182 Gets The Nod
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 182 Gets The Nod

Just received Wheels magazine through the post. They have a 3 car comparo between Clio 182/Mini Cooper S Chilli/Honda Integra S. Why didn't they include the GTI 180 I thought. On the last page in small type they start off by saying " A direct alternative to the Renaultsport Clio 182 is Peugeot's 130KW 206 GTI 180. In part, they also say in regard to the GTI 180 the following:
    1. Fabulous winged race seats.
    2. Engine sounds harsh in upper reaches.
    3. It's handling isn't as adjustable.
    4. Steering relatively heavy.
    5. Driving position an acquired taste.
    6. What the Pug excels at is looking cool,sexy styling,great wheels & colourful cabin.
    Must say I was a little surprised, as, having driven both, they are great steers and their summary seemed a little harsh.

Advertisement

they are great steers and their summary seemed a little harsh.
    These points are reported in just about every test of the 206 GTI 180 both here and in Europe.

But howd the clio go compared to the other 2 cars?
    I love those Clio Sports and would probably take one over a Gti180 just cause they are a pretty much the only hot hatch that compares to a 205GTi
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Me thinks it may be time to take shelter!

1000+ Posts

For christ's sake, do a search - this has been trolled over time and again.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Me thinks it may be time to take shelter!
    Run for the hills! There's trouble a'brewin'.

Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

XTC

Wonder why Wheels would leave such a direct competitor out of the challenge ??? Seems very short sighted.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

"Wheels" in recent times have been very critical of modern Peugeots. I am not surprised they left the 206 180 out of the test. They seem to think the last good Peugeot was the the 404 ! This coming from a magazine that gave a big, thirsty truck as "Car of the Year".
    1999 Peugeot 306 Gti6 - fast, comfortable, sublime handling.

Previous :-
    206 XT ,405 SRi, 505 GTi, 505 GR, Citroen GS

Quote Originally Posted by diablo6
    "Wheels" in recent times have been very critical of modern Peugeots. I am not surprised they left the 206 180 out of the test. They seem to think the last good Peugeot was the the 404 ! This coming from a magazine that gave a big, thirsty truck as "Car of the Year".
    I think they're generally pretty harsh but fair on Peugeots. They're not burdened with the rose coloured glasses that we are.

Though in every review, even if they reviewed a Peugeot pepper grinder, they'd insist on putting in "Poor ergonomics. Doesn't handle as well as the iconic 205Gti".
    Care factor = -273.15șC

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Wonder why Wheels would leave such a direct competitor out of the challenge ??? Seems very short sighted.
    - xTc -
    Cause they're complete idiots... it of course belongs in the test & should be right next to the Clio...

call me crazy but.....

Quote Originally Posted by everyone
    chris, your crazy
    thanks very much, but you dont think that they may have left the pug out because the RSC and the GTi are so similar that they didnt see a point in bringing them both - that sounds strange but what i mean is; to the average reader, the Clio and the 206 are just "that French hatch", and thats the only angle they needed for this comparison.

The New Honda Sport Coupe VS. Iconic New Quick MINI VS. one of those fast barina looking things from France.

Why bring both of them? - see my point?

As they say the GTi is a "direct alternative" as if there is no difference - and really theres not a great deal. Well obviously there are differences, very significant ones to us, the Frog enthusiasts, but there is a bigger difference between the Clio and the Type S Honda, persay.

Just a theory. Flames away.
    '87 Camry 2.0ltr injected---------5min 11 sec
    '85 Charade turbo 700cc----------5min 06 sec RESPECT
    '99 GX Impreza 2.0ltr-------------5min 02 sec
    '99 WRX w/ hi-flo exhaust------4min 46 sec
    Byrnesy's 172---------------------- 4min 25 sec

Quote Originally Posted by LookingforMi16
    I think they're generally pretty harsh but fair on Peugeots. They're not burdened with the rose coloured glasses that we are.

Though in every review, even if they reviewed a Peugeot pepper grinder, they'd insist on putting in "Poor ergonomics. Doesn't handle as well as the iconic 205Gti".
    I never have full understood what "Wheels" meant by "poor ergonomics".
    I have owned a 405 , 206 and now the 306, and they all have everything placed in a logical fashion in the car, and close at hand. Surely, they are not complaining about the turn signal indicator being on the left of steering column? Their test drivers only drive the cars for a short period. Perhaps more time is needed driving a french car to fully appreciate it.
    1999 Peugeot 306 Gti6 - fast, comfortable, sublime handling.

Previous :-
    206 XT ,405 SRi, 505 GTi, 505 GR, Citroen GS

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbyrnes
    Why bring both of them? - see my point?

As they say the GTi is a "direct alternative" as if there is no difference - and really theres not a great deal. Well obviously there are differences, very significant ones to us, the Frog enthusiasts, but there is a bigger difference between the Clio and the Type S Honda, persay.

Just a theory. Flames away.
    I see your point but Peugeot must be spewin' they are not getting publicity, maybe they are not so willing to provide a test car to Wheels ???

