Who's going to miss the bargain this time?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Who's going to miss the bargain this time?

A while back I posted about an engine crane that SuperCheap had on special for $249. I got one but after a bit of procrastinating, a few others decided they were as good a buy as I reckoned so headed off to the local branch only to find they'd missed the boat.
    I received a catalogue tonight that shows they are having a sale starting on the 10th of March and they have again got these cranes.
    Last time I understand they supplied only 2 to each store which is why they didn't last and I suspect that this time may be the same, so those who missed out last time, I'd suggest set the alarm for sparrowfart in the morning.

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Time to pull a swifty...

Get onto their website tonight and register for their 'club'... you get a 10% discount voucher to use with your next purchase!

10% off even on sale items???

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    10% off even on sale items???

....nah
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Might be 20%... look at their website...

And I got it on sale items when I did it, though the manager of the store looked at it and thought it shouldn't be, it plainly said you did.

Anyway just go and register, then read the discount voucher they e.mail you.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

damn it i don't have time tomorrow to go and get one

i could do with a good engine crane here and a stand

might have to see if i can do a local deal
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Time to pull a swifty...

Get onto their website tonight and register for their 'club'... you get a 10% discount voucher to use with your next purchase!
    Ray
    I have been to the site but there is no mention of registering for the club, only for the newsletter
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    Ray
    I have been to the site but there is no mention of registering for the club, only for the newsletter

There's usually one in the bottom left hand corner of the homepage, but it also stated "off normal selling price. This does not include items on sale" so the catalogue is about 8 pages big so if there's been a few trying to get discount on discount, they may just pull that offer until the sales are all over.

'rambo, last time I tried to get a crane locally, when S**C** didn't have one, I found one with a slightly less capacity on special for $395. They are a bloooody good bargain these.
    Thought of ringing your nearest branch and asking them to hang on to it for you until you get in? You often find regional branches of a lot of companies will do things City stores won't do mainly due to the fact that regionals are often a long way out and involved in things that can't wait so are often quite obliging in that way. This applies particularly if you are a reasonably regular customer.

Alan S

Yeah, looks like they've woken up to the lurk... they actually tried to stop me getting it on the items I got on special when I did it (December?) but I pointed to the wording. The guy shrugged and said, "someone's head's gonna roll over this..." and I got the discount.

but I pointed to the wording. The guy shrugged and said, "someone's head's gonna roll over this..." and I got the discount.

take what you can! Give nothing back!
    '87 Camry 2.0ltr injected---------5min 11 sec
    '85 Charade turbo 700cc----------5min 06 sec RESPECT
    '99 GX Impreza 2.0ltr-------------5min 02 sec
    '99 WRX w/ hi-flo exhaust------4min 46 sec
    Byrnesy's 172---------------------- 4min 25 sec

I'll say! I got there this morning right on opening time... asked for the engine crane... "None left!" No "Sorry sir..." or anything.

So I said, "But the special starts today?" to which the reply came, "We sold the two we had yesterday. If someone is prepared to pay the $350, we'll take it from them."

But he did mention he had a part of one. One of the three boxes they come in had arrived, the other two they were waiting on... I latched onto the idea, got them to hold that one for me.

1000+ Posts

i'd be careful the crane is of decent quality...

They recently started flogging Hydraulic jacks that didnt comply to Australian standards...

Good to get stuff cheap... but at what cost!
    Think of the kiddies

They are recalling the Superworks 2500kg hydraulic jack and giving full refund, dont think it applies to the 1350kg unit as I rang them and the chap said in a rather off-handish manner that it was only the 2500kg item
    On right hand bottom corner of webpage is a recall notice
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

That trolley jack recall has been on for months.
    If you read it closely you'll find it was for basically a technicality on its compliancing but in this day & age, if in doubt, recall before some precious little dear complains about the colour of the paint and wants to sue for thousands.
    As far as quality goes, my sons fiance's father has had one he bought off them a few years back and it's done massive amounts of work and I have actually picked up the front and rear of a dead CX and moved it across my garage. I examined the "$395 special" the other guy in town had and mine absolutely slayed it for build quality; as I say, it's a genuine top buy. I wouldn't own a FWD car and not own one as they can save hours on many even small jobs.
    I think if you were going to avoid buying from every company that have recalls, there wouldn't be too many Fords and Holdens sold.

