More on dodgy repairers.
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default More on dodgy repairers.

    Well, at least we don't have a monopoly on them.
    Take a look at the description of this Xantia in the UK.
    Sounds like he was shafted hell west and crooked. Compare the prices to some of the ones our local "skull & crossbones set" charge at times. Isn't it amazing how the worst 'tradesmen' usually charge the highest prices? As I often say, some of these clowns must have a death wish on either their businesses or their trade or both....bloody ridiculous.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...534799661&rd=1



    Alan S

    Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  2. #2
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Originally posted by Alan S
    .....Isn't it amazing how the worst 'tradesmen' usually charge the highest prices? As I often say, some of these clowns must have a death wish on either their businesses or their trade or both.....
    Absolutely true... no problem to them to quote a high price and poo-pooh the lower quote by saying they aren't allowing for things that he knows must be done! Not to mention that he only uses 'original' parts and everyone else buys in Taiwanese replicas...

  3. #3
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Absolutely true... no problem to them to quote a high price and poo-pooh the lower quote by saying they aren't allowing for things that he knows must be done! Not to mention that he only uses 'original' parts and everyone else buys in Taiwanese replicas...
    Groan ..... All it needs is a few bags of cement in the back to free up the rear brakes a bit ............ 600pounds ..... It'd be worth $20,000+ out here

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  4. #4
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Go on, bite the bullet then!

    And a diesel too, you might not have to worry about going over the speed limit...

  5. #5
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,291

    Default

    You have never driven a Citroen deisel have you Ray .... They started with the CX turbo deisel that set a heap of passenger car speed/economy records (0-100km/h in about 10seconds). The HDi's fitted to the modern PSA cars are every bit as quick as the smaller petrol engines but with twice the fuel economy.

    They certainly aren't an old 504 with an old tractor motor in it (were these as bad as the early Merc deisels ??).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  6. #6
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    No, I haven't, but that was a tongue in cheek remark, wasn't it?

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! 604 tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    371

    Default HDI's have poor economy

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    You have never driven a Citroen deisel have you Ray .... They started with the CX turbo deisel that set a heap of passenger car speed/economy records (0-100km/h in about 10seconds). The HDi's fitted to the modern PSA cars are every bit as quick as the smaller petrol engines but with twice the fuel economy.

    They certainly aren't an old 504 with an old tractor motor in it (were these as bad as the early Merc deisels ??).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane - dont fall into the 'rose coloured glasses' view/trap on PSA HDIs & fuel economy.
    They are certianly very quick cars - the C5 we had (in UK) cruised at surprisingly high speeds 180kph easily but the economy was ordinary. And in Australia where diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol - it just isnt worth it.

    PSA seem to recently have lost the plot with diesel economy too; nothing like the CX experience - same story to them losing the plot with reliability and quality. No wonder they will never sell cars again in USA where the 'lemon' laws would crucify them.
    So many projects - so little time.

  8. #8
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    Shane - dont fall into the 'rose coloured glasses' view/trap on PSA HDIs & fuel economy.
    They are certianly very quick cars - the C5 we had (in UK) cruised at surprisingly high speeds 180kph easily but the economy was ordinary. And in Australia where diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol - it just isnt worth it.

    PSA seem to recently have lost the plot with diesel economy too; nothing like the CX experience - same story to them losing the plot with reliability and quality. No wonder they will never sell cars again in USA where the 'lemon' laws would crucify them.
    My father has a australian road test where they used a 2litre HDi C5 wagon to tow a small poptop around with. they said it was underpowered (well it's only 2litres there used to 5litre bent 8's or big turbo deisels like the wank tanks have).

    At the end of the report the had to concede the fuel economy returned was bloody staggering. They were amazed 'cos they must have thrashed the absolute sh!t out of it (with a caravan on the back).

    If your economy was so poor, I'm betting the pump timing or something on the car you drove was out (from memoy they returned 9litres/100kms)

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •