My Daughters new car
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default My Daughters new car

Recap- Three yrs ago my daughter Ferne was criticaly injured in head on accident lost her partner and she was not expected to live. She has and has defied medicos who said she would not leave an instution. She started uni this week and is now ready to get a car.

Well she lives 250km from Peugeot dealer so really it reduced this as an option and budget $6000 max.
    Nissan dealer we looked at imaculate low km Magne 4cyl. Signed up then dealer exercised an option and wanted $472-00 more or he would tear up the contract and put Fernes car back on floor right now. This was 4.50pm Wed evening!
    Ferne who has recovered from critical brain injuries was devistated and cried all night. Thanks a lot Nissan dealer.
    Saw another Magna in Paper next day well it was a year later and a V6 in perfect order. I inspected and signed up with out any hassles from a very friendly salesperson. He brought out inspection sheet and although front tyres only one third left on tread said I will put brand new tyres on the front (rear near new.) (Nissan dealers tyres nearly at limit refudes to budge as they were LEGAL). The one we bought has a three yr warranty other nil warranty.
    We went up to take delivery Ferne left country location on bus at 6.30 am today. On arrival salesperson made
    Ferne, my ex and self cup of tea car still being detailed, He said to us this cars heading to Bunbury today isnt it? Confirmed, so said to detailer take the car to servo and fill it right up!!!!
    The cracked headlight had been missed in getting car ready so Ferne told to take it to Obriens get is fixed and send bill to them direct for payment!
    Then salesman took Ferne to the car and spent over half an hour showing her all of the features and setting the radio to pick up her fav stations as she travelled down the State so as one faded she would pick same station up on another frquency.
    The service was exemplary done with a sence of humour and nothing too much trouble!

Advertisement

Now remember this is a $6000 car.

Now im not grizzling at my Peugeot dealer who has by and large done the right thing most of the time for me but.
    In last three yrs I have spent $57,000 on cars there plus intro my brother who spent $25,000 no trade in! None of us got a full tank of fuel!!
    Maybe this is what Should have bought a Honda was on about.

The dealer in this case was Honda North and if this is how they treat all customers no wonder we see lots of Hondas around!!
    We were treated like we had bought an NXS!

Realy we were and I cant speak highly enough of how he treated Ferne purchasing her first car and has made it a positive and memorable experience for us all.

Graelin

1000+ Posts

Graelin, nice to see a good result for Ferne.

When I bought my 405 I asked for a tank of fuel as part of the deal, mainly because it was so damn empty that I was worried that it'd barely make the servo, never mind home! Anyway, the dealer says, indignantly, "I'm not a bloody service station..". I WILL NOT go back. If Mi's in the condition of mine weren't so rare, I would have walked, no worries. Thinking back, I should've.

Honda North? That's in Osborne Park, right? I'll remember that in case I know of anyone wanting a Honda.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I wonder if both dealers get to sleep as readily each evening?

Glad to hear things are improving, graelin...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

that is great news and such service is very hard to find these days

my family and myself have bought 3 new cars plus 4 2nd hand cars from the same dealer over the years and have put others onto cars they had there over the years and in all that the only time any of use got any fuel out of them was myself when i bought a car and it was nearly empty and there was a servo next door

the then dealer said fill her up next door and tell them i sent you over

but that was the only time even with the amount of money we had spent there over the years
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

Default Stuey

Yes Honda North in Osborne Park
    Nearly next door to where I work and I traveled all over Perth looking for a good car!

Thanks for the nice comments guys

Graelin

I suppose you go to a Peugeot dealer to buy a Peugeot, ie they don't think they need to sweeten the deal because they are basically the sole dealer. You want a Peugeot, you have to buy from them.

With a more mainstream vehicle, ie a Honda, the dealer is competing with other Honda dealers and other manufacturers. So the quality individual dealer not only has to sell decent cars, they also have to sweeten the deal to make buying from them memorable so you go back to them next time after having a pleasant experience. In effect you buy the deal and not the car, a Magna being a fairly generic car which would end up being purchased based on the best price, quality and dealer experience.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Right Simon

He even said the same, we want you to come back in future.

Graelin
    Ps My brother is not going back to a Euro car when Citroen needs replaced and has been test driving Hondas. This is mainly due to his perception of how he has been treated.

I'm afraid it's an unfortunate fact of life that too many of our Froggy car dealers treat customers as a consumable rather than a long term association.
    When I was in the car game the guy I worked for came from a family who originally were T Model Ford dealers but although highly reputable needed some of the tight fisted mentality working out of him.
    We were one of the first to introduce a "handling charge" which originally came as a "suggestion" from the Toyota distributors. We extended it to include second hand cars too but I took it further and also included a tankful of petrol as part of it. If they didn't want to pay for the fees (about $20 from memory) we at least made sure they had enough to get home plus a bit, but we gave such good value, most insisted on paying it.
    It was the talking point of the Town and got us a pile of business. Amazing how long it took for some of the other tyre kickers to wake up and many just never did.
    Top marks to the dealer for showing there's still a few around with brains.
    He's never thought of taking a French franchise to compliment his Honda one by any chance?? Who knows, it might rub off

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Graelin, nice to see a good result for Ferne.

