Aftermarket Cruise Control
  • Register
  • Help

Default Aftermarket Cruise Control

Does anyone know of any aftermarket cruise controls for sale at a reasonable price....say less that $200? I need it to go in the Traction for the trip aross to Perth.

Advertisement
    Mark McKibbin

Default cruise control

There is a pretty cheap but ok c.c. I think model is Command AP60 . I think I've seen them in Supercheap Autos, but you can also get them from major parts suppliers, its a fairly common item. Maybe $250?
    They are fairly "universal" to fit - something like a magnet clamped to a drive shaft with a hose-clip type of clamp and a sensor mounted next to that on a bracket supplies the required speed pulse. (like a push-bike speedo).
    You would need to be 12v negative earth, I would think. Also need good vacuum supply.
    This type of unit would easily be removed after the trip if you wanted.
    If you can do it - it would be worth it. I can still remember several trips W-E-W before cruise control, driving with left foot, cramps, etc, and have done 4 trips since with cruise - it makes all the difference.
    Hope you can do it to the old girl - but would Citroen approve??

Fordman.

There is a pretty cheap but ok c.c. I think model is Command AP60 . I think I've seen them in Supercheap Autos, but you can also get them from major parts suppliers, its a fairly common item. Maybe $250?
    They are fairly "universal" to fit - something like a magnet clamped to a drive shaft with a hose-clip type of clamp and a sensor mounted next to that on a bracket supplies the required speed pulse. (like a push-bike speedo).
    You would need to be 12v negative earth, I would think. Also need good vacuum supply.
    This type of unit would easily be removed after the trip if you wanted.
    If you can do it - it would be worth it. I can still remember several trips W-E-W before cruise control, driving with left foot, cramps, etc, and have done 4 trips since with cruise - it makes all the difference.
    Hope you can do it to the old girl - but would Citroen approve??

Fordman.

Agreed,.....it is the AP60....can not remeber the price...but its is around ($199) in our store....you should be able to get them from most auto parts shops...They are DIY unit...so you shouldn t have to many hassles installing one....but like Fordman has mentioned...you ll need good vacum....drives shafts on the traction should be resonably easy to access...They are just behind the front bumper from what i remeber?

On a side note.....I d really like to hear your thoughts regarding the tarction and the upcoming journey....Do you trust the car that much? I love the L15...tell us more about it......

cheers

dino

Thanks for the info Guys, I bought a Command A60 from Supercheap for $199 and installed it this afternoon and it works a treat although it would have been easier if it worked of the coil impulse as some do, as the drive shafts were a bit tricky and I never trust the wired on sort of magnets.

The Traction has been on a Raid last year to Camerons corner and back with very little trouble so I am hoping the a Tarmac tripo to Perth (back on the train) should be OK. The car has an ID19 engine and gearbox so it cruises somewhat better than a standard one. But the best thing is the handling the closest thing I've driven to it is a gokart.
    Mark McKibbin

Default Dun it already!

Quote Originally Posted by markm
    Thanks for the info Guys, I bought a Command A60 from Supercheap for $199 and installed it this afternoon and it works a treat although it would have been easier if it worked of the coil impulse as some do, as the drive shafts were a bit tricky and I never trust the wired on sort of magnets.
    You don't muck around do you? Glad it works ok.
    You're a bit optimistic about the impulse generators, I think they came into being in the late 1970's!
    Good luck on the trip.

Fordman.

Edit: Oh, hang on, yes, you mean using the engine coil impulses? I had forgotten that you could set them up that way.
    By the way, presuming it is manual transmission, did you put in a clutch switch, so it doesn't over-rev the engine with clutch in and slowing?
    Last edited by Fordman; 7th February 2005 at 12:50 AM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Guys,

I've been considering fitting one of these to my CX (more to prevent license loss than anything). How does the vacum capsule handle positive pressures of a turbo charged car Would the cruise control unit throw a wobbly.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I think you would need a vacuum pump or a stepper motor type actuator. When we bought the TDI Discovery years ago they would not give us cruise and I assumed it was because it was a turbo.
    Mark McKibbin

Default Turbo Vacuum

You may just need a vacuum reservoir, which will build up when cruising and on deceleration, and be sufficient to operate the cruise control at all times. If you have a boost gauge you may be able to see just how often you are in positive boost, in my experience it will spend more time in negative pressure than positive, unless you were climbing a long hill, etc.
    You may be able to pick up a vacuum reservoir off a wreck, most modern cars use them for the air cond controls, they usually look like a number of plastic spheres molded together a bit like an egg carton. There just needs to be an inline one-way valve on the line to the intake manifold. Maybe your car already has a reservoir you can tap into? If it has vacuum operated aircond controls, it probably does.
    As MarkM says, you can also get electric operation, but these are expensive.
    The AP60 is a basic unit, there are some better quality units (with more features) at www.autron.com.au if you were looking a bit further.
    Cheers
    Fordman.
    Last edited by Fordman; 8th February 2005 at 04:59 AM. Reason: website address - was right first time!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman
    You may just need a vacuum reservoir, which will build up when cruising and on deceleration, and be sufficient to operate the cruise control at all times. If you have a boost gauge you may be able to see just how often you are in positive boost, in my experience it will spend more time in negative pressure than positive, unless you were climbing a long hill, etc.
    You may be able to pick up a vacuum reservoir off a wreck, most modern cars use them for the air cond controls, they usually look like a number of plastic spheres molded together a bit like an egg carton. There just needs to be an inline one-way valve on the line to the intake manifold. Maybe your car already has a reservoir you can tap into? If it has vacuum operated aircond controls, it probably does.
    As MarkM says, you can also get electric operation, but these are expensive.
    The AP60 is a basic unit, there are some better quality units (with more features) at www.autron.com.au if you were looking a bit further.
    Cheers
    Fordman.
    Thanks Guys,

