Helping the more junior froggers.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Helping the more junior froggers.

After seeing this:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...275#post184275

I wondered who were the younger owner/drivers of the other breeds, Pug and Cit and as a bit of incentive, would they like to put their hands up and can we older "bullfrogs" offer any assistance in keeping their charges on the road?
    I'm willing to help any younger Cit owner where I can and any other French breed for that matter, but who else is in for it and whose the younger owners and do they actually need any help?
    We may come under the category of "old farts" but we may also be able to save them falling into the traps that have befallen many others in times gone by...."Aussiefrogs; sharing the knowledge"

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Well... from what i've noticed, especially with Citroen, is that the younger ones aren't so interested in the marque.

They prefer the rice boy Japanese vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    Well... from what i've noticed, especially with Citroen, is that the younger ones aren't so interested in the marque.

I suppose im the odd one out!

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Well, at present we've got AndyN who is venturing in, so why not others?
    My son is 18 and drives a BXTZi and Greenblood has a son who wishes his old man would get out of the 16V so he can have a go; AXGt and Dave aren't exactly old and grey and have an AX and BX respectively and Reno formerly Xsara was also into Cits but there's got to be others that we're unaware of and I think it's time we tried to foster that ownership because Cits have this public perception problem that some of our less respectable repairers have generated over time and the more reputable ones that we have on here coupled with some of the more experienced owners can give them a bit of confidence in buying these cars knowing that back up is as far away as the computer.

Alan S

True, spot on!

We have to fight endless battles against the common generalisations that French marques are unreliable, expensive to repair etc...

When i was first exploring the Citroen marque, everyone i asked told me that i'd need a seperate bank account to sustain repairs, parts etc... hogwash.

Far more reliability issues with Japanese vehicles, from my experience.

I've had several victories now, including converting a courier driver into a Citroen owner, he now drives a 04 Xsara and loves every bit of it, now that's some feat, considering couriers need to worry about reliability. (he hasn't had a single problem to date)

The battle must go on

Icon6 Who says we ain't interested?!?!

My Father owned a beautifully maintained Peugeot 303 back in the 80's, then he had a 505SR. Before he passed away he left me the 505 and got himself a brand new 406SV(late 2001). Since then i've had another two pugs and now a Xsara VTS(which is the keeper). There's been some hot Peugeots, but they don't have the X factor that the great Cits do. I'm also the proud owner of a great collection of diecast Traction Avants and DS's...oh, and the missus has the Xsara 2.0 auto. All I need now is some psychiatric help and the package will be complete.

Keef
    Last edited by O'Murchu; 1st March 2005 at 11:54 PM. Reason: I made a boo-boo

Icon10

More *cough* younger *cough* crowd than I expected on here.

Got my first 505 STi when I was 16, learnt to drive on it. Now I'm 22 and onto my 2nd 505 STi (sucker for K-Jet punishment) . But at 488,XXXkms shes getting a little tired.

Now that I'm in my final 6months of Uni the feelers are going out for a Newer car once I get the disposable income aboard. So far SWMBO has banned another 505, BX16V, CX Turbo, Renault Anything, 306 except Chris' S16 (I wish ), any 206. So now I'm threatening her with old Alfa GTV6, 240/260Z's and 850R volvo's. She'll turn back to a nice 405 Mi16 or Cooking 504 at the end of this

Jono
    Last edited by crosspug; 2nd March 2005 at 12:15 AM.
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

i'll put myself up in the youngish (though i feel older every day being now 21 and wishing i was still 16 ) brigade of Peugeot drivers, and citroen admirers...

i've always had interest in Citroens and Peugeots, and although i don't have enough knowledge of Citroens as i would like to have, i would always love a D, though i don't have the bottomless pockets it would take to fastidiously maintain and keep a D on the road. My liking of Citroens continues however in the more modern C2's and the C5 wagons

As for the peugeots, so many cars, so many memories, i love them all 203 to GTI180, to 307cc, and 407 wagon (the only three of the current pugs i would own)

Renaults, well no experience in the world of Renaults, but can someone buy me a turbo Megane, Clio V6, and an R5 turbo

so as you can see, i am both young, and a fan of the French marquees, my first car was a 504 Ti (loved it), my second a 4 door 205 (love it with all its quirks)

now to convert some more young people into pugophiles
    Last edited by orestes; 2nd March 2005 at 01:10 AM.

