Crystaline growth blocking a radiator?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default Crystaline growth blocking a radiator?

A friend had to take his crummydore in for service as it showed signs of overheating.

Radiator service centre got back to him later and said that he would have to get a new radiator as there was crystaline growth blocking his radiator and nothing will clean it out?

According to the Radiator man, if you use that "bright green" corrosion preventer, this can form crystals in the radiator system if it is not properly flushed with copious amounts of water at coolant changes.

Cost my friend quite a few hundred dollars to get his car back on the road and it is operating as it should BUT! why am I suspicious - perhaps because I have never heard this one before.

I know that if my wife had taken her overheating daily driver in for a similar service she would have accepted the "experts" explanation and the fix would have cost more than the $20 I spent on a new radiator cap that fixed her toyota's overheating.

Still just because I have never heard of this "crystalline growth" blocking radiator systems, doesn't mean it isn't true - over to you our knowledge base for comment!!

Advertisement

Ken

I think there is a combination of circumstances involved here. An alloy radiator and overdue servicing of generally glycol based coolants which go acidic and end up causing radiator corrosion. Because the radiator tubes are so thin, and alloy corrodes nicely it generally just ends up blocking the radiator.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i have seen build ups of lime looking substances in 504 blocks so i'd say it can be possible

these build ups were in late 504's (78>) that were serviced regularly by dealers

now then 604's had a higher coolant ratio than previous 504's so maybe the 504's had more of a chance to have the build ups happen due to a slower coolant flow through the block and the dealers put the same mix into the 504's

i know with the commodes though that you can only run certain types of coolant otherwise you will lose welsch plugs due to corrosion
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

Default Thanks

I hadn't heard of this malady, corrosion yes, but crystalline growth no, I suppose its a play on words and sounds plausible. Hadn't seen any mention in radiator coolant blurbs either.

I use Nulon exclusively in all my Fuego's and always use mineral free water (very little cost these days and available in most supermarkets) when replacing coolant in their systems and the radiators and systems are flushed whenever I drain coolant, and no sign of any restrictions so far.

Of course if a professional said my rad was stuffed I would always ask for the old radiator just to see for myself - as Bob Hawke would say "Silly old Bastard!! but its a good reality check!

Ken

Surely the crystals dissolve when water is reintroduced?

Iím wondering if they are getting corrosion confused with crystallisation. Sort of that fuzzy salty residue that forms when the coolant dries out after weeping through a dodgy radiator hose joint. To some people corrosion and crystallisation are probably the same thing.

It probably sounds a lot more speccy to the owner that it is actually a coolant problem (the dealer likely implying an owner induced problem) than an actual fault in the construction of the radiator, or a previous delayed coolant change on behalf of the dealer which has caused the problem.

1000+ Posts

well if it turns acidic then there wouldnt be much calcium...
    I'd say its the corrosive salts building up & more than likely a good wash would've dont the trick!

The ol 15yo hyundai never had a problem on Auto One's green stuff!

What's this coolant stuff you blokes keep talking about ? 400 000 k's in 13 years in my last Fuego with nothing but tap water !

Quote Originally Posted by scrumhead
    What's this coolant stuff you blokes keep talking about ? 400 000 k's in 13 years in my last Fuego with nothing but tap water !
    What happened to it if it was your last Fuego?

Tap water ????

I'd say there would have been nothing left of the engine if pulled down

sorry to say but it sounds like a typical backyard type idea that tap water is fine as "that's what we run in old HQ holden so it should be good enough for this french thing"

good luck to you if you got 13 years out of it without any inhibitor in it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Maybe his tapwater comes from a nice concrete rainwater tank?

Or somebody nonchalantly left a stick of solder in the bottom of the block...

Default The Elixer of Life ?

Anyone interested in a little business venture?
    I propose we load up a truck with some second hand wine barrels and head for Ballina.
    If the local water is as good as "scrumhead's" endorsement we will be on a winner!

