Dont hate me cos I'm German...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Dont hate me cos I'm German...

Hi all. My name is Steve, and I own an 85 Mk2 Golf GTI. I was prompted to finally join this forum after a meeting with a guy at Coles Jamison in Canberra who owns a sweet 91 205 GTI. We chatted for a bit (sorry, bud, appalling memory. Cheers to you and your wife...) and compared rides.
    My Mk2 is putting out somewhere around 135 bhp, and I have taken it out to Wakefield to put in a 1:18 with appalling driving skills and crappy street tyres. I would love to go out with some froggies sometime once I have bought D01J's...
    In the meantime, I wanted to see if the Canberra guys would maybe be interested in coming along for a drive out to the Brindies with the Vortexers and Mini2-ers occasionally. There are a few different guys who go out on drives, with cars ranging from Mk4 GTI's, Mk3 VR6's, Mk2 GTI's, Mk1's, BMW e30 318is, Mini Cooper S, R32's (Golfs), and so forth. We have even had a 355 challenge and a 996 911T on runs. Love to have you on board.

Advertisement

eidted to say that the guy with the 205 is a member here.
    Last edited by mrgolf; 1st April 2005 at 02:56 PM.

My baby at the VW Nationals last weekend. You ACT-ers may recognise it from the guy showing respect to your car on the street. Especially if you have a 205 GTI or a 306GTI6....

Welcome Mr golf, 1:18 @ wakefield is repectable on on crappy tyres. Best time my 306 ever got there was a 1:17 flat, backed up by x2 low 1:17's. All with an AIM digital timer. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Welcome to the forum, very nice clean looking car!
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Why would we hate you Say nice looking car ..... Is it a Lada ??? I haven't seen one of them for years

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Why would we hate you Say nice looking car ..... Is it a Lada ??? I haven't seen one of them for years

seeya,
    Shane L.

Oh, I see you've met Shane then!!

Welcome,

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

mr_golf, I have a Q?, did Aus get the 2door Mk2, or yours an import of some description? I was under the impression that VW only brought the 4door GTi to Aus? Whats the down lo. - Chris
    ... ptui!

I was thinking that too, then the penny dropped that it is a 1985 car. The 4 door 8 valve GTi Mk 2's were sold here in 1990/91. So it would more likely be a private import.

Is it a 16V though?

It was a private import. You are right. 16V's didnt come out til 86, so you are also correct in assuming it is an 8V. It is also not a relative of the Australian spec ones from the early 90's. They only had 90bhp, where the european ones had 112 from the factory. The Euro's also had lighter smaller bumpers. Cheers for the welcome. Haha, Shane, nice one. Water off a wolfs back, my friend...
    I just got some 2nd hand 14" semis, so another trip to Wakie is on the cards. Will let you know.

While you have every right to be welcomed here, and it's great to see that you certainly have been, are you aware that there is a European Car Club of Australia (which until recently was the German Car Club of Victoria)? You'll find their forums at http://forums.eurocca.net/index.php?styleid=1 or the main site at http://www.eurocca.net/

They cater for all europeans, though their main membership consists of the German marques.

IMHO, this one and that one are the best forums on the web.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

As I mentioned in my first post, my reasons for getting on this forum are so that I can link up with other local European car fans, and go for drive and track days. I am also quite interested in the French perspective on the modern sports car comings and goings, as well as learn a little more about the hot hatches that rival the Golf GTI over the era (last ten years or so, you guys have had it way too easy....).
    I am a member of VWVortex (Australian regional forum is tops), tunedeuro, aussieveedubbers, ozaudi, clubvag, clubgti and mini2 forums, so I am reluctant to join too many more. Cheers for the heads up. I will check it out.

Hey Shane. Welcome, and don't stress - some of us drive dubs daily to work and then drive 205s afterwards for fun. If I can ever get my pug on the road that is!
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

Welcome to the forum mrgolf....

they are damn nice cars.....I ve had about 5 golfs in the past (yes even a diesel)...Mind you, mine were late 70ees jobs and a a couple early 80ees.....I loved the bloody things as they were literally indestructable (mechanically)...but lately the rust is starting to get the better of the seventies models.....I preffered the earlier models as they were lighter and so so easy to work on....

BUT...... You ve gotta do your self a favour......Come to the dark side....
    Get yourself a pug 205gti or a 306s16 and you ll never look back...This is coming from somebody who loves golfs.....really they don t come close to the s16 or the mighty 205.....Sure a 32 is awsome but value for money you just can not go past the two pugs (superb oem handling and performance...)

