Motor PCOTY - Renault does well
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default Motor PCOTY - Renault does well

    Well Porsche's new 911 has won PCOTY. No surprise there, really. Although, with Wheels saying it had very poor wet weather braking performance, perhaps Motor didn't test that...

    Anyway, the new RSC 182 Cup did very well, coming in at 6th. Last time it competed in PCOTY it managed 9th.

    Advertisement


    Here are the results:

    Finalists:
    1. Porsche 911 Carrera S
    2. Mitsubishi EVO VIII
    3. Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    4. Mercedes Benz C55 AMG
    5. HSV Clubsport R8
    6. RenaultSport Clio Cup

    Others:
    7. Honda Integra Type S
    8. Holden Monaro CV8
    9. Mercedes Benz SLK350
    10. VW Golf R32
    11. Lotus Exige
    12. Mercedes Benz CL65 AMG
    13. RenaultSport Megane
    14. FPV Falcon GT-P
    15. Audi TT 3.2 V6
    16. Mazda MX-5 SE
    17. Mini Cooper S Chilli
    18. HSV GTO
    19. MG ZT 260
    20. Holden Commodore SS
    DNF. FPV F6 Typhoon
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts U Turn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Good to hear that the little froggy did well.

    Yeah I found it a little strange that Wheels got poor wet braking for the 911, since 911s are well known for exceptional braking.

    I didn't the latest edition was already out, will head out to the newsagents soon

    Why didn't they include the gti180 in the line up? I mean, they should've known it's been at least 2 full days since the last AF 'my car is better' dummyspit.
    Take the long way home....

    - 306 gti6

  3. #3
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Relative $RRP would be interesting on all of these ... cause ultimately money will buy performance.

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Well Bang For Your Buck.. might have a frog on top. - Chris
    ... ptui!

  5. #5
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Well Bang For Your Buck.. might have a frog on top. - Chris
    I'd be very very surprised if the little Renault doesn't win this year's BFYB.
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Concord City, Sir.
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    no Lamborgine.. R34 Skyline..??

    Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

    "More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

  7. #7
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Well, most 911s have been good as a car for a year...

    Or so.

    One day remind me to tell you about how many I used to see on the road and how many I'd see every day in Porsche workshops around Sydney. And I don't mean they were just in there for new tyres.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts U Turn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Well, most 911s have been good as a car for a year...

    Or so.

    One day remind me to tell you about how many I used to see on the road and how many I'd see every day in Porsche workshops around Sydney. And I don't mean they were just in there for new tyres.
    Instead of 'Rear Drive Peugeot Man', have you considered 'Devil's Advocate'?
    Take the long way home....

    - 306 gti6

  9. #9
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Good to hear that the little froggy did well.

    Yeah I found it a little strange that Wheels got poor wet braking for the 911, since 911s are well known for exceptional braking.

    I didn't the latest edition was already out, will head out to the newsagents soon

    Why didn't they include the gti180 in the line up? I mean, they should've known it's been at least 2 full days since the last AF 'my car is better' dummyspit.
    The 180s were released in 2003 wern't they?
    Graham

  10. #10
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The 180s were released in 2003 wern't they?
    Graham
    Yeah, good point
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  11. #11
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Originally posted by jastanis
    Instead of 'Rear Drive Peugeot Man', have you considered 'Devil's Advocate'?
    I wonder where that expression came from?

    I like to keep things balanced and rational when I can...

  12. #12
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The 180s were released in 2003 wern't they?
    Graham
    A shipment of just 25 cars hit Australia one week before Xmas 2003 ... the next two shipments arrived 2 weeks apart in January 2004. So "technically" you would say 2003.

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  13. #13
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Originally posted by XTC206
    A shipment of just 25 cars hit Australia one week before Xmas 2003 ... the next two shipments arrived 2 weeks apart in January 2004. So "technically" you would say 2003.
    That's not necessarily the criteria either...

    A small number might have been around, for instance, for press trial and dealer introduction before the first 25 arrived. What happened in this regard?

    Or were the 25 for that purpose?

    And were dealers taking orders (in other words did they have the model on their books for sale) before the fateful 25 docked?

  14. #14
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Well Porsche's new 911 has won PCOTY. No surprise there, really. Although, with Wheels saying it had very poor wet weather braking performance, perhaps Motor didn't test that...
    Perhaps Motor didnít cook the tyres on the Porsche. In the recent UK Car magazine performance issue it was admitted that the Porsche handling may not have been up to scratch because the car had cooked its tyres being the most popular car used for the track sessions. Perhaps Wheels did the same but didnít admit it.

    Iím surprised not to see the 206Gti 180 there, surely including the R32 Golf which was introduced at around the same time as the 206 180, the 206 180 would have had to be included? Or didnít it make the grade, surely it couldnít be worse than a Commodore SS :-)

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! Atan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Clarkson's test on the Porsche Carrera 4 S reckons it's incredible in the wet due to it's traction control thingy and AWD, and new ceramic brakes which costs a squillion dollars in development and just as much as an option
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

    2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

  16. #16
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    A small number might have been around, for instance, for press trial and dealer introduction before the first 25 arrived. What happened in this regard? Or were the 25 for that purpose?

    And were dealers taking orders (in other words did they have the model on their books for sale) before the fateful 25 docked?
    They had orders (with deposits) going back 2 YEARS. From what I "understand" the first shipment was about a 50/50 split (consumers v's dealers and PAA), but all are compliance plated 2003 ... I would have waited for the 2004 ones (just 3 weeks later - still obviously built in 2003), but I guess if you'd been waiting 2 years it might be hard (then again 3 weeks out of 2 years, you'd think you could wait). I waited 5 months for my 138 ...