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

I see your point but Peugeot must be spewin' they are
    not getting publicity, maybe they are not so willing to provide a test car
    to Wheels ???

- xTc -
    Wheels would have to be very, very shorted sighted to feel that way even
    though I can see bbb's point. Maybe Peugeot Australia aren't willing to
    supply a car , or maybe they are selling them to fast to supply one,
    I sure hope thats why!

Cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

I posted my annoyance with wheels magazine, see CAR mag forum.
    they are one sided, the review of the 407 was absolute bullshit it sounded as if they haddent even driven it.

i will scan and post, and then burn that properganda machine for GM and FORD!
    205GTi Peugeot 1988 Graphite Grey for sale $2500

I have owned a 405 , 206 and now the 306, and they all have everything placed in a logical fashion in the car, and close at hand. Surely, they are not complaining about the turn signal indicator being on the left of steering column? Their test drivers only drive the cars for a short period. Perhaps more time is needed driving a french car to fully appreciate it.
    Nope, not the signal indicator..(when it wan'ts to return to the off position).... the fact is in modernish pugs its takes a fair while and a hard while to adjust the seats, lumbars, mirrors, belt strap etc and still only end up in a car thats 80% there, but not quite as comfy as the equivalent Civic. Pedals too close and uneven height, not enough travel in the steering wheel height adjustment, a gearknob that rubs against your leg. No cup holders (in some cars), power window buttons that work the oposite to 99% of other Euro & Jap cars.
    We see this as character, but in truth it sucks and really is poor desing in the ergo's. We;- learn to appreciate the cars for their better qualities.... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!

I've really enjoyed my pugs but the 206 seating position is poor for many people including me and my better half - and we're totally different sizes and builds.
    This is often said in reviews. I'm always cynical about those type of comments and reckon usually they're being too fussy but it was right in this case. I was looking to buy a 206 and we went to the trouble of tracking one down as a hire car for a week when on holiday back in the UK as a long 'test drive', but we could never drive it for any length of time without backache. Always sitting hunched over.
    We've had no problem in 106, 205, 307, AX, Xantia so it isn't a French thing in general.
    unfrogged (for now)

I see your point but Peugeot must be spewin' they are not getting publicity, maybe they are not so willing to provide a test car to Wheels ???

- xTc -
    Im spewing that the two hot frogs are not being recognised as the two not to be messed with in their class. They are number one and two so why isnt everything in that class compared to them? The type S and Mini are fantasic, but really, these two frenchies are the best - although thats probably more opinion than fact.... but I dont expect much argument from around here!

But seriously though - they are.

i wish they would stop comparing 2 boring australian made cars, falcons and commodores, they are both the same!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    i wish they would stop comparing 2 boring australian made cars, falcons and commodores, they are both the same!!
    testify!!!!!!!

I own a stack of MOTOR mags yay high and god damn me if there isnt a commodore or falcon on every single cover. damn. They are the same, but that notwithstanding you could write one or two articles about them. But every month? god damn.....

I brought my subscription just to win the F1 clio!!!!

I'd say that the reason the 180 wasn't included was that there was no press car available at the time. Although, this is only a guess. The 180 was notably absent from the MOTOR PCOTY also. Maybe there isn't a 206 press car at all anymore...

I've got to say that MOTOR has a pretty good attitude towards the 180, whereas I've only ever noticed one article about the 180 in WHEELS. And this was when it was first released. So there's not enough to go off to really guage the general opinion from that camp.

i think it was Absent for the PCOTY because it has been out over a year now, wasn't it in last years one?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    i think it was Absent for the PCOTY because it has been out over a year now, wasn't it in last years one?
    Nope.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Wheels in general is pretty ordinary so I stick to Motor. That Ford Territory win for COTY is a joke.

The first time Motor drove the 180 they were pretty disappointed.

When they put it up against the MG ZR 160 they liked the MG better than the 180 (even though it is slower) but gave the default win to the 180 because the ZR 160 wasn't available.

Since BFYB last year they seem pretty impressed with the 180 due to its win over the Astra SRi turbo. Didn't do too bad over the 1/4 with 15.22s, matching the Astra. It's lap time was better than the Astra from memory.

Speaking of the MG ZR 160 I saw one today on the road in blue and it looked awesome! Definitely the best looking MG on sale here so far.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoGSR
    Speaking of the MG ZR 160 I saw one today on the road in blue and it looked awesome! Definitely the best looking MG on sale here so far.
    yea totally. Its the only MG since the BGT that I want to own. And i mean really own.

But in spite of that, when I sat in one at the brissy motor show and took it through the obligitory run through the gear box, the first thing that grabbed me was the distance between the steering wheel and the shift stick. I mean there was a huge gap - very long trip for the hand to come off the wheel and grab the stick- now you see, thats a serious ergonomic problem, as you shift gears very frequently.

What isn't such a serious ergonomic problem is the shape of the buttons on the climate control interface, or the hood release being on the left side of the car.... why criticise that? Frogs are ergonomic where it matters and built well where it matters.

The MG would be a cracker of a car, but the stick shift means the GTi would be not just better, but significantly better.

and thats all i have to say about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information