Speed Camera Revenue Victoria.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default Speed Camera Revenue Victoria.

Last tuesday the Herald sun printed an article on page 5 that seems to confirm my earlier gut feeling that it was the bottom end offender that was supplying the bulk of revenue.

They reported that of the 1,072,459 fines sent out 717,885 were for LESS than 10km/h over the speed limit and these fines totalled a staggering $91.9 million in Revenue!

Hardly surprising that the Victorian Government refuses to reconsider its decision NOT to re-instate the 10 per cent leeway that is in line with the manufactuers speedo accuracy of plus or minus ten per cent.

Advertisement

It is hardly surprising that the Victorian government did nothing to provide motorists with the means to accurately check their speedo. The few remaining overhead speed check have never been certified as accurate, but then again some of the cameras weren't also

Well here is some good news they are "trialling" some devices that will ALLOW motorists to check their speedo's (but don't hold your breath) an interesting link is http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/rsc...T/demerit3.htm
    which gives the whole gamut of the Parliamentary Road Safety Committee and an email address that you can use to give a motorists opinion!

My concern is that the governments concentration on a road safety program that is so biased against the motorist and so full of flaws only breeds a contempt for the law and an urge to civilly disobey, but that risk taking on our roads will lead to a rise in fatal collisions and injuries rather than the safer roads they profess to desire.

At least when a police person intercepts you, you are told then and there what the reason for interception was and you have a chance to dispute that observation, accept the ticket or go to court Not three weeks after the alleged offence and little opportunity of fighting big brother the State!

Interesting reading anyway

Ken

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That latest date referenced there is 83 ie: it's 12years out of date. Much prior to this utterly rediculous 3km/h margin. I totally refuse to believe that has anything other than a negative impact on road safety.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

al

The accuracy of teh overhead speed checking things is pretty average. Interestingly the difference in the readings between the one on the geelong rd (i think) and one up in the bush was further out than my speed when i picked up a $128 fine a couple of weeks ago. I was done for 64 in a 60 zone...i know it was my fault but i would appreciate a way of testing the accuracy of my speedo...

Either way, i'm sure i am not a safer driver now i cruise through urban areas with my attention fixed on the speedo...

How about this one I was told the other day...

Truck drivers' log books have to be accurate. That's the law... and if a Transport Officer or Policeman wants to, they can stop a truck just to check the book. They can start at the end and go back to the beginning.

This driver I met had his book checked, and in it the inspector found he had detailed Waikerie (in SA) as a town he'd stopped at. But he missed an 'i'... spelling it 'Wakerie'...

$120 fine. Or go straight to gaol!

if you get booked in a school zone for not doing 40 but obviously not exceeding the normal limit, you can dispute it and win. because it doesn't state what days are school days. some guy challenged a speeding ticket he got and won.

there is so much revenue being collected from speeding fines but only a fraction of it is being put back into the roads, as many of the roads near me are in appalling condition.

is it legal for a copper to sit at the bottom of a hill and point his speed gun at you coming down a hill?
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Fellow Frogger!

Anyone been watching what Mr Costa is up to in NSW lately?

The < 15 over fine is slated to be reduced from $125 to $75, but one extra point. Sounds good? Who wants to wager that the 3 km threshold isn't far behind, so Mr Carr (can't say Mr Egan anymore as he has gone in mysterious circumstances...) won't be losing that much revenue.

And, on double double weekends, one can lose their license for doing 44km/hour in 4wd ravaged North Sydney via strategically placed speed cameras.

But, it's not about the revenue..

Barry.

Fellow Frogger!

I know it's a pain in the butt when you get a fine but the notion that you have to spend more time looking at your speedo is rubbish. You only have to spend more time looking at the speedo if you constantly drive at or near the limit! The idea, whether ill concieved or not, is to get people to drive slower so that if you drive at say 95km/h then you still have a 8km/h margine for error(to 103km/h.) before you get booked. The margin you chose is your own choice so dont blame the law. If you drive at 102km/h then you have created a 1 km/h margin of error for yourself. 100km/h is the MAXIMUM you are allowed to travel, it doesnt mean you should sensibly be able to drive at a constant 100km/h in all circumstances. If the margin was 10km/h you'd get alot of people driving at 108km/h and still constantly watching their speedos.

1000+ Posts

Default What cut the Pollies Income!!

Quote Originally Posted by barryg
    Anyone been watching what Mr Costa is up to in NSW lately?

The < 15 over fine is slated to be reduced from $125 to $75, but one extra point. Sounds good? Who wants to wager that the 3 km threshold isn't far behind, so Mr Carr (can't say Mr Egan anymore as he has gone in mysterious circumstances...) won't be losing that much revenue.

And, on double double weekends, one can lose their license for doing 44km/hour in 4wd ravaged North Sydney via strategically placed speed cameras.