    As for the ACTUAL PCOTY criteria ... Dunno

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  17. #17
    SMP addict pugjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Enruoblem
    Posts
    2,098

    Default

    so the RSC finishes up with a final score greater than an HSV Clubby R8 and a merc c55amg (both v8s), and only gets 6th place?

    for those of you playing at home, there was only 4 points seperating the STI WRX and the ren ugly-faced assasin.

    the more i read about the RSC the more i want one!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

    daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara


    previous frogs:

    88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16


    gimme corners. . .


  18. #18
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    and i see the typhoon again failed

    i wonder how other manufacturers have high performance cars and still have a clutch that can last more than the drive off the production line
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! Industrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    A shipment of just 25 cars hit Australia one week before Xmas 2003 ... the next two shipments arrived 2 weeks apart in January 2004. So "technically" you would say 2003.

    - xTc -
    Were the 180s included in PCOTY last time? If they were, they wouldn't be eligible this time.

  20. #20
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    and i see the typhoon again failed

    i wonder how other manufacturers have high performance cars and still have a clutch that can last more than the drive off the production line
    Well it's the same failure that Drive has been reporting...so I'm not sure about the "again" thing.
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! Atan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Article on the Typhoon's clutch failures on drive.com.au recently. Several motoring magazines had reported the failures and apprently the Typhoon guys denied having the problems for a long time and claimed that testers were flat shifting and caused premature failures and so forth. Finally admitted that there was a problem and I think Typhoon has been tempr\orarily withdrawn from sale until problems fixed
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

    2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

  22. #22
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Were the 180s included in PCOTY last time? If they were, they wouldn't be eligible this time.
    Does anyone know the inclusion criteria - or if the 180 was in last year's?

    When is the actual testing carried out? I would imagine it would have well near impossible to get their hands on a 180 before Jan 2004 last year if that was the case.

    And yes, orders did stretch back a fair way
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  23. #23
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Were the 180s included in PCOTY last time? If they were, they wouldn't be eligible this time.
    Can't find a mention in 2003 (understand that) or 2004.

    2003
    Chrysler Viper
    Mercedes-Benzs SL55
    Mercedes-Benzs E55?
    Falcon XR6 Turbo
    HSV Clubsport
    Subaru WRX STi
    Porsche Boxter
    Alfa Romeo 156 GTA
    Audi S3
    BMW X5 4.6i
    Ford Fairmont GHIA V8
    Holden Commodore SV8
    Holden Monaro CV8
    Honda S2000
    HSV Maloo
    Jaguar S-Type R
    Jaguar XKR
    Lotus Elise 111S
    Mazda6 Luxury Sports
    Mini Cooper S
    Mitsubishi Ralliart Magna
    Toyota Camry Sportivo



    2004
    Lamborghini Gallardo,
    Audi S4,
    Audi RS 6,
    Bentley Continental GT,
    BMW M3 CSL,
    Alfa Romeo 147 GTA,
    Mazda RX-8,
    Nissan 350Z Track,
    Holden Astra SRi Turbo,
    Holden Commodore SS,
    HSV Clubsport R8,
    Jaguar XJR,
    Porsche Cayenne Turbo,
    Subaru Liberty GT,
    Volvo S60R,
    BMW Z4 3.0i,
    Chrysler Crossfire,
    CSV Mondo GT370R,
    FPV Falcon GT.

    2004 Top 6:
    Lambo Gallardo 1st
    BMW M3 CSL 2nd
    Audi RS6 wagon 3rd
    350Z track 4th
    HSV Club r8 5th
    BMW Z4 3.0 6th
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  24. #24
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Can't find a mention in 2003 (understand that) or 2004.

    2003
    Chrysler Viper
    Mercedes-Benzs SL55
    Mercedes-Benzs E55?
    Falcon XR6 Turbo
    HSV Clubsport
    Subaru WRX STi
    Porsche Boxter
    Alfa Romeo 156 GTA
    Audi S3
    BMW X5 4.6i
    Ford Fairmont GHIA V8
    Holden Commodore SV8
    Holden Monaro CV8
    Honda S2000
    HSV Maloo
    Jaguar S-Type R
    Jaguar XKR
    Lotus Elise 111S
    Mazda6 Luxury Sports
    Mini Cooper S
    Mitsubishi Ralliart Magna
    Toyota Camry Sportivo



    2004
    Lamborghini Gallardo,
    Audi S4,
    Audi RS 6,
    Bentley Continental GT,
    BMW M3 CSL,
    Alfa Romeo 147 GTA,
    Mazda RX-8,
    Nissan 350Z Track,
    Holden Astra SRi Turbo,
    Holden Commodore SS,
    HSV Clubsport R8,
    Jaguar XJR,
    Porsche Cayenne Turbo,
    Subaru Liberty GT,
    Volvo S60R,
    BMW Z4 3.0i,
    Chrysler Crossfire,
    CSV Mondo GT370R,
    FPV Falcon GT.

    2004 Top 6:
    Lambo Gallardo 1st
    BMW M3 CSL 2nd
    Audi RS6 wagon 3rd
    350Z track 4th
    HSV Club r8 5th
    BMW Z4 3.0 6th
    Bit like in 1970 when the 504 wasn't considered for the Wheels COTY.
    Graham

  25. #25
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Does anyone know the inclusion criteria - or if the 180 was in last year's?

    When is the actual testing carried out? I would imagine it would have well near impossible to get their hands on a 180 before Jan 2004 last year if that was the case.

    And yes, orders did stretch back a fair way
    Haven't bought the Motor Mags leading up to PCOTY where they talk about the entrants... perhaps they just ruled it out as they knew the RSC Cup would do better around the track?
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •