Tell me something good
  • Register
  • Help
    MrV

Icon8 Tell me something good

ok i'm looking for reassurance after my experience today... i'm mostly worried about my car...

NOTE: The following story is 100% true, so feel free to laugh hysterically... only read it though if you enjoy hearing about others misfortune and stupid deeds.

MrV takes Peugeot to auto-electricians this morning re: a/c.. thats fine. MrV leaves for uni then realises that he needs the car for work so as he doesnt finish 6 pm. so he catches the train home at 2, picks the car up by 3 and drives into uni as he has missed the appropriate train...

MrV then drives into the city & along alice st looking for somewhere to park for approx 1 1/2 hrs. he notes the sign on alice st which declares the left-hand lane a clearway from 4-7 pm. by now its about 3:35 and he has an important tutorial at 4. so he drives past uni carpark, notes how long the queue is, and so drives on to find somewhere else to park. he drives along george st and notes that on the other side of the road are a few empty parks. success!

he does a block, comes back the other way and voila! parked, paid for a ticket and is out of the car (which was left with steering lock on, in gear & handbrake on) by 3:45.

gets to class on time, does his thing, walks back onto to george st circa 5:05 pm and sees, to his dismay, that the left-hand lane is flowing freely with traffic. "I've been towed," is virtually his first thought. hes right as he walks along the road he looks at the signs more closely, now that he's not in a rush, and finds its a clearway 4-7. crap!

he eventually gets hold of the location of impounded vehicle (albion) and makes it there by circa 6:35 pm, thus avoiding the after-hours open fee.

MrV hands over $180 in cash in return for being able to drive out of grimy holding yard, and the ordeal virtually ends at 6:45, with MrV happily (sort of) behind the wheel of favourite car again, only to find a $120 council infringement fine under the wiper as well

$300, not bad spending for not doing anything

Now, MrV is wondering throughout this whole process, and hopes that someone can ease his fears by telling me

HOW DID THEY GET MY CAR ONTO THE TRUCK WITH THE HANDBRAKE ON AND BEING IN GEAR???

Advertisement

Does that not lock up both the back AND front wheels???? Wouldn't that mean moving it would damage something or is there a trick?

The handbrake is still working perfectly, and the gearbox hasn't had any worries in the 40-odd kays i did afterwards.......

i hope they didn't break my car

Any ideas at ALL??????

MrV

PS Feel free to share any other equally as idiotic stories if you wish.....
    1998 D8 Blue Peugoet 406 Coupe
    1998 D8 Gold Peugeot 406 ST - Sold!
    1994 S2 Red Peugeot 405 Sri - Croaked

Only idea I have is to park in Roma St Parklands... I do it all the time without paying & haven't yet had a ticket!

Two ways to tow.
    Firstly, jack up back of car and put cradle axel under rear wheels, strap lift tow the front.

Or, drag car onto flat top, not pretty but works.

Consider yourself lucky, if you have not yet discovered the damage they have done!!!

Gentle, caring and considerate are not terms used to describe some tow truck drivers, (I am being careful, in case I get a mustang head in the bed or a new set of gearbox shoes).
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Ahh... you've got to be very careful reading those parking signs...

Fellow Frogger!

Don't they just break into the car and take it out of gear/take off the handbrake?

At least that's what happens in New Zealand anyway. You usually seem them popping the bonnets of automatic Subarus as well, taking out the fuse to make them FWD.

I presume in Australia it is illegal for towies to break into cars to mobilise them?

Well, we don't really know that didn't happen and they just locked it up again when it got to the impound yard, do we?

MrV

Icon8 who knows.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Well, we don't really know that didn't happen and they just locked it up again when it got to the impound yard, do we?
    i'm fairly sure that didnt happen, mainly because of the central locking. If anyone managed to pull up the drivers or passengers side lock (which is a feat in itself), it would activate all the central locking (4 doors, fuel cap & boot). From past experience, i know its possible to lock everything again with the central locking if you have a key, except the fuel cap. Without a key, you can only lock the 4 doors but not the boot or fuel cap.

Hence i dont think they broke into it as everything was locked when i got to it again, and well i dont think they're careful enough to try and put everything back in its place to cover their tracks.

only other thing i can think of is them putting all four wheels onto the wheelie-jack things (if you know what i mean) and rolling it up on the bed... sounds too delicate to be true....

one thing i did notice as i pulled into the driveway at home is that when i tried the foglights the passenger side one has stopped working altogether ... however i haven't directly checked this for a few days at least so i cant say if its from rough handling from the towies or something else

however sticking my head under the front & rear (not at the same time ) i cant see any damage... so maybe i'm OK...

by the way i did have half a mind to ask them how they got it there with it in gear & handbrake on but the guy was a total a-hole (to put it nicely) so i didnt bother....

They normally break in to the cars. I've seen it happen many time on Sydney's clearways... especially outside UNSW on Anzac Pde! I can't believe how many cars get towed there!

Hard lesson to learn about parking restrictions and often learnt when you're at uni...
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts

Well, I'll tell you something good. I resigned from my job today, after six long (part-time) years at Safeway!

Joy!

Sounds like an expensive day for you, makes me think I got lucky when I got a $50 parking fine in the city recently...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by MrV

HOW DID THEY GET MY CAR ONTO THE TRUCK WITH THE HANDBRAKE ON AND BEING IN GEAR???

Does that not lock up both the back AND front wheels???? Wouldn't that mean moving it would damage something or is there a trick?