But, it's not about the revenue..

Barry.
    But it won't happen in Victoria our pollies say (well not until the next election is on the agenda here) Of course if they followed New South Wales Lead NOW this would cut their revenue as more people will be motivated to go to court and fight the fines.

Not a bad ploy though to bring something like this in just before an election - if it is not an election winner, it at least stops the incoming government having access to all that sweet, easy Revenue But then its about Road Safety not revenue!!!!!!

Ken

1000+ Posts

Default Pain in the Butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisspug
    I know it's a pain in the butt when you get a fine but the notion that you have to spend more time looking at your speedo is rubbish. You only have to spend more time looking at the speedo if you constantly drive at or near the limit! The idea, whether ill concieved or not, is to get people to drive slower so that if you drive at say 95km/h then you still have a 8km/h margine for error(to 103km/h.) before you get booked. The margin you chose is your own choice so dont blame the law. If you drive at 102km/h then you have created a 1 km/h margin of error for yourself. 100km/h is the MAXIMUM you are allowed to travel, it doesnt mean you should sensibly be able to drive at a constant 100km/h in all circumstances. If the margin was 10km/h you'd get alot of people driving at 108km/h and still constantly watching their speedos.
    What is a real pain is to sit behind a dawdling driver at 80 or 90 km/h on a highway and then watch them drive through a town at or above the posted speed limit. Its so predictable I can win a bet every time we see one of these (and all to frequently these days) and follow them into a town limit.

Its really about being aware of your driving conditions, maintaining safe distances and concentrating on your driving and being acutely aware of the unexpected rather than putting the mind on automatic and your car on cruise control After all what is safer 10 km under on a highway and ,locking up traffic or driving into a populated area at the posted speed.

I would prefer if these shining examples maintained the same ratio of speed when they drove into town, (at least that would be consistent and far safer), but they DONT. Unfortunately those dills are probably the ones that are pushing the present "speed" campaigns.

Ken

Nisspug... you are incredibly close to having to give back those wheelstuds!

Go to www.roadsense.com.au and get some perspective...

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

As far as I'm concerned, Bracksy lost my vote the moment I got a fine for doing 64 in a 60 zone. My first ever infringement in 12 years of driving. YEs, technically I was speeding, but then so is doing 21 in as 20 zone. This government's arrogancy just has to stop.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

1000+ Posts

I think we're all going to have to get a good pipe cutter & all go Cool Hand Luke style...

Arent the government supposed to be made up from the people FOR the people?

All the government seems to be doing is the job of our loved ones.

1000+ Posts

Looks like we are all for safer driving. Let's hope nerds like Nisspug don't increase the risk of an accident.
    Enough has been said that we all know it's the wrong speed in potentially dangerous circumstances that result in collisions (amongst other reasons). The few km or even 10 over the limit is a lot of crap!
    JoBo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Nisspug... you are incredibly close to having to give back those wheelstuds!

Go to www.roadsense.com.au and get some perspective...
    The fact that you would actually recommend someone to visit that site to get some "perspective" is quite amusing...or alarming depending on which side of the fence you sit on...

It makes the TAC website look like it was written by Vin Diesel and Paul Walker after a hard night of drag racing...

That comes remarkably close to being a 'post whore' effort, Richard!

Administrator

That comes remarkably close to being a 'post whore' effort, Richard!
    Not as close as that Raymond

By the way, did you check that site for Police Officers' contributions?

Administrator

By the way, did you check that site for Police Officers' contributions?
    Yes I know "Peter's" contribution very well...

Don't get me wrong, I think the current legislation sucks and the old 10% system should be brought back.

That website is however so full of one sided half truths and bulls#@t that it makes the government spin doctors look comparatively open minded in comparison...

The guy wonders why no one from the goverment has tried to disprove his notions...5 minutes reading the site would answer that question...

Still, I suppose it's just my opinion, others here may think it's actually costructive and thought provoking...
    Last edited by mistareno; 25th February 2005 at 08:32 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Looks like we are all for safer driving. Let's hope nerds like Nisspug don't increase the risk of an accident.
    Enough has been said that we all know it's the wrong speed in potentially dangerous circumstances that result in collisions (amongst other reasons). The few km or even 10 over the limit is a lot of crap!
    JoBo
    I never said I drove slowly. The only difference between you and me is that when I am booked I'll know it was MY fault and I'll accept it as a gamble I decided to take when I drove close to or over the limit whereas you will whine endlessly about how someone else FORCED you to drive that fast and how you couldnt help it because shoot EVERYONE was going that fast.
    Last edited by Nisspug; 25th February 2005 at 11:02 PM.

i think wat nisspug was trying to get at is that you can judge your speed quite well without looking at the speedo, and if you aim for your limit to be a bit under the accual limit as signed, then you leave yourself enough margin of error to not go over the signed limit.

and it think what he was getting at from that, is that if everyone did this, there would be no build up of traffic because everyone would be happy and feel no need to get past.

a far fetched thought but certainly a differant view worth considering for a moment.