On ya Stalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers ed ge

MrV

Icon10

well i'd just like to add that i became interested in peugeots all on my own... i saw the 206 GTi and the motorshow (2002 i believe) and for some reason i just fell for it... bitten by the luv pug

since then i wanted to buy a 206 GTi but did further research and found out about many more peugeots. imagine my surprise when i saw a 405 in the paper for $300 (blown motor!)... i didn't get that one cos i was too slow but thats when it clicked that 'hey, i can actually own a peugeot in my price range!'

so i kept looking in the trading post every week and came across an old 505 in a car yard for 2 grand... it wasn't worth nearly as much, and in the end when i offered him 500 cash to take it away he declined... its still there, nearly a year later!

i was tossing up between a 405 and 505 for ages, the main factor really was price... i wanted something as modern as i could get... i test drove a beautiful old 505 that was going for 3 grand and just wanted my mechanic to check it over before i bought it... then the guy went and sold it on the weekend on me

so i saved and waited and waited and went out to look at 405's around brisbane, and here it was i found my true love ... so i bought it.. my first pug at 19, hopefully the first of many

my friends and family members couldn't understand why i was so obsessed about them, and frankly neither do i

as for citroen, well, at the same motorshow i saw the Xsara coupe (nice) but next to the 206 in terms of price, interior and sheer good looks it didn't quite get me... although the C3 that i sat in at the motor show this year was, i have to admit, extremely nice. but then, i also loved the golf...

well thats my

ciao

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga

yes, well... who would really want to be seen driving a civic? or a lancer? or even a skyline... when you could be driving in something with abit of class and style.

i got my 405Mi16 when i was 19, as a first car a little over 6months ago. some think i am crazy, and i am. but i love it.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Fellow Frogger!

At 16 I bought a 309 SR, then at 17 a 504 Ti and at 19 a 405 SRi.

Not sure what I'll move onto next, the problem with Peugeot prices in New Zealand is $1000-1500 can get you a nice 405/205/309 etc but to move upto the next generation eg 306 you really need to be pushing $4000 which is out of my budget at the moment.

A 205 GTi is very tempting but it would have to be a proper UK-spec one not a Jap import. So is an Mi16 but does it justify the $2000-3000 more than my current '90 SRi? Technically yes it does but realistically hmmm...

Guess I'm 'old' young now, being 25 'an all. Although being back at uni doing my PhD I have the same kind of money issues

I got my first GS when I was 19. My girlfriend, who's 22, is a dedicated frog-spotter and wants a CX Prestige (or a Pug 306, thanks to CHRIS'S16 )

Any of the 'bullfrogs' want to lend me a gas torch one day this weekend to loosen a hub nut?

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

well me only a wee caint toad at 20 then..

I got my first pug experience at the tender age of 7 or 8 or somthing, when my father whom admititably remembers selling his Mark 2 jag to buy a new 504 of the time, spoted this on the side of the road at a "steal" of a price..

It has dam well facinated me ever since..

He currently has that in a shed doing preety much everything to it.. Should come out with the iron block and a couple of webbers sitting on top making all the right noises

Im in possesion of a 505Sti which i sorta inherited after sluming it in a G100 Charade

but i still pine and earn for the lines of that 04..

When i descover what disposable income is, it will be first on my list

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

I need all the help i can get at times....

I guess at 24 I'd be in the younger category as well. Have grown up in French cars (renaults and citroens) and have managed to inherit my dads facination with them (he was once crazy enough to take on the job of president of the citroen owners club of victoria). I am however the first member of the family to own a Peugoet. I was 'this close' to buying an immaculate BX16 (the car that josephk owned) which was a bargain, but I had my heart set on an Mi16. After originally trying to persuade me not to get an Mi16 my dad has come round and now thinks it is a sensational car.

I've also copped a fair bit of shit for being into these cars - having worked at the local garage a few years ago I was constantly hearing things like...'why'd you buy that?'...'only good renault is a cube of scrap metal'...blah blah blah from people who have no idea. I'm currently working on some of my mates, trying to educated them about the good aspects of euro cars - must say it seems to be working - females especially seem to appreciate the european class a bit more.

Anyway, all you old blokes ( ) keep up the enthusiasm. I've learnt a fair bit over the last year from you guys - the forum really is a wealth of shared knowledge.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Quote Originally Posted by chris

Any of the 'bullfrogs' want to lend me a gas torch one day this weekend to loosen a hub nut?

Chris
    Better idea still; why not post asking for advice on this job and DIY in 5 minutes?

