Oh no! Not another home brew RCS clio 182 review!?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Oh no! Not another home brew RCS clio 182 review!?

Sorry, but here's another opinion of the RCS Clio 182 CUP. Is it uneducated? Completely! Is it biased? I tried not to be, but there probably is. Does anyone care about my opinion? Probably not, but too bad if you choose to open this thread!

Took one for a half hour test drive today. Damn near had to sell my soul too but will get to that later. Didn't get to take it to a proper piece of winding road, but did throw it around a few nice corners. Also most of my opinions are in comparison to my car, a 306 gti6.

Advertisement

It's a very quick car. The engine is very nice and smooth and had heaps of torque down low. I guess it's low weight has something to do with how quickly it moves down low in the rev range, but you can tell that engine is a pearler. It's not too loud, and though it pulls really well down low and builds power linearly, it revs out completely freely. Hit the rev limiter quite a few times without meaning to.

Gearchange great, clutch I found to be perfectly weighted. Brakes had a soft pedal feel compared to my car, but pulled up fine. The brakes are set a fair bit higher than the accelerator, but I think it's perfect for heel and toeing, because when you stomp on the brakes, the pedal goes nicely in line with the accel' for blipping the throttle.

It's a very chuckable car. Only little bodyroll, and really virtually no torque steer I experienced, even hammering it out of a corner in second gear. I did manage to get the tyres squealing throwing it into a few corners but I'm sure those michelins need to be warmed up to work their best but it still gripped well. It has a really good balance to it and throttle adjustability similar to the gti6, but without that rear steer feel. Much more go-kartish and chuckable. Feels very light and very easy for me to drive it reasonably hard. I would take a guess that it would be a much more predictable car at the limit compared to the gti6. Has better turn in than the gti6 in that unlike with the gti6, you don't have to get as much weight shift happening to get good turn in. With the gti6, it turns in really well if you get off the throttle just before turning in but a constant speed hook-it-suddenly style will have it understeering whereas the the clio doesn't at similar speeds. But from the limited driving at the limited pace I did, it doesn't feel like it has any more overall grip than either the 206 or 306. But the ability to slide the front and rear wheels simiultaneously without too much difficulty makes it feel very balanced.

Negatives are the fit and finish. It's trim etc really is put together pretty appalingly. They had a brand spanker in the showroom which had a bit of the plastic trim at the base of the windscreen starting to pull out. Same with the dash panels which are quite loose. Mechanically I'm sure it's solid..it'd have to be to survive some of the hard driving these cars get. Steering feel/feedback is nowhere near the gti6. Maybe they did that to reduce torque steer or wheel kickback, but I don't mind a little bit of torque steer as it lets you know what's going on.

I don't know what they're going on about it's harsh ride. I definitely drove the CUP and the ride was, at worst, a little bit more jiggly than mine on ruts etc but that's about it. I hit some huge dips at speed and the suspension absorbed it perfectly with no more harshness than my car which only runs 15" rims.

My missus really needs one of these. She just doesn't know it yet.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Great review Jude!

It's a pitty that they couldnt let you sample the car on the roads im sure it was designed for!

I havent taken a RCS for a drive yet but I'm getting more and more tempted... When I took the 180 for a test drive Taylors threw me the keys and said be back in an hour or so. I know of others who they have done the same thing to.

It would be good to see if you could get the Renault dealer to do the same thing!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Sorry, but here's another opinion of the RCS Clio 182 CUP. Is it uneducated? Completely! Is it biased? I tried not to be, but there probably is. Does anyone care about my opinion? Probably not, but too bad if you choose to open this thread!
    Sounds a pretty fair review to me from the limited time you would have had the car. All you need to do now is test the 206 GTi 180, and find it better, to start the controversy :-)

You have no idea what I had to go through to get the drive. I pretty much said I'm looking to upgrade my car. So he asked me if I was going to trade in and I said yes. So he actually took my car for a test drive first, though he didn't hammer it. THEN I took the rcs for a test drive. Then we sat down and talked prices etc etc cos I did say I liked the car, which was the truth. Ultimately they offered me, at first, just over 11 grand trade in price for my car. I almost laughed out loud, as it worked out at 26 grand changeover price. Then I said I could get 19-20K my car since it's such a low K rare'ish car so I would go away and try and sell it myself. So he actually said to me then that if I was willing to sign, he would print out the deal with a changeover price of 20 grand, and after I'd signed it, he would present it to his bosses for possible approval....I actually got there at 6pm and walked out of there at just before 8pm.