PS Look after yourself "scrummy". The world's aluminium cartels will be out to buy your silence or measure you up for some alloy shoes, big ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell

maybe it's the same water that orestes has been drinking
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Anyone know if this may actually, hypothetically,if you're in a bad spot of trouble, work?
    Always been interested in the old sacrificial metal thing. Especially if its not the alloy head thats sacrificing itself to save some dodgy bumpers...
    Didn't some old '50's Beetles try it with lumps of lead welded to the sills?? (real helpful at the traffic light grand prix)
    Anyway, wouldn't the coolant bottle be the best place for the lump of solder??
    Maybe the water just has high concentrations of heavy metals???
    Stu
    2008 Grand Scenic
    2000 Xantia SX
    :2006 Disco 3
    :mercedes: 1992 300TE
    Previous
    1974 12GL
    1974 17TL
    1976 12GL Wagon
    1974 17TS
    1982 20TS
    1986 25GTX

Icon7

Memories come flooding back - we used sacrifiicial anodes in our Simcas and in my Peugeot 504. Water (coolant) was always clear and never had heads corrode in Simca.
    We also used to collect rainwater in non-metalic bowls for radiator and battery.
    Last edited by Westair; 4th February 2005 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Addition
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

ARAIK the best place for a sacrificial metal is in the water that's in circulation... so it can be a link in the elecrolytic chain (?) rather than just some kind of ballast.

I really don't know why it isn't a common practice... except that it would put a damper on sales of coolant of course.

i'll stick to coolant and rain water stored away from daylight in plastic drums thank you

never had a corrosion problem yet and not one to start to entertain a thought of sticking anything else internally in the engine

i'd rather play with tailshafts
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

ARAIK the best place for a sacrificial metal is in the water that's in circulation... so it can be a link in the elecrolytic chain (?) rather than just some kind of ballast.

I really don't know why it isn't a common practice... except that it would put a damper on sales of coolant of course.

coolant does more than prevent corrosion though

it lowers the freezing point and raises the boiling point of the cooling medium which then protects the engine in extreme temperatures
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Antifreeze... yes that's a different issue...

But sacrificial metals are a good thing. You have commented on this yourself when talking about brass bits on Volvo V6s.

Antifreeze... yes that's a different issue...

But sacrificial metals are a good thing. You have commented on this yourself when talking about brass bits on Volvo V6s.

ah yes i know but the brass bits caused corrosion in that case

so the engine was the sacrificial anode there

i'll leave things like this to hot water systems with magnesium rods in them to prevent corrosion and leave the coolant to do it's job in the engine

average life of an engine is around 15-25 years ?

average life of a hot water system is 7years and in some cases you can get around 10 out of them

now i know someone is going to chime in and say they have a hot water system that is older then this but remember i did say average age
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

How can brass be dangerous to the system and an anode not protective?

Default Chrystaline growth...

Quote Originally Posted by Westair
    Memories come flooding back - we used sacrifiicial anodes in our Simcas and in my Peugeot 504. Water (coolant) was always clear and never had heads corrode in Simca.
    We also used to collect rainwater in non-metalic bowls for radiator and battery.
    Westy, The sacrificial anodes you used in your Simcas, were they those things that looked like a coil of resin* cored solder that were dropped into the top tank of the rad?

Back in those days special radiator coolants were only used by consenting adults in the privacy of their garages!

* Pronounced, "rosin".

Soluble oil was the go in the sixties, and fifties, probably...

Sounds like you'll all be glad to know that my new Fuego is being well looked after, including the appropriate coolant in the radiator. If I knew how to get the pretty green quotes I would, but ???
    The last Fuego (my first venture into French cars) was originally bought cheap and in fair condition. I only planned to keep it for a few years but regardless of the lack of maintenance and the harsh treatment it just kept on going. Maybe I'm the only bloke in the world that didn't have the time or money to do regular maintenance but the car never let me down anyway (I never touched the timing belt either). I sold it 18 months ago with 9 months rego and it was still going strong and on the few occassions I removed the radiator and hoses there was very little sign of corrosion anywhere.
    As for any ideas of fortunes to be made or finding the fountain of youth, forget it. Whilst Ballina may be pretty close to heaven the water aint one of the reasons. With the recent droughts you need to keep your teeth closed just to filter out the frog sh#@.

Originally posted by scrumhead
    .....If I knew how to get the pretty green quotes I would, but ???
    Well, 'quote' is the operative word!

Just click on that spot where it's shown on the bottom right of the post you want to quote and all the magic happens...

Funny this, I'm off to your area over the next couple of days, I'll be getting some nice concrete-tank rainwater to keep me going from that area... but not from Ballina itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information