French car drivers are better.
  • Register
  • Help

Default French car drivers are better.

Today was a first for me. I saw my first truely woeful french car driver. I may be biased but I've always found french car drivers ( or should that be drivers of french cars) to be more aware and educated than your average road user, probably something to do with the type of person who'd buy a frog, so I was shocked to see a little red pug causing grief for several fellow road users during what qualifies as the morning peak hour on the sunny FNC.

There's a lot of French steel up this way, both new and old, including a few at the small rental places. I'm hoping it was just one of these rentals and not a real Frogger( or maybe it was just an apparition caused from breathing the fumes after not closing the Fuego's hatch properly)

Is it my imagination or are we above average drivers ?

cheers

Advertisement

Paul

Far and beyond above average

hehe, we're starting to get a bit arrogant... deciding driving skills based on the marque we drive

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scrumhead
    Today was a first for me. I saw my first truely woeful french car driver. I may be biased but I've always found french car drivers ( or should that be drivers of french cars) to be more aware and educated than your average road user, probably something to do with the type of person who'd buy a frog, so I was shocked to see a little red pug causing grief for several fellow road users during what qualifies as the morning peak hour on the sunny FNC.

There's a lot of French steel up this way, both new and old, including a few at the small rental places. I'm hoping it was just one of these rentals and not a real Frogger( or maybe it was just an apparition caused from breathing the fumes after not closing the Fuego's hatch properly)

cheers

Paul
    The little poogoes are no better than the rest of the road users. Particually the ones that seem to think it's permanantly foggy and drive with there fog lights permanantly on

Then again I'm certainly NOT a perfect driver ... not ever ... so I can't really comment.

I would hope most Citroen drivers are better than average as are most renault drivers and the crowd that drivers larger poogoes

seeya,
    Shane L.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by scrumhead
    Of course you are. You all are people who appreciate things otherwise you would not have chosen a french car. You apreciate your drive/driving and the ride. So obviously you are above the others. It is like the french way of life we do take time to appreciate like eating, shaging, etc...
    Vive la France !

XTC

Sounds like a little too much of that notorious French arrogance is rubbing off the car and onto its owners

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Seriously? I think people who are in car clubs and care for their cars properly are way above the median point of mediocrity that is the average Australian driver.

French car drivers are often a brave bunch, working against false stereotypes, so I'm reasonably certain that most of us are better drivers than most.

I'm not perfect, but I know I have better defensive driving skills than any of my family. I scan the road, traffic and mirrors regularly, think about who is where and do head checks. I go the speed the road and conditions allow, unlike many crazy large 4wd wagon owners who think they are immortal, and leave adequate space between me and the car in front.

I see these things repeated on my days out with the VW and froggy clubs, so I reckon we're okay.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    French car drivers are often a brave bunch, working against false stereotypes, so I'm reasonably certain that most of us are better drivers than most.
    Visit ANY forum on cars (esp the one makes ones) and they will ALL say that Are Froggy cars any cheaper to insure then other makes .. not really.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

XTC

Perhaps the title should read ... "French car drivers are better lovers" .. no one will dispute that !!

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

I'm with you Vanderaj....I think (as a very broad generalisation) that people who really enjoy their driving are more likely to be attracted to a french car due to its' handling and performance. After all they truly are "drivers" cars.

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Ye but there's alot of snotty-nosed, conservative veteran drivers who do 30 in a 60 and 60 in a 100 (you know the type) that drive froggies!!! Not that there's any here

Ive noticed lately how many of the elderly drive 406's lately....did Peugeot offer a pensioners concession for them or something?

Which car would you choose to drive in Paris? Been there, tried it.
    2CV with no airbags, or a 607 with half a dozen.
    Real men would probably go for the 2CV, but me? sorry, I prefer to live to collect my pension.

Default French car drivers, are better????

Reading back on this thread I'm convinced that some of the contributors are starting to believe their own bull#@t.
    People are people and it doesn't matter if they drive Rollers, Geminis or French cars there will always be an even number of d*@#ds out there

Of course I could be the exception. Multi class licence holder for 46 years, English car licence for 22 years. Pinched once for 5 mph over at age 19. Current licence still demerit free. [Touch wood]
    Most of those years I've owned French cars.
    I had better be carefull, believing your own bs and all that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Reading back on this thread I'm convinced that some of the contributors are starting to believe their own bull#@t.
    People are people and it doesn't matter if they drive Rollers, Geminis or French cars there will always be an even number of d*@#ds out there