When I bought my 405 I asked for a tank of fuel as part of the deal, mainly because it was so damn empty that I was worried that it'd barely make the servo, never mind home! Anyway, the dealer says, indignantly, "I'm not a bloody service station..". I WILL NOT go back. If Mi's in the condition of mine weren't so rare, I would have walked, no worries. Thinking back, I should've.

Honda North? That's in Osborne Park, right? I'll remember that in case I know of anyone wanting a Honda.

Stuey
    When I bought my cruiser, I got the dealer to fill the tanks (both) what he didnt know was that the original 50l subtank had been replaced with a 170l tank. 265l in total
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

XTC

I only got a 1/2 tank ... you'd think for the extra $20 they'd fill it (and TELL you they did)

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

the way the various Citroen dealers around the country are acting it absolutely disgusting. One read of any of the Citroen forums would be enough to put anyone off EVER buying a new Citroen. I certainly wouldn't.

My parents bought a new Honda Jazz from the Honda dealers in Geelong. I went down with them to drive the Xantia home after they picked up the Jazz. We were all offered coffees. I wandered around and looked at the Alfas, all the Renaults (no doubt I couldn't taken the Renault sport out for a spin if I wanted to). We go to leave and we realise the Xantia is now uninsured as it's insurance has been transferred to the Jazz.

"No probs mate, grab the phone and arrange yourself some insurance". This is a car the car dealer has nothing to do with that I purchased from my parents.

I've NEVER heard anything positive on any forums yet about a Citroen/renault/poogoe dealer, yet we hear many stories of how great the local Jap dealer has been

Anyone see a pattern here And they wonder why it's so hard to sell french cars

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Norm Saville wasn't like that, I can tell you...

He'd treat you like a customer every day. Then again, he's been dead nigh on 25 years!

1000+ Posts

Hmm. We should arrange a mail out to all the French car dealers in the land with a few home truths about their attitude. There's only about twenty, isn't there?

I just can't understand why they're like that. Surely you'd feel better about yourself as an individual dealership employee doing the right thing by people? You don't have to go overboard; just a few courtesies and thirty bucks of petrol would turn these stories around, wouldn't they?

Bah!

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Yeah, I was thinking earlier when the comment was made about who the Honda dealer is competing with...

These people are competing in the same market! Even if they have a core of Euro car enthusiasts who will come to them, their only market expansion is if they take sales from the Japs and Aussie cars.

They're in the overall marketplace whether they like it or not. And there's no telling how much pressure a wife will put on her husband not to buy a car based on some feeling she's got about the dealer... tell me that isn't true!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I suppose you go to a Peugeot dealer to buy a Peugeot, ie they don't think they need to sweeten the deal because they are basically the sole dealer. You want a Peugeot, you have to buy from them.

but customer service should be a priority

the old fashioned dealers like the one i mentioned that made sure the car had a tank of fuel are gone. They have been replaced by young money hungry people

that dealer that my family have bought cars from and did support for quite a few years has lost a few of the older customers now
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the old fashioned dealers like the one i mentioned that made sure the car had a tank of fuel are gone. They have been replaced by young money hungry people
    You checked the margins on cars now, and the cost of running a dealership (takes along time to get back that $400,000 invetsed in a Peugeot Blue Box). Not surprised they are feeling the pinch.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Yeah, I was thinking earlier when the comment was made about who the Honda dealer is competing with...

These people are competing in the same market! Even if they have a core of Euro car enthusiasts who will come to them, their only market expansion is if they take sales from the Japs and Aussie cars.

They're in the overall marketplace whether they like it or not. And there's no telling how much pressure a wife will put on her husband not to buy a car based on some feeling she's got about the dealer... tell me that isn't true!
    Did I mention the same dealer was so good my grandfather and uncle also bought a new honda jazz from them. Not to mention my father recently purchased an AWD Verada from them ......

My mother wanted a C3 NOT a Jazz, after reading this forum about the dealers completely screwing C3 owners left right & center over any minor problem that may arise they are extremely pleased with there decision to by a Honda .... There are people that have driven "french" for the last 40+years...

ie: my fathers cars over the last 30years: renaults, VW combi (4 kids in our family), DSpecial, CX2200 wagon (fitting 6people in the car bit again), Renault 25, CX2500 GTi Turbo .............. Verada

My mother: Renault 10s, Renault 16ts, Citroen CX2400 pallas, magna( she bought it while dad was overseas) ... immediatly disposed of for a BX16 trs, Citroen Xantia ............... Now Honda Jazz

Now my cousin and I are the only people in the extended family that bother with french cars ... sad ... But this is the way it's gone.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    You checked the margins on cars now, and the cost of running a dealership (takes along time to get back that $400,000 invetsed in a Peugeot Blue Box). Not surprised they are feeling the pinch.

