Can i make a banner?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Can i make a banner?

don't get me wrong, love this orum as it provides a good gateway to alotta ppl and places etc.

and the banner suffices somewhat, but i think it needs my touch

i'll do one up thru next week and upload it, and ya's can decide if u wanna use it, i'll keep file size to a minimum for servers sake.

i'll encorporate the ideas in the current banner into the new one.

jus wanted to say what i wanted to do before doin it, so opinions could be expressed

Advertisement

Do a search, I believe this topic has been covered. - Chris
    ... ptui!

...and not so long ago.

let us not forget that all stickers, and t shirts would need to be updated

XTC

But don't let it stop you having a go though .. reward creativity. Post your work, but don the flame proof pants !!

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

This has been covered before; by all means have a go at a new banner. But be sure to cop a lot of criticism from the Aussiefrogs skeptics and pessimists who will be sure to find many things wrong with your proposal, and they will then say how that nothing needs to be changed with the current design.

I agree though, a freshen up is well overdue! so by all means whip something up... but i will be surprised if it goes beyond a concept.

sorry i didn't search, i tend not to do so at times

posted not so long ago? the last post was 23rd October last year, in my books thats long enough to not be able to see it without goin thru 50 pages (and yes i shoulda searched, o well) jus sayin, it's pretty a old thread

all i said was for a banner change, damn didn't even know u ppl used it for stickers and ish like that...and it's a forum banner....sure content is ever

i'll still do one, but take into the account u don't wanna change the color scheme (like i would anyway)

but yeah, jus thought i'd contribute in areas i'm good at, since i'm not that great with car advice, but it's w/e

Quote Originally Posted by ADZ-R10
    but yeah, jus thought i'd contribute in areas i'm good at, since i'm not that great with car advice, but it's w/e
    Go for it! Sometimes people on here just use the forum as a way to take others down. Especially over the last month or two, the tone has really begun to slide.

By the way, you're not the only one who doesn't do searches. I can't be bothered going through pages of pretentious, often abusive, crap.

i never saw the other thread, so i guess this is the first ive heard of the new banner idea.

i say, draw something up. whip out the crayons and see if we cant get a masterpiece. tho theres nothing really wrong with the current one, theres nothing that really excites me about it. no offence to who ever did the current one, but its sorta boring-ish.

id like to see what others can do. and even if there are new stickers and shirts to be made, think of the old ones as collectors items.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Go for it! Sometimes people on here just use the forum as a way to take others down. Especially over the last month or two, the tone has really begun to slide.
    How will a new "image" improve the attitude? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    How will a new "image" improve the attitude? :-)
    Sorry, that's not what I meant. Didn't express myself properly. I was referring to previous comments that anyone designing a new banner would have to cop a lot of flak & that even so, it's still worth doing because it doesn't seem to matter what's said/done on here recently there's always someone ready to have a go.

Is it flak... or is it merely that it's being explained that it's a lot of trouble to change what we've got and 'thanks, but no thanks'?

I can imagine that after someone has put a lot of time, thought and effort into doing something like this, expecting nothing in return, it's somewhat hurtful that this has to be the answer.

Sorry guys but the banner stays as it is for the reasons Ray covered.

By all means have a crack at some artwork, and thinking such it could be a good idea if we have a section dedicated to Aussiefrogs artwork and we could have a poll once we get a number of submissions.

I'll look into it.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Sorry guys but the banner stays as it is for the reasons Ray covered.

By all means have a crack at some artwork, and thinking such it could be a good idea if we have a section dedicated to Aussiefrogs artwork and we could have a poll once we get a number of submissions.

I'll look into it.
    we could have a photoshop forum like a lot of other forums i know of do ??

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    This has been covered before; by all means have a go at a new banner. But be sure to cop a lot of criticism from the Aussiefrogs skeptics and pessimists who will be sure to find many things wrong with your proposal, and they will then say how that nothing needs to be changed with the current design.

I agree though, a freshen up is well overdue! so by all means whip something up... but i will be surprised if it goes beyond a concept.
    This one needs clarifying; the current logo and banner was created early in the history of Aussiefrogs using some very logical criteria.
    Firstly, the colour scheme is that of the French Flag, something everyone usually associates with French cars due to it often being stuck on a dealers sticker or other things associated with all things French. It is readily recogniseable and to alter that in itself is counterproductive to automatic recognition of French articles.
    The colours are also symbolic of the marques; Blue; Peugeot, Red; Citroen, and Neutral; Renault...these are their corporate colours and again have been done purposely by the companies to make thir cars and things associated with them easier identified.

