2CV 4x4 for school run?
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 2CV 4x4 for school run?

Check out this site - there was a test of the owner's wife's one in Practical Classics. What a great conversion! Full 4wd with low range made from mostly stock parts, and bigger brakes from other Cits. Great stuff!

http://www.2cv4x4.com/

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

the mind bogles as to what land cruiser drivers would think if you took that car proper off roading

what an amazing piece of kit i want one. Have to put bigger wheels on it to fill up the guards, and make it look like a real car though
    Last edited by orestes; 5th March 2005 at 12:48 AM.

The guy involved with that is a mate of Jon Woods from the UK in fact I think Jon served his time under Louis from memory and if you want to see what happens if you take on a "real 4 X 4" I think in the downloads section there's a road test/comparison done by "Top Gear" a while back where it takes on a Discovery and absolutely belts the ears off it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    The guy involved with that is a mate of Jon Woods from the UK in fact I think Jon served his time under Louis from memory and if you want to see what happens if you take on a "real 4 X 4" I think in the downloads section there's a road test/comparison done by "Top Gear" a while back where it takes on a Discovery and absolutely belts the ears off it.

Alan S
    Not hard really, however try it on some real off road stuff. Oh by the way the disco driver did not look like they could drive ducks to water in a 4WD, any time it would like to come over here and have a play in my rock garden it is welcome, guess we could put it on the roof rack to get it home.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

I suppose that's not much of a criteria though Neil; most 4WD drivers couldn't drive ducks to water.
    Come across to Fraser Island sometime and you'll see what I mean.
    Another 10 backpackers in Hospital after yesterdays latest disaster.

Alan S

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    what an amazing piece of kit i want one. Have to put bigger wheels on it to fill up the guards, and make it look like a real car though
    O, I didn't have a full gander, but the wife's car in the magazine had proper 4wd style wheels. Not huge, but big enough while still narrower than those oversized ones all the Big Knobs have. With such a light car with low power you wouldn't want to go too big!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Adrian Chapman has one of them. Apparantly they do absolutely kill the big 4wds (eg: land drover/wank tanks/land cruisers) due to how light they are.

I'm sure adrian said his had locking diffs and low range, so gearing and wheelspin isn't such a problem.

I think even Niel would be bloody stunned if one of these turned up at a 4wd day

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hey,

That looks absloutely awesome!

I remember reading somewhere that there was a 4x4 variant of the 2cv which had 2 motors, there wasnt much info on it but could someone tell me a bit more bout it!

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

I suppose that's not much of a criteria though Neil; most 4WD drivers couldn't drive ducks to water.
    Come across to Fraser Island sometime and you'll see what I mean.
    Another 10 backpackers in Hospital after yesterdays latest disaster.

Alan S
    Most of the people driving them on FI are tourists who hire them from the local rustbucket company. They are told not to let down tyres, and are certainly not trained or experienced 4wdrivers. I just spent the day training the latest batch of new members to our club. Trying to avoid these problems.

Driving a 4WD does not make you a 4WDriver, much as driving around a race track does not make you a race driver.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Most of the people driving them on FI are tourists who hire them from the local rustbucket company. They are told not to let down tyres, and are certainly not trained or experienced 4wdrivers. I just spent the day training the latest batch of new members to our club. Trying to avoid these problems.

Driving a 4WD does not make you a 4WDriver, much as driving around a race track does not make you a race driver.
    Or, as Alan and my Dad (another HB retiree) can attest, the 4WD hirers only hear "let some air out of the tyres before you drive on the island". They then merrily drive off around the corner, let the tyres down to 10psi (if that) then careen madly at autobahn speeds out along the road to the ferry. If they make it that far they are lucky. Usually they have to negotiate town as well.

I reckon they should paint all the hiring 4WDs flouro orange so that the locals can see them and apply one word AVOID!

A 4WD 2CV on FI would be a blast I reckon. The looks on faces of the weekend warriors (no offence meant cruiser man) would be well worth it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon2

That site is great the guys there are nuts. Hope they yprated the original 2cv seats.
    AFAIK the original seats were very slimline.....

I should send you a copy of a video I had (if I could find it) of the local 4WD club on an outing having a little play with themselves when the entire mob managed to get stuck on a public road they'd found to play on and destroyed it beyond repair and were stranded there until about 10 the next morning, but that's besides the point, around here we have a combination of trophy wives, bimbos, menapausal matrons and posers with gold bracelets and mirror backed shades competing for road space with a bunch of about 200 geriatrics all on mobility scooters for road space. The backwhackers are only in there as a bonus.
    At least with a 2CV 4WD, you'd be in with a chance of seeing over or around it and perhaps they wouldn't all feel obloged to drive 300mm from your rear bumper or at 20KPH over the speed limit.

Alan S

around here we have a combination of trophy wives, bimbos, menapausal matrons and posers with gold bracelets and mirror backed shades competing for road space with a bunch of about 200 geriatrics all on mobility scooters for road space. The backwhackers are only in there as a bonus.
    At least with a 2CV 4WD, you'd be in with a chance of seeing over or around it and perhaps they wouldn't all feel obloged to drive 300mm from your rear bumper or at 20KPH over the speed limit.

Alan S
    Nothing like a generalization there Al.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Nothing like a generalization there Al.
    As Craig is aware, you don't have to be here long to see it's fact though.

Alan S

UFO

As Craig is aware, you don't have to be here long to see it's fact though.

Alan S
    As much as it can (sometimes) hurt to say it. Alan is right. It's like they get to Maryborough and leave their brains behind - and not just the 4WD brigade. Most of the people that go to HB and especially those on holidays.

"must get to island, must get to island..... ommmmmmmm, ommmmmmmm........"
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Having seen some of Neil's videos of their antics in the 'rock garden', I doubt that a 2CV would have any option other than to go home on their roof racks!

A Mehari... even a twin engined Mehari would have trouble, I think. Much and all as I admire that model.

And Alan, do you always check them out for bracelets? Love to see that video!

Thread Information