Again, welcome to the forum....you ve got a nice ride there...I d never say no to a golf like that...

cheers

dino

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

they also had a red line around the grille as well

i remember reading about them and seeing them in europe when i was there

pity we didn't get the 16V untill later as they were one of the cars that the mad poms would stack up against a 205 GTi over there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

The pic doesnt show it too well, but mine does have the red pinstriping. I am still umming and ahhing about it on the upcoming MkV GTI...

I will have to find a 306GTI6 to take for a spin. I have driven a 306 late 2.0, and found it ok, but didnt feel as solid as the Golf GTI. Probably needed better suspension and a hotter engine. Everytime I see a 205 or 306 GTI on the road, I try to catch up for a perving session.

A friend of mine got given a Fuego to drive, and he got me to do some work on it.... I prefer working on the Mk2..... Damn, those spark plugs were irrationally placed....

1000+ Posts

Just don't mention the war...

Howdy Steve,

Just thought I'd steer you towards a US magazine called European Car if you haven't already seen it. It's packed with your model of VW as well as other Euros - however, they really do favour the ol' vee dubs like Golfs and Jettas. It's a very hands on DIY sort of mag, too, with good tech info and how-to articles.

Must admit, the MkII GTI is a nice vehicle.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by mrgolf
    In the meantime, I wanted to see if the Canberra guys would maybe be interested in coming along for a drive out to the Brindies

Love to go for drives in the Brindies, some days I even put the Mickey Thompson Tyres on. It is not so much the twisty bits as the rocky, hilly dusty ones I like.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

hi mrgolf,

welcome to AF. and well nice looking ride you have there.

listen just got a Q... in regards to you vw enthusiasts, which model/models do you enthusiasts revere (specifically veedubs)? and why?

i'd be interested to know

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Split twin-cab would be nice. But I love my pimped out '71 standard bug...

Oops you meant performance dubs didn't you
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

Cheers for the continuing welcome guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    listen just got a Q... in regards to you vw enthusiasts, which model/models do you enthusiasts revere (specifically veedubs)? and why?

i'd be interested to know

Well, it depends on whether you are into performance or not.... There are the old classic enthusiasts, who generally dislike any car with a radiator . Then there are the enthusiasts who dont care. I personally like type 1 and type 3 Kamann Ghias, and notchback type 3's for classic looks and retro chic. For performance, I looove the Mk1's and 2's. Most performance oriented VW enthusiasts like the early GTI's, the VR's, and the Mk4 and 5 GTIs. The Bora V64mo gets a look, and the r32 is obvious as well. As for reasons: reliability, build quality, sense of being part of the driving experience, with the Mk1s and 2's a sense of nostalgia and a sense of respect for where all hot hatches came from.... I guess that covers it. Most people only know about the new stuff cos we never got any of the genuine 1's or 2's. Thats why I school every VR and Mk4 GTI driver I see, just to introduce them to power to weight and agility....
    Does that answer the question? :thumbsup:

...oh, yeah... Spotted a dark blue 205 GTI today at Belconnen Mall lower level car park. If you are reading this, hey. Nice car... Cheers for waving...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Cheers for the continuing welcome guys.

Well, it depends on whether you are into performance or not.... There are the old classic enthusiasts, who generally dislike any car with a radiator .
    I can understand that ... After all, any Citroen designed 1970 that doesn't have hydraulic suspension is just a [email protected] poogoe with nothing to really entice an enthusiest (that'll stir up some responses ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi all. My name is Steve, and I own an 85 Mk2 Golf GTI
    That's what you say to everyone steve..I've been trolling here for a while after looking for stuff on imported R5GTT's in oz. Ever since the 5 Gordini turbo I was set to buy as my first car at 17 (what a first car to have though!) died I've hankered after a french hatch with a boost guage

Mum had a 1.1L 5 from new that the gearbox went on after she left it in third gear at 80mph while distracted telling me there was a good bit coming up in hitch hikers guide to the galaxy (cassette version)...haha

Anyway like steve I have a worked 1.8 8v gti and was getting round to organising an Adelaide euro hatch GTG with an S3 and others. Suprised I haven't bumped into any 205 owners at Intervolks euro parts as I spend an expensive amount of time there of late...

Haha Robin. You turn up everywhere... We are like the froum whores.... What a classic. This must be about 6 or so forums we are both on.
    I saw an awesome R5 on The trail of the Pink Panther the other day. Joanna Lumley was driving it!!!

Cal

That is one nice looking GTi. Always been a fan. Reckon those BBS rims are the best choice for one too.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information