If it's the same as a CX I think it's a 42mm socket (on the rear) and 36(?) on the front. 3/4" socket on a breaker bar with an extension around 2 metres long.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...achmentid=2457

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Better idea still; why not post asking for advice on this job and DIY in 5 minutes?
    I did the other side a while back, this one is a tad reluctant... 32mm 1/2in drive socket + about 4 feet of pipe and it's laughing at me. More to the point, the hex part of the nut is quite shallow and I'll smash the corners off if I use any more force.

I just need to heat up the nut a bit to break 30 years worth of habit, then I can put it back together later WITH ANTI-SEIZE. Which most mechanics, backyard or professional, would seem never to have heard of

EDIT: This is tongue in cheek really, sorry for going OT...

Cheers ,
    Chris
    Last edited by chris; 3rd March 2005 at 10:46 AM.
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

Well, I may be 38 but definitely still put myself in the younger Froggie class!
    I got my first Froggie hit when my dad bought a Cit GA Club back in NZ. After brief flirtations with a Fiat Strada & NSU RO80, we were soon travelling around in a Renault 5 Turbo - more than comfortable for a family of four, even on long drives
    After moving to WA we ended up with another R5 Turbo, then my wonderful dad bought a 1966 R4 ... why wonderful? Because he sold it to me & I was hooked on Voitures for life!! Ursula R4 was my pride & joy & I was devastated when I had to sell her because I couldn't afford to get her brakes rebuilt I now have Sophie AXGT at home & while she doesn't engender the same feelings of adoration as Ursula did, I'm more than happy with her. Still, I'd take a R4 over anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Ally67
    After brief flirtations with a Fiat Strada & NSU RO80, :
    Another NSU Ro80 person I have one, and my Dad has many. Did yours have the proper engine, or did some silly sod convert it to Mazda or (shudder...) Ford V4 power?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Just saw a brand new Megane Turbo go past on P Plates . I hate to generalise, but it was an aisan driver - Present from Daddy to get him to his uni lectures no doubt.... Bet he wont be on here though...

My froggie addiction started at 12 when I learnt to drive on the farm in an R4. I then was given at 16 a clapped out round eye R10 as a paddock basher which I had endless fun in. It was held together by the rust and got hammered mercilessly around the bush tracks. Learnt a lot about controlling slides etc. Still no idea how I never crashed it majorly... I cringe now when I think of how I used to drive it.

First road car was a Rover 2000 TC (kept the parent happy driving a solid safe car) which I loved and still miss, but I went back to an R10 after that. Then a 504, Fuegos, R21, R25 and now a 406 at the tender age of 30. Once the froggy bug bites, its hard to shake!
    Last edited by Haakon; 31st March 2005 at 05:11 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That's illegal isn't it. The power to weight ratio of a Megane Turbo should be vastly outside (by a massive amount) allowable for a 'P' plater.

Personally I think all 'P' platers should be restricted to something with the speed and power of a Renault 12. The idea they can drive high powered V6 crummydores and turbo charged cars is ludicrous (turbo diesels aside).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Just saw a brand new Megane Turbo go past on P Plates . I hate to generalise, but it was an aisan driver - Present from Daddy to get him to his uni lectures no doubt.... Bet he wont be on here though...
    damn,

I've been saving and saving for my 225 for ages and now I hear of little kids just getting them. Thats a bloody outrage that is! I hope mistereno,finds him and throws the book at him

"I'm taking this car to be impounded...... you can have it back in a few weeks when I'm done with it"
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    That's illegal isn't it. The power to weight ratio of a Megane Turbo should be vastly outside (by a massive amount) allowable for a 'P' plater.

Personally I think all 'P' platers should be restricted to something with the speed and power of a Renault 12. The idea they can drive high powered V6 crummydores and turbo charged cars is ludicrous (turbo diesels aside).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Agree on all points.

You're only as old as you feel and I still consider myself on the young side at 44. This forum is a great wealth of knowledge, for any-body young or old, to compare notes, share opinions and most of all to learn about French cars.

My first contact with French cars was when I was 17. My mate purchased a Renault 12. I was in love. At 24 I purchased a Feugo GTX, which gave me many years of joy. Now at 41, My best purchase, the Xsara VTS. I've got a lot of flack from friends over the years about French "rust buckets" etc; which at times had me doubting my choice of transport. I enjoy this site because it encourages and educates people about the great joy of owning a Froggie and maintaining it for years to come!

KEEP UP THE GREAT THREADS my fellow Froggers
    Cheers Pete
    01 Xsara VTS

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information