P Plates
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: P Plates

Default P Plates

Well guys I've spoken with four, yes four, state transport departments and you're not going to believe the results. Another reason why states should be abolished.

From a Queensland Provisional License holder perspective, which by the way have the highest degree of freedom a a P plater:
    - when travelling in NSW the Qld P plater drives as if they were in Qld, ie they don't display P plates and can travel at the same speeds they are allowed to in Qld. eg a Qld P plater can legalling overtake a NSW P plater in NSW.

- when travelling in Victoria the Qld P plater drives as if they were a Victoria P plater.

- when travelling in SA the Qld P plater drives as if they were an SA P plater.

For reference when any interstate P plater comes to Qld they drive as if they were a Qld P plater ie don't displate P plates and drive at Qld P plate speed limits, which are higher.

Everyone clear now.

The Victoria Transport Department had to ring me back after talking with their legal department as they had never had the question before.

Don't forget when travelling in other states one must obey the respective states road rules and not those of their home state.
    <SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","--
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

http://flickr.com/photos<wbr>/kermit/
    ",0]);D(["ce"]);D(["ms","4239"]);//--></SCRIPT>

Advertisement
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

That is amazing...

But isn't it also true that Queensland P-platers will soon have to display a P-plate?

Hey,

I have been pondering over this question for quite a while now. I am on my L's and have been unsure when interstate what rules do apply? In NSW you are restricted to a 80kph limit and it even says this on the L plate itself with a little 80 printed next to the L. In other states am i allowed to exceed this limit?

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    Hey,

I have been pondering over this question for quite a while now. I am on my L's and have been unsure when interstate what rules do apply? In NSW you are restricted to a 80kph limit and it even says this on the L plate itself with a little 80 printed next to the L. In other states am i allowed to exceed this limit?

Cyas Stalled
    I remember this when I went to DECA when I was 16. Apparently Vic P platers have to obey NSW laws (ie 80km limit) when in NSW. This guy seemed to think though that most NSW cops would ignore a P plater with Vic plates travelling over 80kms. strange
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    But isn't it also true that Queensland P-platers will soon have to display a P-plate?
    your kidding me, they dont have to have plates in qld???

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Shearer
    I remember this when I went to DECA when I was 16. Apparently Vic P platers have to obey NSW laws (ie 80km limit) when in NSW. This guy seemed to think though that most NSW cops would ignore a P plater with Vic plates travelling over 80kms. strange
    Just when you think government can't get any more **STUPID**. Now just who thought of the brain wave of letting 'P' platers only do 80km/h. If that isn't the most stupid, dangerous bloody ludicrous law I've ever seen. Do they really think an inexperianced driver sitting on 80km/h in a 110km/h zone is safe ....... That's a 30km/h speed differential And that's assuming no-one is speeding (yeah right !!). There must be a hell of a lot of accidents due to that stupid law

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hey,

I have driven on the freeeeeeeeeeway only once since i have tot my L's. I was merging on the the freeway doing my maximum 80kmh ah i found it to be really dangerous. I left a large gap between me and the next car and even then the poor guy comming up behind me had to readjust his speed. Another thing i found while doing 80kph in the 110 zone is that some people simply dont know that you are a learner until the last minute. They are doing 110 until they see me and my speed and "tailgate" around 0.005cms of the back of my car! Its neither fair on me or other road users as I find it dangerous as people tailgate and mergeing is very hard due to the speed discrepencies between me and the other road users. The other road users probably find me dangeous as i am travelling 30kmh less than the sign posted speed limit and I am interrupting the normal traffic flow.

Anyways thats my $0.02

Cyas STalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Originally posted by purrr-geot
    you're kidding me? They dont have to have plates in qld?
    Well, don't blame me... /\ he said it (kermit).

It amazed me too... but I frankly don't think it makes any difference except to give police an extra chance to harrass new drivers.

Originally posted by STALLED
    I have driven on the freeeeeeeeeeway only once since i have got my Ls. I was merging on the the freeway doing my maximum 80kmh ah i found it to be really dangerous. I left a large gap between me and the next car and even then the poor guy comming up behind me had to adjust his speed.

Another thing i found while doing 80kph in the 110 zone is that some people simply dont know that you are a learner until the last minute. They are doing 110 until they see me and my speed and "tailgate" around 0.005cms of the back of my car!
    I told you before, don't worry about the cars behind you... if you've come in with plenty room for them to adjust, then you've done your job. The rest is up to them!

.....Its neither fair on me or other road users as I find it dangerous as people tailgate and merging is very hard due to the speed discrepencies between me and the other road users. The other road users probably find me dangeous as i am travelling 30kmh less than the sign posted speed limit and I am interrupting the normal traffic flow.
    And there you have the reason provisional licensing isn't the perfect system...

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Just when you think government can't get any more **STUPID**. Now just who thought of the brain wave of letting 'P' platers only do 80km/h.
    They did away with that here (WA) used to be the case of 80kph for P platers. L-platers are not allowed on freeways, which isn't a big issues cause there is only 1 freeway BUT how are they supposed to learn about high speed mergers and 4 lane wide freeways ? ... And what do you think EVERY P-plater does on day one? You guessed it, go on the freeway ..

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

It's all right if they do that part of their learning when they've had a bit of experience, surely?

How long has WA had P-plate restrictions at 80kmh?

