scratches in paint work
  • Register
  • Help
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default scratches in paint work

I have a god awful driveway that has branches intruding onto it,. so every time I drive up it I end up with another scratch down the side. It is drtiving me insane and I can't cut the bloody branches back 'cos some genius planted these plants too close.

My question is that these scractches can't obviously be washed out, but they aren't deep, can they be buffed away with cut and polish or something??

Advertisement
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I suggest pruning the trees back at ground level .....

Even if you buff the scratches out they'll be back in no time.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

How deep are the scratches? Small as in < 1 mm? Do they show the white primer or worse, bare metal?

If they're small, start with ScratchX or a similar compound. This stuff is good for swirls, ring damage and minor key marks. Going up to old fashioned cut-n-paste polishes is not recommended as it wears away clear coat, reducing the life of the paint job.

If you need to go up a notch from ScratchX, I recommend taking it to a good detailer or a body shop as they have the right compounds and pads to make a it quick and effective job. If you have a random orbital buffer and know how to use it, you probably wouldn't have asked this question, so I'm assuming you don't have one. Part of the magic of buffing is that it heats the paint and smoothes out imperfections in the finish. Too much heat (easily done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing) damages the paintwork beyond buff-out stage.

If there's metal showing, you have no choice... unless you want cancer of the body, you have to get it at cleaned up, rust converted, etched, primed, and for best results, re-painted. It's not as expensive as you might think and you might be able to get any stone chips dealt with at the same time in a bulk deal.

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    , but they aren't deep, can they be buffed away with cut and polish or something??
    As long as they aren't deeper than the metal/undercoat. Cutting compound is pretty harsh. Try a polish instead... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Yeah, it has basically scratched the top clear coat I am thinking. I know what the bare metal looks like as I have had a close encounter with the aforementioned genius' brick wall dividing post at the driveway's entrance.

My only other option is to park on the road, which isn't that bad as it is a quiet street and the guy over the road parks his 504 there as well. But, well, there's nothing like parking in yhour own driveway is there.

I can't cut the bushes down as it is a rental property and all that business, plus I think some of them are in the neighbour's yard anyway. The annoying thing is Rach gets her 205 up there no worries, so it is amazing what an extra 10cm width can do.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Yeah, it has basically scratched the top clear coat I am thinking. I know what the bare metal looks like as I have had a close encounter with the aforementioned genius' brick wall dividing post at the driveway's entrance.

My only other option is to park on the road, which isn't that bad as it is a quiet street and the guy over the road parks his 504 there as well. But, well, there's nothing like parking in yhour own driveway is there.

I can't cut the bushes down as it is a rental property and all that business, plus I think some of them are in the neighbour's yard anyway. The annoying thing is Rach gets her 205 up there no worries, so it is amazing what an extra 10cm width can do.
    Not your trees?

This calls for the unfortuante leaking of some weedkiller.
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Just hack the trees back as far as possible... infact I'd take them right back to the trunk.

If the house owner complains. ... tough luck, your expected to do the gardening and cut the grass. Your idea of gardening is just different to his

Poor buggers that used to own the rental houses I lived in. Every inspection report I used to put "overspray all over shed walls and floor". Never was, but there sure as hell always was by the time I shifted out Strangly the colour of the overspray was always the same colour as my car I was tinkering with

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

i'll cut your trees & take your girlfriends speedline rims & glovebox while im at it.

Swap you ONE rim for a red reflector panel if you have one

Moving the driveway or getting a boundary realignment could be the easiest options
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Thread Information