Alan S

Originally posted by nate
    .....Good to get stuff cheap... but at what cost!
    Think of the kiddies
    Do you have a sign in your back window that says 'CAUTION - kids on board!'?

Why 'think of the kiddies'... what about others? What about yourself, the most likely person to be in the firing line?

The particular jack being recalled has been on sale since January 2001... hardly 'recently started selling...' and the notices says it 'may have a lower rated safe working load than stated on the jack.'

Who ever lifts two and a half tons with a jack? Okay, so you might if you have a truck. But would you, really?

A typical load on a jack might be more like 750kg... so the 1350kg one I got last time will do me.

1000+ Posts

Do you have a sign in your back window that says 'CAUTION - kids on board!'?

Why 'think of the kiddies'... what about others? What about yourself, the most likely person to be in the firing line?
    More of a general quote/Simpsons quote, no real substance behind it...

Simpsons? I don't know any Simpsons...

Simpsons? I don't know any Simpsons...
    No! I thought, uh, I thought I'd chauffeur myself this evening. Yes, that's what I thought. How difficult could it be? I'm sure the manual will indicate which lever is the velocitator and which the deceleratrix, hmm?
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    i'd be careful the crane is of decent quality...

They recently started flogging Hydraulic jacks that didnt comply to Australian standards...

Good to get stuff cheap... but at what cost!
    Think of the kiddies

Best to play it safe and not trust any hydraulic lifting device. Also check the welds periodically and make sure you have good bolts holding it all together. Also make sure your chain an shackles are rated for what you are lifting.

I have one of these cranes ( or similar ) and would never contemplate getting in the way of what I am lifting. The worst that can happen is you drop the motor on the ground or worse your car but that is the risk I take for being able to effortlessly remove engines from cars and move them around rhe workshop.

Best money I ever spent.

Jarrod

hare & forbes machinery house sell almost identical crane all year round for 279 bucks, the differance is they are individualy tested to 2tonne and they sell accessories like an engine tilter for 50 bucks, and they sell spare 8tonne hydraulic cylinders seperatly for 100 bucks if you want to build your own.

also theres the same crane with a mounted base so you can bolt it to your trailer/ute for 200 bucks.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 123abc
    hare & forbes machinery house sell almost identical crane all year round for 279 bucks, the differance is they are individualy tested to 2tonne and they sell accessories like an engine tilter for 50 bucks, and they sell spare 8tonne hydraulic cylinders seperatly for 100 bucks if you want to build your own.

also theres the same crane with a mounted base so you can bolt it to your trailer/ute for 200 bucks.
    Sounds good - do they have a website? Where are they located?

Kessels Road, Macgregor is the Brisbane branch. Windsor Road Northmead for Sydney... that's just near the Parramatta bypass.

Seen today, cnr Manton & South Rds. Hindmarsh, engine hoist $299. Specs?

ed ge

Default Engine Cranes

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    A while back I posted about an engine crane that SuperCheap had on special for $249. I got one but after a bit of procrastinating, a few others decided they were as good a buy as I reckoned so headed off to the local branch only to find they'd missed the boat.
    I received a catalogue tonight that shows they are having a sale starting on the 10th of March and they have again got these cranes.
    Last time I understand they supplied only 2 to each store which is why they didn't last and I suspect that this time may be the same, so those who missed out last time, I'd suggest set the alarm for sparrowfart in the morning.

Alan S

Hare & Forbes Machinery sell 1350 kg engine cranes for $260 as their standard price (or were 2 months ago) The unit they sell is fully foldable and meets Australian Standards.

Hare & Forbes are in all states (I think) and were called Herless Machinery in Victoria.

The also sell engine stands, motor bike lifters, chain blocks and the quality and prices are quite good.

Wow!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information