freighter for decades to come and with the advent of the 747X series the future of aviation will be far from ‘Ugly!’ Long live the Queen of the skies!
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Too right, yet I suggest its success is only clear with those 35 years of hindsight. It is a tribute to Boeing's foresight and skill that they not only thought of the 747 all those years ago, but actually made it a reality. By comparison the A380 is just scaling up of what exists already. Not to put it down - it is still a huge achievement, but not as innovative or daring as the 747 was.

Have to say that the 787 looks real nice though; better than the 747 and the "lets-do-it-before-lunch-and-go-home early" styling of the A380. Just wish they had made it more along the lines of the Sonic Cruiser concept, rather than just a 737/767 replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by James504
    the A380 holds over 900 people in all economy mode. Not only will boarding take hours, but what if one were to crash with 900 souls onboard?
    Don't the beancounters call that 'acceptable safety'?

whitegoshawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    I am very jealous of my uncle - he got a go on the flight simlulator for an Airbus, back when Ansett went belly up. Got to fly an Airbus UNDER the West Gate Bridge!!
    Loved the sims, flew the A320, B737, B767 and CRJ there. The CRJ was the newest sim they had, very impressive - a daylight sim. The B767 was the oldest and was only a nighttime sim, which really showed when you flew around Melbourne.

Ahh, it's a pity Ansett didn't make it. The simulator centre is still in operation.

Reckons you could sit up in the seat, look out the window and see traffic on the roads below.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Reminds me of a story I was told by a maintenance engineer for Gulf Air (he said NEVER fly with them...)
    Well, Gulf managed to crash an A320 into the sea, with plainly unprofessional actions from the crew. Naturally, they're not all like that.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I have to admit, the A380 is ugly, and this is coming from an Airbus fan. It reminds me of a fat kid blowing his cheeks up. Quite ugly, compared to say an A330 or A340-300 for example.

Imagine if they had COM2000s inside any Airbus. Eek!

The 747 is basically the fastest major airliner at the moment. Typical operating speeds are M0.85-0.86 (generally faster at the start of the flight).

To give you an idea, 737 Classics sit at about M0.74-0.76, A320s sit at M0.78-0.80, B767s sit at 0.78-0.82, A330/340s sit at 0.78-0.83, B777 fly at 0.83-0.84 and so forth.

Fly on an A340-300 vs a B747-400 on a long flight, eg. SIN-FRA and you'll need anything up to an extra hour on the Airbus. On takeoff, you'll never stay on the ground for so long too Flying out of JNB with a 343, you better pray you don't lose an engine on takeoff, it'd be very tight!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information