SAAB claim.....???
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 SAAB claim.....???

Saw a Saab ad on the back page of Pathology Assn of Australia magazine from 'Summer 2004'. Saab are claiming to be the first car importer to import a full range of cars into Australia that all have a 5star NCAP crash rating. Despite what some may think, my heart still lies with Renault, and I would have thought that Renault would have claimed this honour first, and way before the summer of 2004.
    It said, cars and not commercials, so the Kangoo Trafic etc wouldn't be in the count either way.
    Simon, any ideas on this one???
    Chris....

Advertisement
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

full range...
    as in all models they bring in are 5 star?
    not all Renaults are 5 start, mite be what they mean

Yes that was their claim Nate...first car manufacturer to import a range of cars with all in the 5star sector..

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Yes, and what a diverse range SAAB has. One size segment isn't it?

It's when your smaller cars get 5 stars that you can crow about it.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    not all Renaults are 5 start, mite be what they mean
    That's correct, the Clio and the old Megane Scenic are only 4 star NCAP rating. The Renault Modus was the first 5 star supermini, a feat that the Peugeot 1007 has just matched.

Thing is with a SAAB though, just because it is safe doesn't exactly mean it would be enjoyable to drive.......

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    It's when your smaller cars get 5 stars that you can crow about it.
    Bear in mind this is only fixed barrier testing though - the forces in an impact of a smaller car in a fixed barrier test are somewhat different to those inflicted in a large car's crash test. Although it's still an achievement, certainly.

There is one danger with EuroNCAP that people start using star ratings to compare across categories of cars - I've heard numerous people talk about how their small cars are safer than larger cars, just because they have an extra star - that's not necessarily true. Weight is certainly very significant.

It's certainly good that it has improved the level of effort manufacturers put into safety - we'll see in a few years how the test results correlate with real life data.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

So you think it's time to send some SUVs out to show them what for?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Thing is with a SAAB though, just because it is safe doesn't exactly mean it would be enjoyable to drive.......
    whoah......Saab's aint too bad a drive, mine is similar to a R20 for comfort, little firmer and just a bit quicker
    (just hope your opinion is based on experience not hearsay)

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Bear in mind this is only fixed barrier testing though - the forces in an impact of a smaller car in a fixed barrier test are somewhat different to those inflicted in a large car's crash test. Although it's still an achievement, certainly.

There is one danger with EuroNCAP that people start using star ratings to compare across categories of cars - I've heard numerous people talk about how their small cars are safer than larger cars, just because they have an extra star - that's not necessarily true. Weight is certainly very significant.

It's certainly good that it has improved the level of effort manufacturers put into safety - we'll see in a few years how the test results correlate with real life data.
    Justin, please don't assume no-one knows what they're talking about here.

The point I was making was that it is more difficult to get high ratings for a diverse range of vehicle sizes that have unrelated structures and entirely different floorpans, than a 'range' such as SAAB's Australian offerings. That's all.

Oh, and just one point - I don't subscribe to SAAB bashing, so this isn't the reason for my view. I was making what I think is a valid point. I actually like the SAAB's, pre-GM (except possibly the 9000).

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Justin, please don't assume no-one knows what they're talking about here.
    Never did

Stuey, please don't read into things too deeply here Don't assume you are the sole intended audience of that message, because I certainly know that there have been people on AF who haven't realised how NCAP ratings should be compared.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information