Would a Renault Fuego have a vacum reseviour (that most certaily sounds like the easiest way to handle this).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Vacuum supply

Shane,
    I must have been a bit knackered the other night - I completely forgot one logical thing - that if you've got vacuum power brake assist, then you will have vacuum enough for a cruise control. Even a diesel (which does not have much, if any, manifold vacuum) if it has vacuum power brakes - then it must have a vacuum pump, and you must be able to run cruise from the same supply source.
    However, as the brake booster itself is a reservoir (usually the one-way valve is at the hose connection to the booster) it is able to hold several brake applications even if the turbo is giving the manifold positive pressure some of the time. All I am saying here is that if the booster can do it, a cruise will run off a small reservoir.
    To test if a car has a vacuum reservoir - if it has vacuum operated air-cond controls or vacuum central door locking - then run engine for a while to build vacuum. Then turn off engine and see if the dash vent controls open & close 3 or 4 times before they stop working. If they do then there will be a reservoir somewhere. You would just need to tap into the vacuum side of the reservoir somewhere (not the engine supply line side).

Is it possible that the car you want cruise control already has a reservoir? Most cars do as far as I know - but I cant help you with the Cits and Renaults - but my Scenic seems to be operated by cables, not vacuum.

Shane, I know you won't like this, but there is a spiffy little reservoir on the old XD/XE model Fords (mounted on top of the heater assembly under the dash)(it's probably quite cheap new - if still available - the valve is integral - pushed into the rubber grommet in the reservoir). It's about the size of my ADSL modem. I think the the later Fords have a bigger unit - but they all have them, whether air-cond or just heater fitted.

Cheers, Fordman.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Thanks Guys,

Would a Renault Fuego have a vacum reseviour (that most certaily sounds like the easiest way to handle this).

seeya,
    Shane L.

604's have vacuum tanks in them

i'll check the shed to see if i kept the one from the last car i wrecked if you like

if not i am sure i will come across another one

they are under the passenger side front guard in front of the wheel so if you see one in a wrecking yard you will know where to look

take a 10mm socket with you and a knife
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I CX has a high pressure braking system (it is a proper Citroen after all) so it does not have a brake booster.
    Mark McKibbin

Did you attach the magnets to the drive shaft using wire or cable ties? In my kit the instructions say use cable ties and there is supposed to be 3 magnets which allow a cable tie to pass through them.
    What i got however was 2 magnets that looked totally different to those in the instructions and two pieces of wire to attach the magnets (This fact i had to work out for myself as it was not mentioned in the instructions). The instructions did not show these magnets or wire were even in the kit or steps on how to install them. I have just installed the cruise control but i cant get the actuator to pull and it might also be the magnets that need adjusting. Since I got wire it'll take ages to re-adjust them.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 1st July 2005 at 12:19 AM.

twm

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    Did you attach the magnets to the drive shaft using wire or cable ties? In my kit the instructions say use cable ties and there is supposed to be 3 magnets which allow a cable tie to pass through them.
    What i got however was 2 magnets that looked totally different to those in the instructions and two pieces of wire to attach the magnets (This fact i had to work out for myself as it was not mentioned in the instructions). The instructions did not show these magnets or wire were even in the kit or steps on how to install them. I have just installed the cruise control but i cant get the actuator to pull and it might also be the magnets that need adjusting. Since I got wire it'll take ages to re-adjust them.
    I used these things on different cars for years and allways had wire to tie the magnets on. You go aroud the shaft twice with the wire then twist it tight.
    Never had a problem

Most of the units have a sensitivity adjustment to compensate for the different throttle leverage and required response.

On a car with CVs you are better off if you can get the magnets around the cv boot area where it is a large diameter than the shaft.

Cheers

I have a Command AP300 in my 405 dt. Originally it used the magnets on the driveshaft, but I have since converted to run of the revcounter pulse. This also means using a different input wire to the cruise control computer so as to retain proper sensitivy.

I have rung Command in Sydney twice and have always found them very helpful.

Command also make a model suited for cars running high manifold pressures, these use a stepper or servo motor to adjust road speed, but they cost in excess of $400 .

Terry

XTC

I need it to go in the Traction for the trip aross to Perth.
    When IS or WAS this ? (the trip to Perth that is? ) Was it for Cit-in ?

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    When IS or WAS this ? (the trip to Perth that is? ) Was it for Cit-in ?

- xTc -
    Been and gone. Easter, I think it was.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by WLB
    Been and gone. Easter, I think it was.
    I went to Cit-in ... just wondered if I'd missed catching up with Mark, wanted to thank him personally for the help given regarding the www.PCCWA.org.au site.

-xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Default Cruise Control using magnets on a front wheel drive

I have an old magnet driven, vacuum using after-market CC I'd like to fit to the Fuego. No problem on the old Commodore with its RWD tailshaft. How do I adapt this thing to a front wheel drive? I just don't see the room to strap these magnets on anywhere!

Thread Information