- xTc -
    Yeah, I knew that argument would come up. Unfortunately there is NO margin at all if you don't make a sale...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

- xTc -

so that means they can forget about customer service and treat people like their own personal income

put parts on cars that don't need parts just to get sales up in that department

attempt to do work but still get it wrong and have an upset customer that has to go elsewhere to get the work done the right way

froggy dealers aren't the only ones in this bracket as i have heard the stories from a few others but the froggy ones seem to have lost the plot

most of the pug dealers sell other makes of cars as well so do they carry on this lack of customer service for them, if so then people are going to go elsewhere
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

- xTc -
    .................and have you checked also at how much they charge for "routine services" that are part of the deal to get the long warranties.
    The profit margins would be I'd imagine, comparable % wise to when I was in the business and they also work in some brands on "Quotas" as well as incentives. They also either run a used car yard and pick up on the trades or wholesale and write back profits so the money goes straight in the bank.
    Most of these "$400,000 dealerships" are under some kind of finance agreement and in many cases it's an interest only type of loan which is repaid when the "$400,000 dealership" sells down the track for $600,000.
    Also they all get kick backs (whoops, sorry; commissions) from Insurance and finance companies to the tune usually of 10% of premium and that usually pays for the outstanding interest and then some.
    My last employer in the car business retired at the ripe old age of 34 so I can understand how hard a time a dealer has making ends meet.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

WA sure isn't exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to Peugeot dealers

There isn't really a Peugeot dealer in Melbourne that I'd truly consider impressive in customer service. Regans has a nice attitude, but are somewhat bereft of customer perks for a semi-premium marque and lack polish.

With a more mainstream vehicle, ie a Honda, the dealer is competing with other Honda dealers and other manufacturers.
    In general, I think the Japanese firms understand and treat their customers best. Some of them could be considered to be best practise, of course some aren't quite so great. It can't be a mere worldwide conspiracy that they often top customer satisfaction studies. I've read a few books on their customer focus, and certainly there are many marques that could learn a little from them.

I only got a 1/2 tank ... you'd think for the extra $20 they'd fill it (and TELL you they did)
    I think half a tank is pretty paltry when you've spent tens of thousands of dollars on a car. It's embarasssing.

Heck, you can pay over a thousand for dealer delivery!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    .................and have you checked also at how much they charge for "routine services" that are part of the deal to get the long warranties.
    With 20,000km intervals (that's what Pug reccommends) can't see a plethera of services to cash in on there ? ... not sure what a mechanic gets these days but at $70-80 per hour labour and they don't get charged out for more hours then they actaully work (although it happens) that's not a huge margin to cover everything else.
    The profit margins would be I'd imagine, comparable % wise to when I was in the business and they also work in some brands on "Quotas" as well as incentives.
    Well on some pug models it LESS then 5% ... (others its more), what sort we you looking at when in the business.
    Most of these "$400,000 dealerships" are under some kind of finance agreement and in many cases it's an interest only type of loan which is repaid when the "$400,000 dealership" sells down the track for $600,000.
    That was not for the whole dealership, that was for the "look and feel" showroom cost (which Sime Darby is now forcing on the Pug dealers .. or they lose their licence to sell Pug - which has happened recently). Still gotta sell a lot of cars to get that back. Plus seen the competetion for business loans lately .. WHAT competition? The ACCC will be investigating that one soon.
    My last employer in the car business retired at the ripe old age of 34 so I can understand how hard a time a dealer has making ends meet. Alan S
    Right product, right attitude, right market, right time ... otherwise if it was THAT good all dealers would be retiring before 40.

I'm not defending poor service, but budget concerns are weighing into the equation more then ever, esp when you're spending thousands on things like public liability insurance. I have friends who are a "one man show" paying $60,000+ in public liability insurance, and who pays for it really? The customer of course. Hate to see what big business has to pay.
    Last edited by XTC206; 6th March 2005 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Edited cause it's not just my opinion .. it's someone elses.

Now this is a .sig

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    WA sure isn't exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to Peugeot dealers
    Nor is SA ...

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

1000+ Posts

Plus seen the competetion for business loans lately .. WHAT competition? The ACCC will be investigating that one soon, IMHO.
    In your humble opinion? I heard that exact quote on the ABC news the other night!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    In your humble opinion? I heard that exact quote on the ABC news the other night!
    There was the same quote in the paper ... H=Honest not Humble.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information