Brisbane Internation Motor Show
  • Register
  • Help

Default Brisbane Internation Motor Show

I went to the motor show for the first time in a couple of years yesterday, and i was damn impressed. I got to sit in every car i wanted to own, and then some that i didn't. I got to walk around see all the cars and shiny stuff, in all there glory and all in all it was a good day.

cars that i liked that i sat in, Honda s2000 ( the best engineering put into any Japanese roadster ever ), Alfa 147 V6 a 300km/hr 186kw weapon, with all the dials in Italian , Citroen C2 VTR ( now i know i want one, but i'll kick myself if they bring the VTS here ) C5 HDi wagon... what a great touring car... 407 HDi touring... as previous.... and the list goes on

other great cars worth a mention... Hyundaiís new concept car (shock horror) it's a Hyundai but damn it looks nice...

Advertisement

cars i have more respect for since the motor show... definitely, C5's, and 407's, either way i'd love a HDi wagon for driving around town, and long hauls

the car i walked away from wanting to own though, after sitting in the megane, GTi 180, and RCS 182, it was the little C2 that i loved the look of and siting in the most, i loved the thing, so good to look at, so good to sit in... must go to the local Citroen dealership and take one for a spin... Iím afraid though that if I do, Iíll walk back in and put down a deposit on one on finance

all in all, it was like being a kid in a candy store, even if there weren't many concept cars out on display, get down there if its still on.
    Last edited by orestes; 7th February 2005 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    Honda s2000 ( the best engineering put into any Japanese roadster ever ), Alfa 147 V6 a 300km/hr 186kw weapon, with all the dials in Italian
    It may have the best engineering, but the mx5 is more fun to drive, and probably just as fast on a twisty road. There's no way any car with 186kW is going to go anywhere near 300 kph unless it has the body shape of one of those solar cars!

Oh how I used to love going to the Motor shows when I lived in Sydney. Unfortunately the motor shows down in Adelaide are crap.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    It may have the best engineering, but the mx5 is more fun to drive, and probably just as fast on a twisty road. There's no way any car with 186kW is going to go anywhere near 300 kph unless it has the body shape of one of those solar cars!

Oh how I used to love going to the Motor shows when I lived in Sydney. Unfortunately the motor shows down in Adelaide are crap.
    mx5... well i'd prefer the s2000 just for the engine in it, i mean come on it IS the ultimate NA engine.

and as for the alfa, its just plain cool even if it doesn't reach its stated top speed... a pity about the resale value

Tadpole

this year was definitely the best brisbane motorshow to date, the last few years have been quite poor, so you havent missed much

yeah that C2 was awesome, i'd love one... also one of my favs

the new golfs were quite nice to sit in it would of been good if they had the new GTI there, the megane/rsm 225 was also quite nice, if the rsc 182 had a similar interior it would be perfection... i was pretty disappointed that you couldnt sit in the sti, evo8, and the 350z... they are only $60k cars, holden and ford had their similarly priced cars open...

Quote Originally Posted by domo
    this year was definitely the best brisbane motorshow to date, the last few years have been quite poor, so you havent missed much

yeah that C2 was awesome, i'd love one... also one of my favs

the new golfs were quite nice to sit in it would of been good if they had the new GTI there, the megane/rsm 225 was also quite nice, if the rsc 182 had a similar interior it would be perfection... i was pretty disappointed that you couldnt sit in the sti, evo8, and the 350z... they are only $60k cars, holden and ford had their similarly priced cars open...
    i'm still disapointed that they won't bring a 3 door golf to australia, in a reasonable price bracket.

i'm still disapointed that they won't bring a 3 door golf to australia, in a reasonable price bracket.
    Isn't the new GTi meant to be arriving in 3 door later this year?

I think Ferrari and BMW would have something to say about having the greatest NA engine - Especially now there is a V10 in the M5. I think the S2000 is up there in hp/litre stakes though.

Domo - I'm pretty sure if you ask they will let you sit in the locked cars as well as long as they aren't on a turntable. My gf managed to get us into the new 911 Carrera S at last year's show! I think they lock them because the open cars get trashed from all the people. After about 10 000 people getting in and out the seat bolsters are stuffed and the car hasn't even done 100km yet!