I asked about a possible test drive through the hills and the head nissan boss/manager etc said if I was 100% serious to sign afterwards, they would let me do that with the salesman coming along....

PS. The salesman, Richard was a really nice guy and didn't put undue pressure or talk sh*t. Definitely recommend taking one for a drive, though I get the feeling they're a bit anal about test drives in that you're not getting one unless you're definitely looking to buy one. Fair call I guess.

edit: Simon, I've already very long drives of the gti180. A mate in Sydney has one and I drove it through the RNP at a very good pace. The gti180 has better steering feel. Overall grip is probably just as much, though hard to compare as didn't get the rcs tyres warmed up. But the gti180 is not as chuckable and the engine is definitely not as torque, though above 5000 rpm both rev just as quickly. I don't know if the rcs really is quicker in a straight line, but because it pulls so hard from down low, it feels quicker. I still like the gti180 seats better, and you sit lower in it. I'm short, but in the rcs even at lowest seat setting, it felt a fraction high, probably because I like my seat back to be quite upright. gti180 has good damping in big bumps, but ruts etc jiggle so much more than the rcs cup. rcs I didn't crunch once even changing gears as fast as I could. I don't crunch in my car either. But gti180, 1st to 2nd I crunched unless I took a bit of care. gti180 is much better built interior/trim wise than the rcs.
    Last edited by jastanis; 25th February 2005 at 01:05 AM.

- 306 gti6

I suppose they get so many test pilots who have zero intention of buying, and just want a quick thrash of the car they read about in the latest Motor Motor magazine Blow Your Bux comparison test. That minority make it hard for those who are serious.

You just described me there Simon. LOL

- 306 gti6

I hope you did all of this at a track on not on the public roads.
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

I get the feeling they're a bit anal about test drives in that you're not getting one unless you're definitely looking to buy one. Fair call I guess.
    Fair call??? I don't think so. Sure, it'd be fair if you were serious about buying A car, but not THE car. That's why it's called a TEST drive. So you can get an idea of whether you're interested in the car. It's part of the sales process, not a reward for agreeing to buy the thing. That's called ownership!

I would say that what the dealer did, by discussing trade-in & talking paperwork was a ploy. Basically, it starts things moving and before too long most people feel like they've gone too far to back out, so they go ahead with the purchase. It's called manipulation. By the way, this isn't an attack on Renault dealers. It happens at a lot of dealerships, and also in other sales fields. I learnt this method the hard way in a jeans store!!! I still won't go back to that shop 7 years later!!! Pathetic, I know, but it's wrong.

rcs I didn't crunch once even changing gears as fast as I could. I don't crunch in my car either. But gti180, 1st to 2nd I crunched unless I took a bit of care. gti180 is much better built interior/trim wise than the rcs
    Could it possibly have been a dodgy gearbox? I've never crunched my gear changes, except the couple of times I slipped my foot off the clutch halfway through the change. Which was completely my stuff up. I do, though, know of one 180 which has had to have the gearbox replaced already.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    I learnt this method the hard way in a jeans store!!! I still won't go back to that shop 7 years later!!! Pathetic, I know, but it's wrong.
    But how do the jeans handle around corners...? This is the question we all want an answer for....

~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

1000+ Posts

Build quality...
    yeah its a "cheap" car afterall... but it appears as though the internals are all solid (i.e. where it really counts), whereas some of the cosmetics are a bit dodgy...

Nice review BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Fair call??? I don't think so. Sure, it'd be fair if you were serious about buying A car, but not THE car. That's why it's called a TEST drive. So you can get an idea of whether you're interested in the car. It's part of the sales process, not a reward for agreeing to buy the thing. That's called ownership!
    I couldn't agree with you more, Industrie. If I want to see what all the RSC/180 fuss is about, I want to drive both cars. If I can only test drive one, well which do you think I'm going to be more inclined to buy? Maybe if they stop throwing money at car magazines and focus on actually selling cars to people things would be a bit different?