The handbrake is still working perfectly, and the gearbox hasn't had any worries in the 40-odd kays i did afterwards.......

i hope they didn't break my car

Any ideas at ALL??????
    To enter your 405 with its central locking, all that is required is a small plastic wedge and a piece of wire.

The wedge to pull the rubber away from a front door glass (either driver or passenger) to make an entry point for the wire which is then used to operate the internal door lock lever. It would take a skilled NRMA operator about 2 minutes at most to open the car (that's what it took to open mine a few years ago). The hand brake can be released as well as the transmission moved to neutral, but the steering wheel would remain locked.

Of course whether this was the approach taken for your car is anyone's guess....
    D

Ok then, so how do they lock all the doors again? Use the wire again?

I personally don't think they break in, I think they use the trolley method, but I'm only guessing. I've witnessed a vehicle removal in the UK. It was a crane jobbie using a contraption all 4 wheels and then onto the back of a truck.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Default I did this

In a job I had we had to tow many vehicles per week for parking obstruction.

I cant vouch for newer cars with central locking as this was back in late 80's to Mid 90's and we had legislation permitting us to enter a vehicle for the purpose described.

We used a device called a skinny mini which actualy was faster to get into my wifes Ford Laser than using the key.

It would always in smaller towns be wise to check if the Local Authority has adopted legislation to allow this to happen. The Ranger in next town to us saw us doing it and copied. A while later he asked "Where is the legislation I am acting under?" I looked thru his laws and he had none!

So advised him he had better stop stealing cars and adopt the right legislation.

Some of the stranger things that happened.

Before I worked there the rangers towed a Kombi van from the near the pub. Turned out that the two kids sleeping in it did not awaken stil fast asleep when they and police turned up at depot.. Of course parents alittle disturbed to find vehicle and kids missing.

People would break in to the yard to get there car back but fail to realise the back axle was chained to the ground. Ouch!

In the time we did this we did not damage any vehicles however just today i was speaking to an ex inspector who used a forklift and dropped someones car breaking the wheel off!

So it depends on the care exercised and who is doing the work.

Graelin

Whenever I've seen a car towed (usually in the valley on a weekend), they've never broken, just jacked up one end of it on a trolley to get it on the right angle then hooked it up & hauled it onto the truck bed.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Ok then, so how do they lock all the doors again? Use the wire again?

I personally don't think they break in, I think they use the trolley method, but I'm only guessing. I've witnessed a vehicle removal in the UK. It was a crane jobbie using a contraption all 4 wheels and then onto the back of a truck.

That's easy ... leave a rear door open, lock the front doors from outside by leaning over the front seat(s), lock the rear door with it open .. then close the rear door.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    Well, I'll tell you something good. I resigned from my job today, after six long (part-time) years at Safeway!

Joy!

Sounds like an expensive day for you, makes me think I got lucky when I got a $50 parking fine in the city recently...
    man i got $320 worth of unpaid parking fines to date. When it comes to parking fines, melbourne is 'the place to be'. No one dishes out parking fine like the inspectors in melbourne.

Do you park with your hazard lights on?

Nothing like it to draw the parking cops! Always have a good laugh when I see a car in a loading zone with lights flashing...

Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    That's easy ... leave a rear door open, lock the front doors from outside by leaning over the front seat(s), lock the rear door with it open .. then close the rear door.
    Of course that sounds easy for you and I, but it sounds very complicated for these "types" to know the intricacies of every make and model. Much easier just to use a little trolley thing and then drag the whole car up onto a tilt trailer. Then it only takes 5 minutes and no training whatsoever.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    man i got $320 worth of unpaid parking fines to date. When it comes to parking fines, melbourne is 'the place to be'. No one dishes out parking fine like the inspectors in melbourne.
    Haha! So are you saying they are following you around, Asanka? Sounds like they know how to make a quick buck - see where you are parking

Of course that all depends on you paying them some money of course...
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

MrV

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Of course that sounds easy for you and I, but it sounds very complicated for these "types" to know the intricacies of every make and model. Much easier just to use a little trolley thing and then drag the whole car up onto a tilt trailer. Then it only takes 5 minutes and no training whatsoever.
    i'd have to agree with that... plus i didn't check to be 100% sure, but i'm fairly certain the boot and fuel cap were still locked as i heard the familar sound of them unlocking when i pressed my remote...

of course to end this debate i could always park there again and watch to see how they do it anyone want to shout me $300?

and nope i didnt park with my hazards on, i wasn't that ditsy

Originally posted by MrV
    .....nope i didnt park with my hazards on, i wasn't that ditsy
    That question was addressed to purrr-geot, not you...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    To enter your 405 with its central locking, all that is required is a small plastic wedge and a piece of wire.

The wedge to pull the rubber away from a front door glass (either driver or passenger) to make an entry point for the wire which is then used to operate the internal door lock lever. It would take a skilled NRMA operator about 2 minutes at most to open the car (that's what it took to open mine a few years ago). The hand brake can be released as well as the transmission moved to neutral, but the steering wheel would remain locked.

Of course whether this was the approach taken for your car is anyone's guess....
    D
    About less then 30 second to get the door open on a 405 without damaging it, About 2 minutes if you wanted to bypass the alarm & immobiliser ( If it isnt a U.K. spec alarm / immobiliser ) & then open the door.

Do the 405s down under have the same locking system as the U.K. spec ones? I know for a fact my 405 has shielded locks, Did they make it to Australia?
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Thread Information