Unique words to Aussie Frogs?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Unique words to Aussie Frogs?

Some of the language used in AF can be quite interesting. My ESL background means its all too comon to me. But I do enjoy some of the "special" ways we tend to describe our terms. EG:
    * Upsie-Downsie--> Noun, Citroen hydroulic suspention
    * Chuckability--> Adjective, a car that lets the driver manhandle it round corners....

Who can add to our wonderfull and unique vocab? What other words, terms or phrases can we colate? List them here and lets see how inventive we can get. Lets keep em nice and a brief description of what it means, yeah? Never mind the spelling as I'm pretty poor in that brief.

Advertisement
    ... ptui!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

not my word so i can't take credit for it but it was one that an old mate of mine used once that really fitted in with working on a froggy in some of the confined spaces

the word is awkwardity

i have used it a few times since i heard it and it still makes me laugh
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

XTC

AussieFrocks and a couple that for the sake of peace I'll leave out .. DAMN funny though

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

'Chuckability'... at least to me... doesn't mean that at all...

It means that the car is nimble and can be tossed about, that you can trust it to come back to you when you take liberties.

'Manhandle' implies a bit of a struggle.

Default Unique words to Aussie Frogs/

"The newness has worn off". The words used by one of our service advisors when trying to get it across to a overly fussy owner that components do deteriorate.

"Earthacity". One of my own I think. When a cable or component that when new was screwed directly to a painted surface. Over time to get the item to work again meant removing the surface to bare metal. "To restore the earthacity".

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell

It means that the car is nimble and can be tossed about, that you can trust it to come back to you when you take liberties.

True, its all in the personal interpretation of that word, but I don't think "chuckability" will be in my webster hence its up to us to make it part of AF history.
    Another one to add to the list is "troll", who would like to file that one and post its meaning.
    What exactly are the infamous "rose coloured glasses"? What is a "post whore?", in detail etc.- Chris
    ... ptui!

'Rose coloured glasses'?

An everyday expression meaning that you always see things in the best light...

Good old "chuckability"- To me it means like how nimble and how well the car handles, anyways thats my version of it!

Anyways i better go back to gettting my license

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    What is a "post whore?"
    Someone who submits many posts within the same thread..., most of which are of little or no actual value or add little or nothing to the conversation...

Usually posts such as -

Sorry, I haven't ever owned a Peugeot 405 and have little or no mechanical knowledge or experience so I probably can't help you with the problem you have (the details of which I can't actually remember and don't really care about) but atleast I added another post to my ever growing tally of crapola posts...

You get the picture....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell

Yeah that's what chuckability means to me. Something that's easy to throw around and doesn't protest to much. i.e opposite of a falcon stationwagon. I think we all mean the same thing with that term, we just use different words to describe it.

If that's the definition, then I'd admit I can be a post whore I don't think I make a huge number of posts overall, but I think sometimes I make too many posts in one thread.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Someone who submits many posts within the same thread..., most of which are of little or no actual value or add little or nothing to the conversation...

Usually posts such as -

Sorry, I haven't ever owned a Peugeot 405 and have little or no mechanical knowledge or experience so I probably can't help you with the problem you have (the details of which I can't actually remember and don't really care about) but atleast I added another post to my ever growing tally of crapola posts...

You get the picture....

you mean posts like

So was this one, in fact... and I've missed it again!
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

No, that one contained a message...

XTC

Someone who submits many posts within the same thread..., most of which are of little or no actual value or add little or nothing to the conversation... You get the picture....
    Yep..

mlb

Yes, but isn't making inane posts to get your post count up to rise from tadpole/member allowed, if not expected?
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

1000+ Posts

'Troll' is is in wide use too Chris. From what I gather, someone who posts to get a reaction, nothing else.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Administrator

The Pug 180Gti is the biggest heap oh auto poo ever constructed...

Anyone that defends them is simply pissed off that they wasted the extra folding stuff and didn't by a Clio Sport as they are far superior in every aspect...

A bit like that????

XTC

The Pug 180Gti is the biggest heap oh auto poo ever constructed...

Anyone that defends them is simply pissed off that they wasted the extra folding stuff and didn't by a Clio Sport as they are far superior in every aspect...

A bit like that????
    Perfect Richard .. even got the facts 100% wrong, just like a good troll ...

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Default Troll

"Another one to add to the list is "troll", who would like to file that one and post its meaning." From above.