The design was professionally done by a member here which in itself looks professional and saved the forum another cost and was agreed to by a poll, so it wasn't just one or two people but everyone involved in the board at that time who contributed to making the final decision.
    This design was then picked up by another donor to aussiefrogs, Focus on Print, who then proceeded to use this design to print thouands of stickers using it, at no cost to Aussiefrogs. Added to that, we also have banners about 2 - 3 metres long that were also donated by the same company to be used at gatherings; the point being, that when you arrive at a venue where we are, you scan the horizon for the banner and it stands out from the rest; it's recogniseable above everything else which is the whole idea.
    When was the last time Citroen changed their logo? Been double Chevrons for a while now. Same applies to GMH, Ford, Chevrolet and 95% of car or corporate logos as well as their recogniseable colour schemes. It is what it is for several good reasons and these were as set down in the original criteria; this criteria I doubt would have changed so to say "and they will then say how that nothing needs to be changed with the current design." which is exactly why these things have been said. Things are there for a reason and the only need to change them is if the reason changes and it hasn't.
    Past experience has also shown that colours are a personal thing which is why we used the French flag as the basis also. We had one guy join up who immediately decided he din't like the green colour for aussiefrogs and immediately got the shits and left when asked what colour frogs he had where he lives.
    I agree with Brad that a sticky looking at options for the future may yield some good ideas for the future as well as possible extensions to what we already have but to do any slight let alone radical changes will be enormously costly and in terms of our identifiability possibly counter productive and to say "But be sure to cop a lot of criticism from the Aussiefrogs skeptics and pessimists who will be sure to find many things wrong with your proposal" to me just displays a total lack of understanding about why these things are as they are and the background to how they came to be that way as well as showing a very cynical attitude towards other members.
    As regards costs, it is also a case of who will pay for all these changes because we can't have one logo on teh boards and another on stickers etc and it's not fair to expect donors to keep donating at the whim of a couple of members; any volunteers? Or is it a case of "Hang the expense, give the cat another goldfish."

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 18th March 2005 at 11:35 AM.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Originally posted by orestes
    we could have a photoshop forum like a lot of other forums i know of do ??
    How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    How does that work?
    a photoshop forum basically is a new section, like the Peugeot or Froggy Chat section.

people post up artwork they have done, mainly using photoshop. gives others a chance to see something other AFers have created.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

I've created a sticky in Froggy Chat where people can post up their artwork. However, it's not there to discuss changes to the current logo as it won't be changing.

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Do a search, I believe this topic has been covered. - Chris

I liked asankas banner, you know the one he did in MS paint
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Originally posted by Brad
    I've created a sticky in Froggy Chat where people can post up their artwork. However, it's not there to discuss changes to the current logo as it won't be changing.
    More like a kind of art studio for members, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    More like a kind of art studio for members, right?
    Ed Zachary.

Alan i dont think i am being cynical at all, i do have a good understanding of what the logo means.

I am not going to bother getting into a discussion, as it wont be taken notice of in regards to giving aussie frogs a fresh look.

I think will just have to look at that riviting banner for a few more years yet!

Although i do think that simply stopming ones authority by saying "the banner wont be changed", in such a fresh thread isn't necesserarly the best attitude and method of listening to what the members feel and have to say. Afterall it is the members that keep this place alive, the admin just patrol it!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    Alan i dont think i am being cynical at all, i do have a good understanding of what the logo means.

I am not going to bother getting into a discussion, as it wont be taken notice of in regards to giving aussie frogs a fresh look.

I think will just have to look at that riviting banner for a few more years yet!

Although i do think that simply stopming ones authority by saying "the banner wont be changed", in such a fresh thread isn't necesserarly the best attitude and method of listening to what the members feel and have to say. Afterall it is the members that keep this place alive, the admin just patrol it!
    sigh .......

Julian, lets say we choose a new banner. Are you willing to pay out of your pocket to have new stickers made, new banners made, new Tshirts printed etc, etc, etc ....

I can understand wanting a change, but it would be a costly venture just to have a new graphic in the top corner of the screen when you come here.

Can you see the reasoning now ........ It's nothing to do with the site admins not wanting change 'cos there a bunch of old farts.

The existing banner is great, it simple to print, readable on a small sticker, has the right colours etc...... ie: it does exactly what we want it to.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Iím still failing to make a connection between a new logo and a successful forum.

The soul of the forum comes from the participants, not the logo or background. Regardless what the logo looks like, if the content is boring, backstabbing or just falls flat people will not be interested and will no longer participate, cool logo or not. AFís is an online forum presence only so has no real need to have a front end featuring a Flash intro with a contemporary logo (yes, I know a Flash intro hasnít been proposed!). It really doesnít matter what the logo is like, people either like what they see when they read the content and can participate in a forum that is secure and user friendly (which I reckon AFís is) or they donít and wonít. I canít see how a new logo would make someone stay.

A lot of people have invested and donated a lot of time, money and effort (me excluded) in setting up, continuing and promoting AFís. With many car clubs which people pay money to join, all you get is a magazine probably once a month with outdated press releases and boring articles, with AFís you basically get something new everyday, and for nix! The longer this full and frank discussion goes on over a piffling logo Iíd say the fewer people who will see this as being a vibrant and interesting forum. Interest will wane and the only Flash animation needed will be one of tumbleweed blowing across a derelict forumÖÖ

Another thing in closing, the logo itself is rarely seen because you generally have to scroll down to read the messagesÖ..

i see your point shayne

if it is money holding it all back, then so be it! maybe now is too soon for an update, although i dont think this current design would look snazzy in 10 years time, maybe later is a better time to change it!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information