BMW limit their output to 100hp/L, for reliability and tractability reasons (the cars pull from marvellously low). The s2000 uses a vtec trick to produce its numbers, something like 120hp/L. If you see the torque curve on one of those engines, there is a big drop in torque before the hi-cam comes on, giving the cars relatively poor elasticity. The toyota 190hp engines are worse in that regard:

The corolla sportivo has 189hp and still only does 0-100 in 8.3+ (some quote higher than 9 seconds).

I sat in a few nice cars there the other day. Of particular interest to me was the 206 gti and RCS (being a 205 owner). The gearshifts in both seemed a bit heavy and slow, of course things may improve when rolling. Also, the internal space in both was a lot smaller than the 205 (rear legroom and boot). I guess that's the price you pay for safety, and stiffness.

The megane's 6 speed gearbox felt more accurate and lighter. If only they made a clio sport six. :p

Oh, the new golf. Firstly, i smacked my shoulder on the b pillar when i got in. It's very very far forward compared to the seat, probably side impact protection related. The gearshift in that felt nice and snicky, but i think the clutch has marshmallow syndrome.

I can't believe the prices proton are trying to charge for their Gen2 car. It's absoultely hideous quality wise. The feature list is quite short, the performance isn't there, and they want 29k for the good one (cheapest i saw was 24k, with hub caps etc). That's rediculous when you consider the price of a mid range french hatch, or the focus, or the mazda 6 (which i don't really like, but apparently its quite good).

In that size bracket, the focus would murder the proton in ever single respect.

New swift looked interesting, but i would've preferred the harder styling of the concept. Hope a 3 door gti is in the works, the old one was pretty good fun.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

did you see that hideous delanda demon i just took one look at the chasis and waled off laughing

in fact, i think i've got a picture of it here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brisbane Internation Motor Show-demon.jpg  

The bastard child of a zonda and a diablo. It's just wrong.

Ooh, you see the elfin's? They're quite the groovy, and if you tweak the V8 you can get a theoretical 700hp/tonne out of them. Talk about insane!

Also got a look at a delorean. What a great, craptastic, eccentric car. And the production of it screwed over the irish government. At least Ireland's version of the collins class debarcle was in a movie. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    The bastard child of a zonda and a diablo. It's just wrong.

Ooh, you see the elfin's? They're quite the groovy, and if you tweak the V8 you can get a theoretical 700hp/tonne out of them. Talk about insane!

Also got a look at a delorean. What a great, craptastic, eccentric car. And the production of it screwed over the irish government. At least Ireland's version of the collins class debarcle was in a movie. :p
    the elfins are f***in cool, i'd want to take the holden badges off it though, or i mught just go for the 4AGE powerd one, and you would want a second car to drive when it was raining, but still there cool little beasties.

and yeah, when i got hungry looking for food i ran into the delorean, quite the little beastie, they look even better when you see them in the flesh, and i'm sure the alpine PRV would move it quite well.

did you see that hideous delanda demon i just took one look at the chasis and waled off laughing

in fact, i think i've got a picture of it here
    The sign behind that pic is partly hidden but it looks like it says that car is $19,990!?!? Please explain.

Also, how can you tell what the chassis is like??

- 306 gti6

MrV

Icon10

ah well i was also at the motor show today...

and they had a chassis of the demon car next to the one pictured....

from the brochure i picked up one on the road is $97k...

various stages of development were different prices...

i saw the delorean when i got my hot dog... i just smiled at the miserable failure it was

and c'mon, who didnt love the koennigsegg ccr? as if that wasn't cool.... although the wrap around windscreen made me think of the old saabs ahh the swiss....

The sign behind that pic is partly hidden but it looks like it says that car is $19,990!?!? Please explain.

Also, how can you tell what the chassis is like??
    as MrV said, they had the chasis beside the car.... you can see it in the background of that picture... bloody hideous design...