A troll emanates from the Scandinavian folklore or myths. Even in Sweden it has come to mean several things, one of which is if there is a recurring mistake in something then there is a troll in there somewhere. For children, it is the evil tooth troll that gives dental discomfort.
    It comes from Nordic mythology wherein a nature or elemental being that lives inside mountains and that derives from the pre-historic ice and fire giants. They are ape-like, hairy, foul smelling beings with hunched backs and cow like tails.They have long noses and ears as well as screwed-up eyes that light like embers in the dark. Their biggest threat is nature itself.
    Anyway, perhaps phrases such as the "uppsy downsy troll has got the better of my ID19" would be a good starter for bringing the term into general use.
    There's a troll in my distributor, there's a troll in my starter, or even , there's a troll in my steering. (I better not get started on the 'Tomten' word or we'll never get anywhere.)
    Names of artists and writers who have depicted these creatures include John Bauer, Jenny Nyström, Gustaff Fröding (Froeding) and a host more. You've all seen them but not thought about them.
    Well that is just a little information along the road.
    Phil

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Filldebin
    "Another one to add to the list is "troll", who would like to file that one and post its meaning." From above.

A troll emanates from the Scandinavian folklore or myths. Even in Sweden it has come to mean several things, one of which is if there is a recurring mistake in something then there is a troll in there somewhere. For children, it is the evil tooth troll that gives dental discomfort.
    It comes from Nordic mythology wherein a nature or elemental being that lives inside mountains and that derives from the pre-historic ice and fire giants. They are ape-like, hairy, foul smelling beings with hunched backs and cow like tails.They have long noses and ears as well as screwed-up eyes that light like embers in the dark. Their biggest threat is nature itself.
    Anyway, perhaps phrases such as the "uppsy downsy troll has got the better of my ID19" would be a good starter for bringing the term into general use.
    There's a troll in my distributor, there's a troll in my starter, or even , there's a troll in my steering. (I better not get started on the 'Tomten' word or we'll never get anywhere.)
    Names of artists and writers who have depicted these creatures include John Bauer, Jenny Nyström, Gustaff Fröding (Froeding) and a host more. You've all seen them but not thought about them.
    Well that is just a little information along the road.
    Phil
    And of course, there are those crap cars from Trollhattan.

(A troll within a troll!)

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

One time my very intelligent, capable, Office Manager sister was describing the car of a workmate. She said:

"It's one of the old square Falcons... it's got the proper wheel things that boys like."

Ah, an XF with mags.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Default Trolldom

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    And of course, there are those crap cars from Trollhattan.

(A troll within a troll!)

Stuey
    Yep, although many think they are great. At the moment the owners, GM, of the Saab factory and name SAAB Automobles is deciding whether to close the factory here and produce the Saabs in Germany or to keep the factory and build a fully European Cadillac. Rumors are rife so the saga goes on. i think there is a troll buried there somewhere.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    One time my very intelligent, capable, Office Manager sister was describing the car of a workmate. She said:

"It's one of the old square Falcons... it's got the proper wheel things that boys like."

Ah, an XF with mags.
    , classic. Stick that one in the books.
    Proper wheel things that boys like. --> noun, alloy or "mag" auto wheel.
    ... ptui!

Default Trollhättan

For those interested, the large German auto newspaper has stated that GM is going to plough millions of crowns or dollars into the Trollhättan factory to produce Cadillac BLS and put millions, maybe billions into new Saab products. This is said to be occuring because of the huge effectivity improvements over the past months as the two plants were forced to compete with each other whilst trying to keep just their factory going. Yeah, seen that before. Saab will then probably be produced in Russelheim alongside the Vectras etc. Well they share the same floorpans etc.
    I suppose the Troll wins out to some extent.
    Phil

Default Troll continued

Further to the above. Many hours have gone since I wrote the preceding message. All the above has now been confirmed by GM heads at the Geneva Motor Show as the new Saab Sport Wagon is released.
    However, I read in another newspaper, the main morning one for Gothenburg, (Trollhättan lies just outside), that the engine for the new Cadillac is an all aluminium 2.8 (or such) V6 that is produced at the new engine factory at, you can guess, Port Melbourne.
    I realise that this probably the wrong forum , but it all started here.
    Phil.

Hmmm i think this calls for a SAAB post....i wanna be part of this one!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information