[QUOTE=Stone Free]As far as I'm concerned, Bracksy lost my vote the momentQUOTE]

yeah, that bloke has done some pretty retarded things in his time in office. my vote will be going to the other guy, who ever he is.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

1000+ Posts

Default You want stop go traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by 123abc
    i think wat nisspug was trying to get at is that you can judge your speed quite well without looking at the speedo, and if you aim for your limit to be a bit under the accual limit as signed, then you leave yourself enough margin of error to not go over the signed limit.

and it think what he was getting at from that, is that if everyone did this, there would be no build up of traffic because everyone would be happy and feel no need to get past.

a far fetched thought but certainly a differant view worth considering for a moment.
    Well while your at it why not drop the speed limit by 9 kilometres and stuff up the whole Metropolitan Network of roads, or do the same on the Highway system and totally frustrate both professional drivers and country people trying to drive on those roads seven days a week.

The whole Nth South road system in Melbourne is stuffed as it is, its over capacity in peak times (now all day) and there are still collisions on the road, even worse when it rains and the dills don't adjust to the conditions. but what else can you expect, do they need MORE signs to tell them when to slow down!!

This whole speeding thing is a big con,and a diversion from spending money on our clogged road systems, big bad speeding is a perceptional thing anyway.

I recal speaking with a Highway Patrol Officer in the USA shortly after they bought in the 55 mile an hour fuel saving restriction. I asked him what difference it had made.

He shrugged and said "Waal before that came in we used to get some real bad speeders at 180 miles and hour and up. Now we get some real bad speeders doing 70 to 80 miles an hour." Business as usual!

The biggest problem on our roads is traffic that continually speeds up and slows down, chokes, frustrates even the slow drivers. It is this inconsistency that makes driving no joy as it bunches then accellarates and you are constantly checking your speedo when you should be concentrating on the traffic around you. God knows there are speed signs changing everywhere sometimes a dozen different zones in a few miles.

If drivers are maintaining a steady pace with a safe distance between them to allow them to handle any emergency/contingency, give me this traffic anyday. mix in drivers who can't or wont maintain this flow and you have disruption and chaos and frustration for all road users.

Of course there are drivers out there who have never experienced the sheer pleasure of driving on free flowing uncongested roads. Maybe that is why they don't understand the difference or how to safely drive in those conditions. Unfortunately like Nisspug they do admit to driving at speed at times and that is a recipe for disaster. Roadsafe behaviour?, NO not at all.

Ken

For a professional driver... a trip from Adelaide to Sydney now takes five hours longer than it used to do driving sensible, cover the distance, speeds.

Seeing as the trip time used to be 11 to 12 hours, that takes it right into the fatigue zone when you stick to speed limits.

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    if you get booked in a school zone for not doing 40 but obviously not exceeding the normal limit, you can dispute it and win.
    Now, I exceed the speed limit on a regular basis, but I will never EVER condone speeding in a school zone. It's just reckless and irresponsible. Kids haven't developed their road skills yet, are quick & unpredictable. It's comments like this that do the most harm to the argument for a review of other speeding and enforcement issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisspug

I know what you're saying, but the argument is flawed. Speed limits are set at a particular number to be safe for a variety of different types of vehicles, driver ability & weather conditions using a standard lower than that which would be safe for an average driver in a modern (good condition) car in good weather. When the posted limit says 100 it means 100 not 95 and the driver should do all they can to travel at that limit, and no more.

Now, there are variables which may mean that a driver may not be exactly a the posted limit, which is why there is a buffer zone/leeway. Enforcement of the speed limit needs to allow for drivers who may be going slightly to fast but are doing all they REASONABLY can to not exceed the limit. The responsibility goes both ways.

The 3km/h tolerance in Victoria is ridiculous considering that the Australian Design Rules allow for a 10% inaccuracy of a car's speedo. So a car which is perfectly legal under Federal Law may generate fines in Victoria.

By the way, driving below the limit can be just as dangerous as speeding. It creates a greater disparity in vehicle speeds, increasing the likelyhood of a collision. Drivers who are travelling at the legal limit do not expect to come acoss someone going slower than them. On a blind bend this can be disasterous. It also causes greater stress & frustration to other drivers, which may build to a level where they will take greater risks to get past. This is simple human nature. To say nothing of the fact that it's inconsiderate. Just because you've got time to take things slowly doesn't mean that everyone else does. The amount of people I see driving side by side at 80kms an hour (100 zone) on the airport road here in Brisbane, not allowing anyone else past is just ridiculous. The worst place to do it, there's always going to be someone running late to catch a plane...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information