XTC

It's all right if they do that part of their learning when they've had a bit of experience, surely?
    NOPE
    How long has WA had P-plate restrictions at 80kmh?
    As I said, it was done away with quite a few years ago (not sure what year)... but was arround when I was on P's ... only time it was a pain was going out in the country.. I think they changed it when we went to 2 years P's from 1 year.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Sorry... I missed that but about 'used to be'...

Now what do you see wrong with leaving freeway merging till they've got some practical driving experience?

XTC

Now what do you see wrong with leaving freeway merging till they've got some practical driving experience?
    I never said it was right or wrong ... You asked "It's all right if they do that part of their learning when they've had a bit of experience, surely?" ... not in the eyes of the Traffic Authority here, wasn't answering what I think. There is NO provsion for L-Platers on the Freeway, period (even if they are just about to go for their licence ) .. stange isn't it. National road laws are basically here, national standards in licencing seems to have a way to go.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

imposing speed limits on p plate drivers is ludicrous, and dangerous. As stated by other people here, it creates dangerous situations on the road. How often have you been stuck behind an elederly driver on the road not doing the speed limit, and seen not only the frustration it causes to other drivers, but the dangerous nature of the situation.

It just proves that the fat cats in state government in charge of roads and transport have no idea on what is actually a safe speed on our roads.

end of rant,

Orestes out
    Last edited by orestes; 6th April 2005 at 08:52 PM.

It actually proves something else...

That you have to learn to be patient on the road... and that on the open road a prima facie limit would allow those in a hurry to be patient... knowing that they can catch up if they get behind schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Just when you think government can't get any more **STUPID**. Now just who thought of the brain wave of letting 'P' platers only do 80km/h.
    Just when? Let me see, when I was a P plater 17 years ago, this was the case, and it still is. There's nothing new about it.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Sorry... I missed that but about 'used to be'...

True. There's plenty of people with years of experience driving on freeways that clearly demonstrate no ability to merge on to one.

These people may even whinge that P platers doing 80 are dangerous on a freeway, yet will happily crawl onto a freeway at 60 or 70 and only then accelerate to freeway speed.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Well guys I've spoken with four, yes four, state transport departments and you're not going to believe the results. Another reason why states should be abolished.

From a Queensland Provisional License holder perspective, which by the way have the highest degree of freedom a a P plater:
    - when travelling in NSW the Qld P plater drives as if they were in Qld, ie they don't display P plates and can travel at the same speeds they are allowed to in Qld. eg a Qld P plater can legalling overtake a NSW P plater in NSW.

- when travelling in Victoria the Qld P plater drives as if they were a Victoria P plater.

- when travelling in SA the Qld P plater drives as if they were an SA P plater.

For reference when any interstate P plater comes to Qld they drive as if they were a Qld P plater ie don't displate P plates and drive at Qld P plate speed limits, which are higher.

Everyone clear now.

The Victoria Transport Department had to ring me back after talking with their legal department as they had never had the question before.

Don't forget when travelling in other states one must obey the respective states road rules and not those of their home state.
    <SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","--
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

http://flickr.com/photos<wbr>/kermit/
    ",0]);D(["ce"]);D(["ms","4239"]);//--></SCRIPT>
    Didnt know that one!

Ive got a NSW licence, and now living in QLD, so that makes a huge difference to me!
    As soon as im outa nsw the greens are off!!!

yay can finally legally go 110 somewhere ....HOORAY for QLD!
    1996 White 405 SRi mint

Originally posted by SLC206
    Just when? Let me see, when I was a P plater 17 years ago, this was the case, and it still is. There's nothing new about it.
    Indeed there's not... there's been a speed limit on P-platers in NSW since they were first introduced, and that would be close enough to 40 years ago. Maybe 39 and a few months.

The brains trust behind it would have included Police Commissioner Norman Allan, I think. I don't remember who the Minister for Transport was then... he was about to lose his job anyway, but the P-plates and the speed limits stayed.

Good money spinners, of course...

Originally posted by 405dude
    .....Ive got a NSW licence, and now living in QLD, so that makes a huge difference to me!
    As soon as im outa nsw the greens are off!!!

yay can finally legally go 110 somewhere ....HOORAY for QLD!
    Only on a couple of short stretches of freeway... and some remote roads out west...

You have seven days to kick the NSW licence and get a Queensland one if you've moved across the border.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 6th April 2005 at 11:50 PM.

That is amazing...

Nope! There is currently a 3 year trial with learners having to display L-plates, but as Premier Beatie was quoted as saying in last week's Sunday Mail there is at present no intention of bringing in mandatory P-Plates. That may be reviewed depending on the outcome of the L-Plate trial.

I don't think the plates are a good idea. They leave the driver open to victimisation by other road users (specifically young guys who have just got off their plates) & police who tend to target younger, more inexperienced drivers.

Ah yes, it's coming back to me now... sorry for the misinformation...

Absolutely agree with the problems you mention. Idiots who're just looking for someone to pick on will target P-platers for sure. But I wonder what Beattie's reasons are?

But I wonder what Beattie's reasons are?
    His sons are against it? LOL

The NSW limit for P platers is 90km/h now (not 80), and 100 when you get the 2nd year of Ps (green ones). L platers still 80km/h.

And Ray, I agree that P plates are partly just an excuse for police to victimise younger drivers.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information