Also as MrV said they had them in various stages, from complete DIY, to turn key, and yes that sign did say $19,990 but i didn't enquire as to what state that was in

i'll try to find some more pictures of it, if i have any...

anyway... you'd be better off with an elfin kit, or one of the $5000 complete rolling chasis hot rods that were available when you walked in the door of the motor show...

the demon chasis is... well... quite litterally, just bits of steel welded together
    Last edited by orestes; 13th February 2005 at 12:15 AM.

The highlight for me (besides the ladies) by far was the Koenigsegg CCR. 806hp, 920Nm, 1180kg, over 395km/h and it's a full production car being distributed in Australia by Galleria Veloce. Absolute masterpiece of engineering.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by MrV
    ah well i was also at the motor show today...

and they had a chassis of the demon car next to the one pictured....

from the brochure i picked up one on the road is $97k...

various stages of development were different prices...

i saw the delorean when i got my hot dog... i just smiled at the miserable failure it was

and c'mon, who didnt love the koennigsegg ccr? as if that wasn't cool.... although the wrap around windscreen made me think of the old saabs ahh the swiss....

Um, I think that you mean, 'Ah, the Swedes...' maybe
    Funny how easy it is to mix those two.

MrV

Icon11

yes the swedes...

my apologies

i usually pride myself in NOT mixing the two up

my bad....

still love the windscreen

the demon chasis is... well... quite litterally, just bits of steel welded together
    Well, that's what a spaceframe chassis is. Looks simple, but is incredibly strong and light if designed well. A lot of supercars even today still employ this design method over a monocoque, eg Noble, Ultima and I'm pretty sure even Lambos and Ferraris until very recently were using spaceframe.

But yeah, just saw the pic again and can see a small part of the chassis, and it looks like large flat bars make up their 'spaceframe' instead of usual tubular members, so yeah it might not be either light or strong.

- 306 gti6

Well, that's what a spaceframe chassis is. Looks simple, but is incredibly strong and light if designed well. A lot of supercars even today still employ this design method over a monocoque, eg Noble, Ultima and I'm pretty sure even Lambos and Ferraris until very recently were using spaceframe.

But yeah, just saw the pic again and can see a small part of the chassis, and it looks like large flat bars make up their 'spaceframe' instead of usual tubular members, so yeah it might not be either light or strong.
    yer i know about spaceframes, but you could hardly call that a spaceframe... like you said, large flat bars, and looking at it closely not very well designed either...

the best way to put it, is where you would expect the chasis to need the most strength, there isn't a lot there... if you know what i mean...

over all, it looks like it's made a) way to heavy b) not well designed

The had a bullet (mx5 rebuilt on the goldcoast) out the front. They had pictures of its space frame, and wow it looked cool. The model they had was a bullet ss, which had the gen3 v8 stuffed into it.

You can get supercharged ones that weigh about 1 tonne, and can have anything up to and over 500hp.

If you notice an mx-5 that doesn't quite look right (could be the shaking bonnet..), i recommend that you don't try to beat him at the lights. :p

the smile that siting in a real citroen gives you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brisbane Internation Motor Show-img_0009.jpg  

can i afford this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brisbane Internation Motor Show-img_0022.jpg  

trying to make a daihatsu look good
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brisbane Internation Motor Show-img_0013.jpg  

the best concept car for my mind on display, and the C2 VTR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brisbane Internation Motor Show-img_0003.jpg   Brisbane Internation Motor Show-img_0012.jpg  

MrV

orestes,

are you forgetting that really cool toyota (what was it called?) where the seat backs covered the steering wheel and the rear seats were under the sliding cover?

personally i thought the holographic display with pretty neat

maybe not the best concept... but certainly one to attract attention with a pretty big 'wow' factor...

bullet was cool as well.....what about that sliding thinge as a storage solution? its got to be expensive(?)

I actually was rather dissapointed in some of the new cars on show there, particularly the new peugeot range (307, 407). The 407 may have high standards in safety etc and handling; but back seat room, head room and visibility is not a touch on the 405, i was expecting quite a bit more from the new 40' series car after the 406. Its also disapointing not to see some of the better european pug models not making it here, such as both the 206 & 307 sw's, particularly the euro 307 with the glass roof! It was also disapointing with BMW's no show (i was hoping to get a look at the new m5!)

Thread Information