To be fair, I do recall we had a discussion recently on the "joy rider" issue, with some car sales people providing some good info on the other side of the coin - about how to "pick" who is genuine or not.

Could it possibly have been a dodgy gearbox? I've never crunched my gear changes, except the couple of times I slipped my foot off the clutch halfway through the change. Which was completely my stuff up. I do, though, know of one 180 which has had to have the gearbox replaced already.
    'Tis very easy to crunch the change in the 180 (and in the 138), especially when driving it very hard - up around the 6.5-7000 rpm mark. It's been discussed here before too. An ever so slight, momentary pause between shifts prevents it happening nicely. Maybe you have already subconsciously adjusted to it
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Administrator

Took one for a half hour test drive today. Damn near had to sell my soul too ...
    With all the horror stories about Renault dealers not giving out test drives there is one possible reason for their reluctence...

The Dealers/Salesman read Aussiefrogs and know how the cars get test raced..ooops driven

FWIW - I have gone to the Geelong Renault Dealer and have had several 'no obligation' test drives of various cars (including 2 x RCS) with no problem whatsoever. The Salesman in Geelong was a Pom that knew his stuff pretty well and was willing to have a Renault chinwag after I threw back the keys...

Administrator

Gearchange great, clutch I found to be perfectly weighted. Brakes had a soft pedal feel compared to my car, but pulled up fine. The brakes are set a fair bit higher than the accelerator, but I think it's perfect for heel and toeing, because when you stomp on the brakes, the pedal goes nicely in line with the accel' for blipping the throttle.
    Has the gearchange/box been changed at all since the 172. I have found the shift to be rather indifferent on both the cars I have test driven and my mates one that I have driven quite a bit.

I thought that was the biggest let down of the car...

Maybe they did that to reduce torque steer or wheel kickback, but I don't mind a little bit of torque steer as it lets you know what's going on.
    The problem is that the RCS has a heap of low down torque compared to other vehicles of its type and weight and produced more torque steer out of slow speed corners than cars such as the 180GTi which has less punch down low. The 172 definitely had more steering feel but this was dialled out (for better or worse) on the 182 with a bit more castor (from memory)...

BTW - Does anyone know if the 182 still has the same hydraulic assist power steering of the 172 or have the bean counters have had their way and gone electro assist across the board?

I don't know what they're going on about it's harsh ride. I definitely drove the CUP and the ride was, at worst, a little bit more jiggly than mine on ruts etc but that's about it. I hit some huge dips at speed and the suspension absorbed it perfectly with no more harshness than my car which only runs 15" rims.
    The ride has always been the most impressive thing to me. Firm but rarely harsh. The 172 in particular (with the 15's) was a car that could be a real jeckyl and hyde. If your Barina driving mum took it to the shops she wouldn't think anything of it (unless she tramped it trying in an attempt to get a car park ) but open it up (both engine and chassis wise) and....well you know the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by sproose16v
    I hope you did all of this at a track on not on the public roads.
    All what? I had the salesman sitting next to me reminding me several times what the speed limit in the area was. The only gear I revved out was 1st, so barely exceeded speed limit (and I'll stick to that story! ) The tyres squealed a bit on a few corner I threw it into, but as I said, the tyres were cold and I could feel that regardless of squeal, there was plenty of grip left. Also the corners I entered smoothly, there was no squeal and lots of reserve grip. So naturally I literally 'threw' it into a few corners to purposely unsettle it so I could see how it behaved at less than illegal speeds.

Industrie, yeah I've driven 2 gti180's. One a mate's car, the other a demo, and both crunched on fast changes at high rpm, but as SLC said a slight pause is enough to stop it crunching.

I don't see the point of 'defending' the crappy trim issue. That is the one real negative issue about the car. Otherwise it's damn near perfect for what it is. Defending a near 40 grand car for trim that looks like it belongs on a 5 yr old daewoo doesn't encourage the manufacturer to do something about it. I looked at the Megane sport 225 (yum!) and the quality is like chalk and cheese (except for the hard plastic add on bit they stuck on the dash above the speedo!?!?) so we know Renault is definitely capable of good cosmetic build quality.