Of course I could be the exception. Multi class licence holder for 46 years, English car licence for 22 years. Pinched once for 5 mph over at age 19. Current licence still demerit free. [Touch wood]
    Most of those years I've owned French cars.
    I had better be carefull, believing your own bs and all that!
    People seem to have this bizzare perception that bad driving is determined by how fast you drive?? There are a million other bad traits performed by dodgey drivers that quite happily sit at or just below the speed limit. Not speeding is not a pre-requisite for being a good driver. These drivers usually plod on though society not being caught by the gun or speed cameras, just merely cutting people off, sitting in the right lane, not indicating properly through a roundabout, wafting between lines or failing to give way etc etc etc etc! (unfortunately they havent devised a camera or gun able to photograph these acts of stupidity!) I often here people say how good a driver they are because they havent had a speeding ticket for a long time! The amount of people I know that are atrocious drivers but have "clean" licenses is huge! (I apologise to my Grandmother or parents if they are reading this! ) I drive 60-70,000km a year in my job & all I know is that there is no easy way to spot a good or bad driver by what they drive, French car drivers probably seem a little better because you never see as many! Thats my 2 cents worth anyway! Peoples perceptions are quite extraordinary, I honestly thought I should consider becoming a hippy or an eccentric art dealer at one stage as this was the expectation of driving a Citroen 2CV!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Didn't you know ? .. French sh!t doesn't stink ....

Yep, I don't think we or anyone else can "claim" to be better drivers, and sometimes the BEST drivers can be just damn unlucky. What constitutes a good driver ? Dunno but I've done over 300,000kms without a traffic fine/offence, or an accident (self or otherwise), and I wouldn't say "driving like grandma" either, so that's either extraordinary good luck, or reasonable skill (or a little bit of both). The more kms you're out there the opportunities there are.

- xTc -

You do know now I've said that in public, next week the car will be crashed into and there will be a speeding fine in the mail waiting for me !!!

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!

Default Commodore drivers!

Today in Bunbury I was on the Ring Road in Gti. Checked mirror frequently nothing there as other cars well back. Im in right lane travelling at 80 kph limit as turning right at next lights.
    Looked in mirror again Two commodores racing at I estimate in excess of 160 kph none will give in. We are on two lane road and both W....s in Commodores go past on my left one just missed hittting me by centimeres and nearly took out other Commodore at same time. Like now three cars in two lanes the one slightly in front cutting in on other one who would not back off.
    There was no time for me to react they came up so quickly. But I did think I was going to be hit it was that close.
    I HATE THESE WA>>>>S
    Graelin

I hate to make a mass generalisation here, but I had a very similar thing happen to me on my way to work one morning last November.

I was just driving along down the cutting from Alstonville to Ballina, just driving as i usually do. Plodding along at 100km (technically 10ks over my limit but who cares) I check mirror, check speedo, eyes forward. check mirror, check speedo, eyes forward. Check mirror check speedo eyes forward. A technique drummed into me by Ray Eason, my instructor. I would check mirror and speed around every 2-4 seconds. So Iím seeing no cars on the road. Very quiet. Then i check my mirror for the first time in like 4 seconds and there is this white piece of crap that was half an instant from parking in my boot -scared the crap out of me. Had to be doing 200 to come up on me out of no-where like that on a straight piece of road. I watched him in disbelief as he, just as he was about to run straight up my ass, brake sooooo hard I saw his whole junkheap pitch forward dramatically, centimeters from my diamond badge.

He waited for half a break in on coming traffic and blasted across the double lines and left me for dead stunned. I was that pissed I let him have a flash of my high beams as he speed off in front of me and the stupid ******, who had his window down which of course is always a good idea when your doing 200kms/ph, flipped me off as he got smaller toward the horizon.

Unbelievable. That is the kind of day when you need a mobile radar unit come up the cutting and just get range as the stupid prick is overtaking. Say goodbye to your abysmal heap of crap for a few years, buddy and meet my old friend public transport. dumb pricks.
    '87 Camry 2.0ltr injected---------5min 11 sec
    '85 Charade turbo 700cc----------5min 06 sec RESPECT
    '99 GX Impreza 2.0ltr-------------5min 02 sec
    '99 WRX w/ hi-flo exhaust------4min 46 sec
    Byrnesy's 172---------------------- 4min 25 sec

Fellow Frogger!

Default Big Bad

Well put!
    Graelin

al

That was in 80 and 90km zones too. I had a similar experience the other day, (suprise, suprise it was a ful sik commy...) the only difference being it was in a 60 zone, which had only 20 minutes earlier been 40 for the end of school. I don't think that there is anything that can be done to stop this, some people are just far too stupid.

Thread Information