Mistareno, yeah completely agree with that. But still, as Mike said the pug dealership (who's actually next door to the renault's) just gives the keys and says see you when you get back. I ended up buying my car off them. Though in all fairness, the Renault salesman said I could have the car for ages as long as I was prepared to sign on the spot should there be no dramas during the second test drive.

- 306 gti6

The gearshift wasn't honda smooth, but in comparison to my car, which can be a little notchy when cold, it shifted fine. Never missed a gate or found it notchy. I really liked the clutch. Was firm but not as heavy as my clutc..was just right for me, and I got used to the friction point immediately. I didn't like where the Reverse selector was..left and up, found it a bit unatural, but it's not a big deal.

That's unfortunate that they took those steps to reduce torque steer and reduced steering feel in the process. There's a solution for torque steer and it's called, the right foot. That's half the fun, to be required to modulate the throttle rather than being able to floor it at all costs IMO.

- 306 gti6

Administrator

There's a solution for torque steer and it's called, the right foot. That's half the fun, to be required to modulate the throttle rather than being able to floor it at all costs IMO.
    You've obviously never driven a 140hp Renault 18 Station Wagon...

Here's another reason dealers are somewhat unwilling to let cars out for a test drive. These are from the local Holden dealer in Watsonia!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oh no! Not another home brew RCS clio 182 review!?-mvc-004s.jpg   Oh no! Not another home brew RCS clio 182 review!?-mvc-018s.jpg  
    Last edited by Jensen; 25th February 2005 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks for sharing Jude
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen
    Here's another reason dealers are somewhat unwilling to let cars out for a test drive. These are from the local Holden dealer in Watsonia!
    The guy owned that car... and was a customer of the dealer. Not a test driver...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'm impressed

this has to be one of the first threads i have seen about road testing a car and comparing it to another similar car and it is all a pleasure to read

why can't the other threads on similat topics all be like this one
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Administrator

Jastanis -

Just a quick question - you mention in your review that the car had a soft brake pedal feel compared to you car. Do you mean that the brake pedal feel was less sensitive and required more pedal feel than your pug or that it had a spongy feel?

I have yet to drive 2 RCS that felt exactly the same through the pedal...
    some have felt terrific whilst others have felt to touchy...

Maybe something to do with incorrect bedding in of pads could be a big factor as I imagine that the life of a demo RCS (and many other similar type vehicles) is one of -

1,Slowly drive out of dealership.
    2,Wait till out of earshot of dealership.
    3,Thrash the crap out of demo.
    4,Return to dealership 15 minutes later with smoking brakes and tyres and 10L of petrol gone....

Sorry didn't reply earlier, just got back from Melb. There are sooo many french cars there. There was a grey pug 205 gti parked all weekend outside the Atlantis hotel on Spencer st, and saw a blue S16 with a loud exhaust crusing down Toorak rd today. Anyone here own them?

Anyway, yeah brake pedal was slightly spongy though it was still progressive (i.e not an on/off switch). It also seemed to have less feel than my car, though that could also be due to me just getting used to the nuances of my pedal. The feel was there, but it just seemed that the brakes were over-assisted so it would take a more sensitive foot to feel things. I don't find my brakes particularly full of feel in its current state either. I can't remember how the pedal felt on a '172 I drove last year.

Yeah I can bet this particular car has been hammered a lot as I was told that it's mostly handed out to journos to do what they want for the weekend. Just before I took it out, a journo from The Advertiser (Adelaide newspaper) had it. Did anyone in Adelaide see a write-up in the paper?

- 306 gti6

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    BTW - Does anyone know if the 182 still has the same hydraulic assist power steering of the 172 or have the bean counters have had their way and gone electro assist across the board?
    It's hydraulic, the Megane 225 is electric and I MUCH preferred the Clio steering to the Megane.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    It's hydraulic, the Megane 225 is electric and I MUCH preferred the Clio steering to the Megane.

- xTc -
    Yeah, I knew the old 172 still had hydraulic (even though the rest of the clio range went electro) but I wasn't sure if the 182 was...

I believe (from road tests only admittidly) that the Golf is probably the first electro assist car to really gel so there is some hope..

Thread Information